ADVERTISEMENT

Best Independance Team

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
I thought I would throw out a fun topic. Who would you say was the best Independence team out of all the ones that won all those State Championship games in a row.
I would probably with Chris Leak senior year. But just my opinion.

2004 was the best Indy team, hands down. They not only were loaded on offense as usual but had a championship defense as well. That defense gave up 7 points per game. They could have had an average offense and still won. Now their offense did average 54 points which is the best in school history.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
2014 New Bern vs 2002 Indy would probably be the best matchup. Chris Leak was more of a pocket passer and we were build to shut down the passing game. But that 2004 Indy with Joe Cox was probably the best high school football team in NC history in my opinion. Nobody would beat team in my opinion
I would have liked to have seen Cherry and Hughes at CB against those Indy teams for NB.

2014 New Bern vs 2002 Indy would probably be the best matchup. Chris Leak was more of a pocket passer and we were build to shut down the passing game. But that 2004 Indy with Joe Cox was probably the best high school football team in NC history in my opinion. Nobody would beat team in my opinion
Their personnel was unbelievable. They could go 4-5 WR and their was no drop off. If you put a LB on a WR it was taking candy from a baby. If you went to a nickel or dime package they would run it down your throat. TK wasnt coaching that team but his finger prints were all over it and they were very well coached on top of all that talent.

2001 is my number two with 2002 and 2003 very close.

2000 started three seniors.

2004 had three career NFL players. Nicks, Massaquoi, and linebacker Smith. All but two of the starting 22 played at a four year college and one of those passed away from a defective heart as headed to WCU. The O Line was huge and four of the five started as freshmen in college with the fifth playing at USC.

2001 is my number two with 2002 and 2003 very close.

2000 started three seniors.

2004 had three career NFL players. Nicks, Massaquoi, and linebacker Smith. All but two of the starting 22 played at a four year college and one of those passed away from a defective heart as headed to WCU. The O Line was huge and four of the five started as freshmen in college with the fifth playing at USC.
LOADED!

2004 was the best. The biggest understatement in all of sports history came from Joe Cox after throwing an incredible 8 TDs in the season opener against East Meck. Cox was quoted after the game "I felt comfortable out there". Gee you think? LOL. I enjoyed those Indy teams immensely but it unfortunately a bit embarrassing thst the streak ended to an out if state team in Ohio. I was hoping Indy would go there snd make a huge statement. As it was it sonewhat made North Carolina football look bad to lose out of state to end the streak. Fair or not to Indy thats how I felt after they lost in Ohio to by all accounts a very average Ohio team.

2004 was the best. The biggest understatement in all of sports history came from Joe Cox after throwing an incredible 8 TDs in the season opener against East Meck. Cox was quoted after the game "I felt comfortable out there". Gee you think? LOL. I enjoyed those Indy teams immensely but it unfortunately a bit embarrassing thst the streak ended to an out if state team in Ohio. I was hoping Indy would go there snd make a huge statement. As it was it sonewhat made North Carolina football look bad to lose out of state to end the streak. Fair or not to Indy thats how I felt after they lost in Ohio to by all accounts a very average Ohio team.
That was an awful trip. They ended up have to bus like 6 hours into the city and then get dressed. That played a big roll in that loss.

The team that fell to Cincinnati (Ohio) Elder High School, 41-34, in overtime on September 13, 2007 in the Kirk Herbstreit Challenge in Cincinnati. That was the best Independence team ever, because the streak was over. LOL

Indy left the school just after 5am for the airport. Layover in Atlanta then a flight to central Ohio and a bus ride to the stadium for a walk around arriving after 9pm.

They dominated the first half but were worn out by fourth quarter. Some weird things went on with that deal. Promised direct flight to Cincinnati. Nah. Hotel in downtown by the stadium. Ended up at far side of the airport in Kentucky.

Dropped pass, fumble, couple of calls that did not go their way. Perfect storm.

Elder lost their senior QB first half of the next game. He reminded me of the qb for New Bern that season.

The weakest Indy team along with 2000 and 2009.

Indy left the school just after 5am for the airport. Layover in Atlanta then a flight to central Ohio and a bus ride to the stadium for a walk around arriving after 9pm.

They dominated the first half but were worn out by fourth quarter. Some weird things went on with that deal. Promised direct flight to Cincinnati. Nah. Hotel in downtown by the stadium. Ended up at far side of the airport in Kentucky.

Elder lost their senior QB first half of the next game. He reminded me of the qb for New Bern that season.

Brett Williams! Ended up playing baseball at NC State.

Reactions: btango

5 mile trip for Elder to play in a stadium they were very familiar with.

Reactions: btango
2003 we was better 2004 walked onto the field and they looked like a college team.

2003 we was better 2004 walked onto the field and they looked like a college team.

Indy was moving at will against Richmond in 2003 until Joe Cox was hurt. Game changer for Indy O. Today, Ellerbee is ejected on that hit.

Indy was moving at will against Richmond in 2003 until Joe Cox was hurt. Game changer for Indy O. Today, Ellerbee is ejected on that hit.
Raiders was better that year but was out coached. Today is almost flag football with the rules. Smith at Quarterback and Bryant at receiver the whole game and Rush and Norman and running back Raiders win easily.

Raiders was better that year but was out coached. Today is almost flag football with the rules. Smith at Quarterback and Bryant at receiver the whole game and Rush and Norman and running back Raiders win easily.

Could easily have been called a penalty that night. Crown of helmet directly to the back from the blindside after the qb released the ball.

Look at the stats and how the game was going up to that play. Indy was driving again and in RC territory. Indy is not reverting to a run heavy offense with Cox able to throw the ball normally.

I feel 2004 RC team was every bit as good as the 2003 RC. RC has a chance in 2003 against Indy but the next year was different. Indy improved on offense from 03 to 04 but their defense was the biggest defense. RC struggled to get a first down in the first half of that game. It was a completed mismatch and RC may have been the 2nd best team in the state that year.

I feel 2004 RC team was every bit as good as the 2003 RC. RC has a chance in 2003 against Indy but the next year was different. Indy improved on offense from 03 to 04 but their defense was the biggest defense. RC struggled to get a first down in the first half of that game. It was a completed mismatch and RC may have been the 2nd best team in the state that year.
04 richmond was just as good but that Indy team was on another level. When they came out for warm up I knew we didn't have much of a chance. Indy was the only team in 03 or 04 that could beat richmond.

04 richmond was just as good but that Indy team was on another level. When they came out for warm up I knew we didn't have much of a chance. Indy was the only team in 03 or 04 that could beat richmond.

We would've matched up well with RC in 2002, 2003 and 2005.

I attended the 04 Indy and Richmond game. No contest as I remember it. Indy scored on their first 3 drives to go up 21 to 0 if Im right. Richmond scored to make it 21 to 7. Indy drove again on 4th drive and fumbled at the Richmond goal line on a drive that woyld have broken Ricmonds back. I thought at that moment if Ricmond can score here this may be a huge momentum swing. Indy D was very good. On tbe few occasions the Richmond QB dropoed back to pass he was literally running for his life from the Indy pressure pass rush. The game was never in doubt.

IMO, the 03 and 04 RC teams weren’t the same in terms of talent, especially on defense. 03 was better.

I did not see Indy play Richmond in 03. However I did see both teams play once tbst year. From what I saw Indy looked much better even though Richmond did play them very close that year.

Re: 2003 RC vs. Indy: We made many mistakes that night (how many times did we fumble in the first half plus some big dropped passes in the second) and still had an opportunity to win with a short field goal. As best I can remember, Marcus Rush was trying some new gloves in the first half, and it was pretty cold. I was the long snapper/right guard that year. Have said many times I would have traded our game winning field goal at Scotland 35-33 for the Indy one.

Still a great memory/atmosphere to end your high school career.

Reactions: Middle Sound Heel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT