ADVERTISEMENT

Best offense and best defense in 1A

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Just making things interesting before the season starts. Who had the best offense and who had the best defense in 1A in the history of N.C. I know it may be debatable.

Mount Airy's 2008 team will rank above or with the best of them in 1A. They went 16-0 scoring 845 points with 94 against with 6 shutouts and blew out everyone. Only one team has scored more points but less than 900 and this is including all classes 1A thru 4A.. Probably one of 2 schools with the best Offence and probably(MA) the only school with the best O & D in the same year.

Last edited:
Only Albemarle has scored more points in a season but I don't think they had fewer points scored on them in the same season. Mount Airy had the best O &D in 2008 than any school in the state including 1A thru 4A.

MOST POINTS IN A SEASON (13+ GAMES)
1) Albemarle 898 2001
2) Albemarle 850 2002
3) Mount Airy 845 2008
4) Maxton (13 games) 804 1975
5) East Surry 799 2019
6) Reidsville 785 2019
7) Hickory 767 1996

MOST TOUCHDOWNS, SEASON
1) Albemarle 120 2001 (16 gm)
2) Mount Airy 119 2008 (16 gm)
3) Independence 116 2004 (15 gm)
4) East Surry 113 2019 (15 gm)

NCHSAA Record Book

Last edited:
TA Mclendon is still the best player I’ve seen in person on the football field. Those Albermarle teams were dominant and had dismantled some pretty talented teams along the way. Those competiton was a little better than the Wilkes County teams of the world and Alleghany.
Got to agree. The early 2000's Albemarle teams were on another level. I never saw them, but everyone will bring up the 87 Murphy, and 76 Robbinsville teams. 2019 East Surry was good, and they beat my Mountaineers, but they aren't really in the conversation of best ever. 2008 Mount Airy was also good, but the competition was lacking, again, probably in the top 10, but not in the best ever conversation.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
T.A. was great....but they played a lot of cupcake teams too....South Davidson...Chatham central etc...there conference wasn't much better than Mvac conference. Granted I think they played north wilkes in 1st round one year and put almost 80 on them....Granted north wilkes was like 1 and 10 and had no business in playoffs

Got to agree. The early 2000's Albemarle teams were on another level. I never saw them, but everyone will bring up the 87 Murphy, and 76 Robbinsville teams. 2019 East Surry was good, and they beat my Mountaineers, but they aren't really in the conversation of best ever. 2008 Mount Airy was also good, but the competition was lacking, again, probably in the top 10, but not in the best ever conversation.
MA 2008 & 2009 teams went 30-1.Mount Airy's 2008 went 16-0 & 2009 went 15-1 losing by 1 pt in OT to Wallace Rose Hill who also beat Murphy, winning the State Championship again in 2010 total. I answered the question and Mount Airy Played and beat some good teams that year. 2A Starmount, 51-7, and Starmount ranked 8th went to the 4th round that year in 2A losing to #1 Newton-Conover. Yes, they played weak teams but what top 2 teams year in and year out don't play weak teams ?
Starmount, rival North Surry, and East Surry always give Mount Airy a tough game even in their down years but had nothing for MA in 2008 or 2009. The starters only played 1st and 2nd quarters in 2008 and some only played 1 qtr. Elkin came in 2nd and East Surry 3rd that year. I know you will think this means nothing but never the less I answered the question asked that showed on the NCHSAA record books, and no 1A team would have beat them that year with all starters in just like no 1A team could have beat East Surry in 2019 and they played 2 better teams in Reidsville & Tarboro. JMO ! ! !

TA Mclendon is still the best player I’ve seen in person on the football field. Those Albermarle teams were dominant and had dismantled some pretty talented teams along the way. Those competiton was a little better than the Wilkes County teams of the world and Alleghany.
Man y’all are slamming on wilkes county for no reason

Man y’all are slamming on wilkes county for no reason
Correct me if I’m wrong but the early 2000s we’re not friendly to that county? I didn’t live in the area during that time so I could be wrong. No disrespect intended. I’m a big fan of West Wilkes and look forward to the day they are consistently competitive. I think they’ll get there with the current coaching staff.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the early 2000s we’re not friendly to that county? I didn’t live in the area during that time so I could be wrong. No disrespect intended. I’m a big fan of West Wilkes and look forward to the day they are consistently competitive. I think they’ll get there with the current coaching staff.
If I remember correctly, mid to late 2000’s W . Wilkes was respectful. And until recent years, I always thought Wilkes Central could hold their own most nights.

Last edited:
MA 2008 & 2009 teams went 30-1.Mount Airy's 2008 went 16-0 & 2009 went 15-1 losing by 1 pt in OT to Wallace Rose Hill who also beat Murphy, winning the State Championship again in 2010 total. I answered the question and Mount Airy Played and beat some good teams that year. 2A Starmount, 51-7, and Starmount ranked 8th went to the 4th round that year in 2A losing to #1 Newton-Conover. Yes, they played weak teams but what top 2 teams year in and year out don't play weak teams ?
Starmount, rival North Surry, and East Surry always give Mount Airy a tough game even in their down years but had nothing for MA in 2008 or 2009. The starters only played 1st and 2nd quarters in 2008 and some only played 1 qtr. Elkin came in 2nd and East Surry 3rd that year. I know you will think this means nothing but never the less I answered the question asked that showed on the NCHSAA record books, and no 1A team would have beat them that year with all starters in just like no 1A team could have beat East Surry in 2019 and they played 2 better teams in Reidsville & Tarboro. JMO ! ! !

I always said that 08 Thomasville team and the 08 Mt Airy team matched up a year too late…still even in the 09 game it was a classic with Mt Airy winning by a touchdown. As a loyal fan I gotta put out there that Thomasville lost a lot of starters from that 08 team too with only about 12 seniors on the team and only 8-9 of those played regularly

Be careful...ask T.A what happened to him and Albemarle.by East Wilkes .by the hands of Luke Samples at QB at Albemarle. They knocked Albemarle out of the playoffs and beat them by 21 or so. The next season ask TA what happened to him at West Wilkes...when West beat them by nearly 40 points at West Wilkes...just check the archives..before ya speak..There have been a few howbeit a very few Wilkes county teams that have held their own...That same year...East Wilkes QB Luke Samples broke the State Record on State Champion Starmount by passing for 580 or so yards in a losing effort to Starmount...Chris Leak (Independence)may have eventually broke that record. Justin Call was the feature WR in that offense..and if im not mistaken had a state record for a while with over 120 receptions or so that year.

Last edited:
Only Albemarle has scored more points in a season but I don't think they had fewer points scored on them in the same season. Mount Airy had the best O &D in 2008 than any school in the state including 1A thru 4A.

MOST POINTS IN A SEASON (13+ GAMES)
1) Albemarle 898 2001
2) Albemarle 850 2002
3) Mount Airy 845 2008
4) Maxton (13 games) 804 1975
5) East Surry 799 2019
6) Reidsville 785 2019
7) Hickory 767 1996

MOST TOUCHDOWNS, SEASON
1) Albemarle 120 2001 (16 gm)
2) Mount Airy 119 2008 (16 gm)
3) Independence 116 2004 (15 gm)
4) East Surry 113 2019 (15 gm)

NCHSAA Record Book

Tarboro scored 793 in 2018.

1986 Murphy Defense was pretty stingy. Never gave up more than 8 points in a game.

1986 (15-0)

Murphy 42 Franklin 0 W
Murphy 32 Union County, GA 3 W
Murphy 28 Sweetwater, TN 7 W
Murphy 41 Rabun County, GA 7 W
Murphy 56 Cullowhee 6 W
Murphy 45 Cherokee 7 W
Murphy 43 Hayesville 6 W
Murphy 48 Andrews 0 W
Murphy 55 Robbinsville 6 W
Murphy 25 Swain County 0 W
Murphy 44 Alleghany County 8 W*
Murphy 42 Rosman 7 W*
Murphy 14 Hendersonville 7 W*
Murphy 46 Clarkton 6 W*
Murphy 27 Tabor City 3 W*

1986 Murphy Defense was pretty stingy. Never gave up more than 8 points in a game.

1986 (15-0)

Murphy 42 Franklin 0 W
Murphy 56 Cullowhee 6 W
Murphy 45 Cherokee 7 W
Murphy 43 Hayesville 6 W
Murphy 48 Andrews 0 W
Murphy 42 Rosman 7 W*
Murphy 46 Clarkton 6 W*
IMO the best 1a team ever

Really besides North Wilkes each of the schools especially West and Central were quite competitive back then. Central's best team was 2007 and West had an excellent team in 2001 and some good ones between 2005-2007. West was 1A then against Elkin and MA in 2005-2008 and never amounted to what they could have been; put then in the Mountain Valley instead of Starmount vs Ashe, North Surry and Wilkes Central's teams around then it woulda been one fun conference. East also had some good squads; their 2009 team had a good offense and upset a real good East Surry team that year; they also were quite good in 2004 and made a run in small 1A in 2007. North Wilkes had a real hard time until Chipman and that 2013 senior class got there.

Surprised none of the Elkin teams aren't on here yet.. that 2003 team in particular was a beast. Granted the NW was down that year but they beat on everyone pretty good that year. They also beat a decent Salisbury team under Pinyan and scored well on MA and Starmount. Only team who challenged them was Swain but Elkin won it out.

Despite their forfeit losses in 2006 that team was as good in my opinion.

1986 (15-0)

Murphy 42 Franklin 0 W
Murphy 56 Cullowhee 6 W
Murphy 45 Cherokee 7 W
Murphy 43 Hayesville 6 W
Murphy 48 Andrews 0 W
Murphy 42 Rosman 7 W*
Murphy 46 Clarkton 6 W*
Had to google….Clarkton?…….the “Clarkton Blue Devils”….. too cool!
Small town just outside of Bladenboro. School closed in ‘92….read some history on the school….they were the “Warriors” prior to 1970…and then merged with Booker T. Washington…..and the students from both schools voted on a new mascot….the “Blue Devils” won the vote! Great choice!…IMO! 😁
It appears….They were a powerhouse in 1a….especially basketball!
That’s good stuff!

Mount Airy's 2008 team will rank above or with the best of them in 1A. They went 16-0 scoring 845 points with 94 against with 6 shutouts and blew out everyone. Only one team has scored more points but less than 900 and this is including all classes 1A thru 4A.. Probably one of 2 schools with the best Offence and probably(MA) the only school with the best O & D in the same year.
I would have like to have seen Thomasville vs MT Airy 2008. Both were 16-0, but I guess we will never know who would have won.

Really besides North Wilkes each of the schools especially West and Central were quite competitive back then. Central's best team was 2007 and West had an excellent team in 2001 and some good ones between 2005-2007. West was 1A then against Elkin and MA in 2005-2008 and never amounted to what they could have been; put then in the Mountain Valley instead of Starmount vs Ashe, North Surry and Wilkes Central's teams around then it woulda been one fun conference. East also had some good squads; their 2009 team had a good offense and upset a real good East Surry team that year; they also were quite good in 2004 and made a run in small 1A in 2007. North Wilkes had a real hard time until Chipman and that 2013 senior class got there.
The 2001 West Wilkes team defeated Charlotte Catholic 52-0 in the 1st Round that year. That was a year before Catholic had put in their new system. In this lifetime only a handful of teams in the State can beat Catholic.

Elkin 2003 was probably their best team ever. Of course they had a few transfers that year from East Wilkes.

Crazy part was without them they still woulda been excellent. Their 2001/02 teams played with so few kids but were so good. We always used their example to kids during the summer.. "we aren't afraid to play with less than 20 kids Elkin won a title that way!"

Reading their 2003 preview in the MA newspaper Grissom's one issue ahead of time was the kicking game.. most teams would kill to have that as their main headache!

The 2001 West Wilkes team defeated Charlotte Catholic 52-0 in the 1st Round that year. That was a year before Catholic had put in their new system. In this lifetime only a handful of teams in the State can beat Catholic.

That game vs Catholic starts about an hr and 15 minutes in.

They thudded them pretty good which never happened much when Oddo was there. Surry Central also beat them in 1998 in an endowment game when Kelly Holder was their HC.

2015 east Wilkes was a good team

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT