ADVERTISEMENT

Best Players

HookNLadder77

Sep 27, 2024
Wanted some input on best players you’ve ever seen at your schools. Not who necessarily went on to have the most collegiate or NFL success, but the best players when they were playing in your team’s colors in high school. A few for me PERSONALLY in no particular order.

Albemarle- TA Mclendon. The best player I have ever seen, and arguably the greatest NC HS football player ever, up there with Chris Leak. Numbers speak for themselves. Guy was an absolute machine.

Thomasville- EJ Abrams-Ward. One of the freakiest athletes I’ve seen at the 1A level. Kid had a cannon, could run, play defense, would light you up. Just one hell of an athlete.

East Surry- Chris Griggs. One of the smoothest runners I have ever seen in 1A, smooth as butter on toast. Could make you miss, but could also put one foot in the ground and take off. Great player.

Elkin- Terry Adams. An absolute force off of the end and pretty much unblockable. Kid had power but an incredible first step and made so many plays in the backfield.

Robbinsville- Cuttler Adams. Holding a SMC record is something in its own right, and this kid was the definition of consistency. Vision, speed, power. A great kid by all accounts, and a great player.

Murphy- Carl Pickens. Another candidate for best 1A player ever. Played WR at the next level, but may have been an even better DB. Truly special and generational athlete.

I know I have left too many players out, but this is just some of my list. Would love to hear some opinions on these players or others I haven’t mentioned. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Reactions: RealStihl
Wanted some input on best players you’ve ever seen at your schools. Not who necessarily went on to have the most collegiate or NFL success, but the best players when they were playing in your team’s colors in high school. A few for me PERSONALLY in no particular order.

Albemarle- TA Mclendon. The best player I have ever seen, and arguably the greatest NC HS football player ever, up there with Chris Leak. Numbers speak for themselves. Guy was an absolute machine.

Thomasville- EJ Abrams-Ward. One of the freakiest athletes I’ve seen at the 1A level. Kid had a cannon, could run, play defense, would light you up. Just one hell of an athlete.

East Surry- Chris Griggs. One of the smoothest runners I have ever seen in 1A, smooth as butter on toast. Could make you miss, but could also put one foot in the ground and take off. Great player.

Tarboro- Todd Gurley. The resume speaks for itself, but even in high school this guy was a monster. One of the best state championship games I’ve ever seen. I believe like 250 yards and 4 TD.

Elkin- Terry Adams. An absolute force off of the end and pretty much unblockable. Kid had power but an incredible first step and made so many plays in the backfield.

Mount Airy- Luke Wheeler. Maybe the best “all around” player I’ve ever seen in 1A. An absolute menace on defense but could take it to the house at any point on O. Never seen a kid make so many plays on defense. Special.

Robbinsville- Cuttler Adams. Holding a SMC record is something in its own right, and this kid was the definition of consistency. Vision, speed, power. A great kid by all accounts, and a great player.

Murphy- Carl Pickens. Another candidate for best 1A player ever. Played WR at the next level, but may have been an even better DB. Truly special and generational athlete.

I know I have left too many players out, but this is just some of my list. Would love to hear some opinions on these players or others I haven’t mentioned. Sorry for the long post.
Tarboro wasn’t 1A when Todd played

Reactions: curtiscummings1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT