ADVERTISEMENT

Best Charlotte Catholic team

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Yesterday I did who was the best Independence team. So today I decided to put out who was the best Charlotte Catholic team. I know they been solid through the years with quite a few State Championship teams. So who was the best Charlotte Catholic team. I’m sure Catholic fans can help me out here.

Personally the 2017 team was probably the best Catholic team ever. However, the 1977 team won the 2A title before subdividing, beat two 4A teams and went on the road and blew out Clayton for the state title.
So you cannot ignore the 1977 team. The 2018 was arguably the most talented Catholic team ever, but the 2017 team just steamrolled people. Havelock was scoring over 50PPG and they mustered 14 points against that defense. That defense running clocked defending 3AA Champion Weddington twice, beat a 10-0 Marvin Ridge team on the road 49-21(it was at one point 49-14) and in the state title game Catholic never punted vs Havelock.
The 2015 team was also one of the best defenses I've ever seen. Shutout Charlotte Christian, Country Day, Olympic, Harding and Providence. Then ground their way through the playoffs with Jaret Anderson and that defense that always came up with a big play. Their performance on the road vs Dudley was a thing of beauty. They took another east team averaging around or over 50PPG and held them to 13 offensive points.

Personally the 2017 team was probably the best Catholic team ever. However, the 1977 team won the 2A title before subdividing, beat two 4A teams and went on the road and blew out Clayton for the state title.
So you cannot ignore the 1977 team. The 2018 was arguably the most talented Catholic team ever, but the 2017 team just steamrolled people. Havelock was scoring over 50PPG and they mustered 14 points against that defense. That defense running clocked defending 3AA Champion Weddington twice, beat a 10-0 Marvin Ridge team on the road 49-21(it was at one point 49-14) and in the state title game Catholic never punted vs Havelock.
The 2015 team was also one of the best defenses I've ever seen. Shutout Charlotte Christian, Country Day, Olympic, Harding and Providence. Then ground their way through the playoffs with Jaret Anderson and that defense that always came up with a big play. Their performance on the road vs Dudley was a thing of beauty. They took another east team averaging around or over 50PPG and held them to 13 offensive points.

The 2005 team was pretty strong to.

84K. I should of put one out for AL Brown. You can answer on that one. I know the ‘89 and ‘97 season were special.

84K. I should of put one out for AL Brown. You can answer on that one. I know the ‘89 and ‘97 season were special.

No question the 89 team. Overall balance on offense and defense. Three or four Playmakers on offense and the defense was solid all around. In the state championship game nobody gave A.L.Brown a chance against the defending state champions in Burlington Cummings not only did Brown win but they shut Cummings out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vik-Val 86
No question the 89 team. Overall balance on offense and defense. Three or four Playmakers on offense and the defense was solid all around. In the state championship game nobody gave A.L.Brown a chance against the defending state champions in Burlington Cummings not only did Brown win but they shut Cummings out.
I remembered AL Brown having a really good QB on that ‘89 team. They definitely had a good team.

The 2005 team was pretty strong to.
Catholic won the 2A and 3A back to back 04/05, 34 straight wins, any other time they would have been number one in sweet sixteen... unfortunately it was during Indy's run of a 100 wins in a row

Cummings played without their best player. Would have liked to seen the matchup with that QB/DB on the field. Mike Morton was a monster and smart.

Best AL Brown team may have been the
9-1-1 4A squad led by Ethan Horton, Lance Smith, and Terry Baxter. Lost by less than a TD to eventual state champ Page.

2017 team hands down. 2018 brought a lot of the same talent back and defense may have been even better, but 2017 team had Milan Howard as a senior and his subtraction from the team left the 2018 CC offense without the same home run hitter pop they had in 2017

I remember watching them when Starzavich( I know that's spelled wrong) was the FB. They were really strong then. What year was that ?

I remember watching them when Starzavich( I know that's spelled wrong) was the FB. They were really strong then. What year was that ?
2004, although he was a three year starter from 2002-04. You almost got his name right. It’s Starcevic

Just go ahead and say it, do not be bashful every CHARLOTTE CATHOLIC TEAM WAS THE GREATEST EVER.

Reactions: AhsCougar1
Just go ahead and say it, do not be bashful every CHARLOTTE CATHOLIC TEAM WAS THE GREATEST EVER.
Mountie your moonshiners won’t ever stop Catholic no matter where the game is played and that’s a truth for ALL TIME. We have victory parties in the parking lot BEFORE any KM game. You’re snake bit against us, you’re the new KANNAPOLIS and I’m laughing.

Mountie your moonshiners won’t ever stop Catholic no matter where the game is played and that’s a truth for ALL TIME. We have victory parties in the parking lot BEFORE any KM game. You’re snake bit against us, you’re the new KANNAPOLIS and I’m laughing.

Hey leave Kannapolis out of this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT