ADVERTISEMENT

1A Basketball Season Wake Up,Come Alive !

I find it very hard to be excited for b-ball after several years of good SMC teams battling it out only to get manhandled by an advantage school. The girls side offers more chances of seeing one of the SMC push for a title, i.e. Murphy & Cherokee, but that’s about it. Robbinsville boys have put together good games and some very bad games. Right now all I can enjoy in inter conference battles because once playoffs start I cannot foresee many boys team making it past the 2nd round. As for the Robbinsville girls there is talent there and they are young but still young. I think most people in Graham are waiting for the upcoming middle schoolers and underclassmen to peak back the interest. Right now I believe the girls could pull some upsets but still a few years away from vying for a title fight. So for me the year is just a waiting game. I believe the SMC on the boys side is down and the tell tale sign is that I believe the Little SMC has beaten many of the teams on our side. It’s a long year and right now I am just hitting the “SIM” button to get this over with.

That 1 guy I believe we have just been spoiled for tha past couple years!! Tha conference has been tight and tha kids of tha past few years from most all teams gave a fine effort!! Tha get up and go has got up and went!!

With tha name panther pit!?? I've got a couple questions for you!! Why isn't Tammy Dill tha head coach for tha varsity girls!??
They have a coach!! He has been successful with what he has had! Tammy Dills has done as much to hurt women’s basketball as she has done to help! My daughter played for Tammy back in the day and ended up hating the sport after two years with her. Never played a day a varsity basketball! That has happened more than once trust me.

Reactions: Hhs98
Well from an outsider lookin in at that it has seemed to me on more than 1 or 2 occasions that her teams looked more in tune then most in tha conference!! It looks like all tha girls respond to her well and she operates a well oiled machine!! And I'm not tryin to cross you but your tha 1st out of tha 30 people I've talked to from down there that dont care for her!! I'm sure there is more, just sayin!! She's a firecracker!!

Well from an outsider lookin in at that it has seemed to me on more than 1 or 2 occasions that her teams looked more in tune then most in tha conference!! It looks like all tha girls respond to her well and she operates a well oiled machine!! And I'm not tryin to cross you but your tha 1st out of tha 30 people I've talked to from down there that dont care for her!! I'm sure there is more, just sayin!! She's a firecracker!!
She is intense but that doesn’t bode well when some of the girls get intimidated and scared to make a mistake! Not sure who you have spoken with but I assure you there are many more who share my sentiment! Some love her and some don’t. It isn’t hard to be successful at the middle school level when all u do is press and play man defense, because the skills haven’t developed yet to beat that kind of pressure. Watch her teams against a skilled ball handler and no idea how to adjust. Anyway I am done with my opinions and that is all they are is my opinions! You didn’t cross me just sharing my thoughts. By the way the sophomore #13 y’all have is fun to watch great player!

She is intense but that doesn’t bode well when some of the girls get intimidated and scared to make a mistake! Not sure who you have spoken with but I assure you there are many more who share my sentiment! Some love her and some don’t. It isn’t hard to be successful at the middle school level when all u do is press and play man defense, because the skills haven’t developed yet to beat that kind of pressure. Watch her teams against a skilled ball handler and no idea how to adjust. Anyway I am done with my opinions and that is all they are is my opinions! You didn’t cross me just sharing my thoughts. By the way the sophomore #13 y’all have is fun to watch great player!
Gosh this is a tough one. I use to hate to see Tammy in the gym. I really hated her style as far as in your face and a little overboard intense. After years of watching I come to appreciate one thing, she was a winner. My biggest question for any coach with that style is Are you that intimidating with every player on the team ? Don’t just pick out a few if your going to coach like that. You need to chew on the star players and the ones that have parents in high places just as much as you do the players that don’t have as much skill or parents that suck up to the coach. Personally I don’t think coaching should be about intimidation tactics because the players are so worried about making a mistake they don’t play up to their potential. I have seen this at Andrews for many years. It’s a fine line of knowing when to light a fire under their butts but you have to praise when praise is due.

Reactions: therealsquid
Tammy is good, you either love her or hate her. She is intense and good hearted. She loves the program at Hayesville and will do anything for it. But one thing is for sure when she speaks she has everyone's attention no matter if it's parents, players or even the boys team

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Tammy is good, you either love her or hate her. She is intense and good hearted. She loves the program at Hayesville and will do anything for it. But one thing is for sure when she speaks she has everyone's attention no matter if it's parents, players or even the boys team
Yes she is good hearted and i’m sure a good person. My daughter got a bad sprain ankle during a volleyball game and she was the first one to her and stayed with her. I was only commenting on coaching styles

I believe your talkin about deante tonetia every1loves!! She's special that's for sure!! If any kid wants to see what hard work in tha weight room will get you they should watch her!! She busts her butt in there!! If donald trumps kid or tha chief's kid, vice chief's kid or any council members kid played on any of my teams they would get chewed out just like any other!! If I coached my kids I would treat them just like everyone else's kid, my kids wouldn't start just cause daddy's tha coach they would have to earn it just like tha other kids!! And that's a fact!!! I believe this day and age that if you don't correct a kid then your wrong and that'll catch up with em down tha road!! There are some kids that have soft spoken parents and it's hard to adjust to them but there is a way for an intense coach to coach soft spoken kids but that's totally on tha adult!!

With tha name panther pit!?? I've got a couple questions for you!! Why isn't Tammy Dill tha head coach for tha varsity girls!??
Seems to me they have a pretty good coach! He has taken teams deep in the playoffs before and has them off to a pretty good start this year. Not sure where you are trying to go with this?????

I believe your talkin about deante tonetia every1loves!! She's special that's for sure!! If any kid wants to see what hard work in tha weight room will get you they should watch her!! She busts her butt in there!! If donald trumps kid or tha chief's kid, vice chief's kid or any council members kid played on any of my teams they would get chewed out just like any other!! If I coached my kids I would treat them just like everyone else's kid, my kids wouldn't start just cause daddy's tha coach they would have to earn it just like tha other kids!! And that's a fact!!! I believe this day and age that if you don't correct a kid then your wrong and that'll catch up with em down tha road!! There are some kids that have soft spoken parents and it's hard to adjust to them but there is a way for an intense coach to coach soft spoken kids but that's totally on tha adult!!
I totally agree doesn’t matter who they are the best kids should start and every kid should be coached with a level of intensity suitable for the situation! You can figure out your kids and know what will encourage or discourage them.

Mount Airy Boys are not so hot this year but the Girls after losing 4 starters from the winning team of the last 2 State Championships are off to a great start with 1 lose in the Galax Battle of the Borders Christmas Tournament to 4A Pulaski Co 48-44, leaving Mount Airy the tournament runner up
Top 3 in the NWC are Mount Airy, East Surry & Bishop.
http://www.maxpreps.com/league/zRqguMYZcUeLYUByMYn-dA/standings-northwest-1a.htm

Last edited:
I think stats and box scores depends mostly on the coaches calling them in, but I think they're more likely to call in where there's a good relationship from other coverage. It is getting to where they'll only have 3 or 4 box scores for a Friday night. And they keep putting boys games under the girls box scores.

Early in the year Hayesville call in and emailed box scores in and they never appeared. I don’t believe it is on the coaches of the schools.

Anyone can sign up on MaxPrep to post the scores live during the game. I have done it a time or two. Also posted after the game but I think they wait till it is verified if you do it only as a final score. They want you to do score by score I think. Don't see many posting for BBall season this year till really late or the next day.

Seems to me they have a pretty good coach! He has taken teams deep in the playoffs before and has them off to a pretty good start this year. Not sure where you are trying to go with this?????
Listen then!!! You got a set of eyes and that's how you see it and I've got a different set and see it a little differently!! Hayesville girls been pretty loaded and it would kinda be hard for them teams that went deep in tha playoffs not to go that deep!! I guess she just catches my eye with all her enthusiasm I guess!!

Off the subject but is anyone watching the blood moon eclipse. It is blood red now.
I still wonder if anyone but myself saw the Blood Red Moon Eclipses Sunday night that started about 10:15 pm a full eclipse around midnight? Lasted over 5 hours till around 3 AM... I know it is not sports but the moon was Blood Red and about 15 % larger than normal. It happens again Monday night but starts around midnight where it started around 10 pm Sunday night. This larger moon and blood Red moon does not happen that often. It was spectacular and the first I have ever seen at my age. Can't believe no one has seen it. Not Sports, but Maybe once In a lifetime view ! Over by 2 Am in Mount Airy

Last edited:
11 degrees and 25 mph winds, nope didn't go out to look. Hopeful it will be clear tonight.

Early in the year Hayesville call in and emailed box scores in and they never appeared. I don’t believe it is on the coaches of the schools.

I have also seen Hayesville's boys box score show up in the girls section at least twice. When they do run, they're incomplete a lot, with only two or three names. Where is their PR guy that posted links to their stuff all through football season? Maybe he can answer what's up.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
People arent usually up at midnight FNL...i would have checked it out if i would have seen your post. I was up till bout 1:20....pissed over my saints losing.

I have also seen Hayesville's boys box score show up in the girls section at least twice. When they do run, they're incomplete a lot, with only two or three names. Where is their PR guy that posted links to their stuff all through football season? Maybe he can answer what's up.

ACT has gotten so bad that Keith Jarrett left to work for WLOS....Other sports' writers have also left for other opportunities, and the paper is a shell of it's former self...Guess they seen the writing on the wall.....

It's a shame really since they are the only regional paper in the Mountains with the exception of the Hendersonville paper that primarily covers Henderson, Polk and Transylvania County...The ACT priority should be to cover all the local High School teams in more detail in order to sell more papers, which is the way it used to be when I was growing up, but I've come to expect less from the ACT the last several years, and that expectation has become a reality, which means my money is spent elsewhere ....Most Journalist in general are lazy nowadays relying on data from social media and other media organizations in order to write their columns, and the ACT sadly is NO exception....

Two High Schools in the Winston-Salem Journal coverage area had MLK all day tournaments this past Saturday, Most all of the teams playing were in the Journal coverage area. Not one score or write up about either tournament in the Sunday paper.

Really sad, local paper without local coverage.

Last edited:
I’ve messaged ACT often over the years about lack of box scores and they put all the blame on coaches not sending them in. They just told me Saturday the same thing and said they reach out at the beginning of every season as a reminder. He said he would reach out to them again. I’m not looking to blame either side I Just like keeping up with scores from all over WNC. Maybe it will improve

I still wonder if anyone but myself saw the Blood Red Moon Eclipses Sunday night that started about 10:15 pm a full eclipse around midnight? Lasted over 5 hours till around 3 AM... I know it is not sports but the moon was Blood Red and about 15 % larger than normal. It happens again Monday night but starts around midnight where it started around 10 pm Sunday night. This larger moon and blood Red moon does not happen that often. It was spectacular and the first I have ever seen at my age. Can't believe no one has seen it. Not Sports, but Maybe once In a lifetime view ! Over by 2 Am in Mount Airy
Yes I did brave the cold weather and went outside at 15 min intervals to watch it. Amazing. Mother nature at her best

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Yes I did brave the cold weather and went outside at 15 min intervals to watch it. Amazing. Mother nature at her best
LOL that is basically what I did and had binoculars and stayed about 2 minutes about every 15 minutes till 12:15 am. Started about 10:30 pm... An Off The News Photo USA Today. Looks like they lightened it up some,it was a deeper red here.

fccfa62a-f2f8-47f2-9523-4506f99cbdba-Blood_moon.png

Last edited:
Think I am being ignored because of not sports ! ! ! ! Many posts on NCPreps are not sports related ! Blood Eclipse over .
TD. ...you do a great job posting scores and keeping people informed about your local teams, your always going to have somebody that wants to start the personal attacks or call you out for a spelling error it gets old after a while I guess it's the world we now live in with all this social media and 24 hours a day force feed Fake News it's sucks but I can't wait for Football season to start..

TD. ...you do a great job posting scores and keeping people informed about your local teams, your always going to have somebody that wants to start the personal attacks or call you out for a spelling error it gets old after a while I guess it's the world we now live in with all this social media and 24 hours a day force feed Fake News it's sucks but I can't wait for Football season to start..
Thank you ! ! !
Just a few jealous people because I try to do what they want do. Then I only get ignored for keeping them informed. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: PantherPit07
Sorry, everyone , I posted all the scores I could find. People don't post their scores this year like they did when FNL was getting them. This is what FNL's looked like Jan,23rd 2018 before he quit posting on here.
**( Final Saturday Scores ). ** NWC-1A / MVAC-1A/2A & WPAC-2A
FridayNiteLights1217, Jan 23, 2018 ... 2 3 4
Replies:
Views:
FridayNiteLights1217
I could not find hardly anyone posting on Twitter this year and only got 128 views so far tonight Jan.22 2019 by 10:19 pm

Last edited:
Sorry, everyone , I posted all the scores I could find. People don't post their scores this year like they did when FNL was getting them. This is what FNL's looked like Jan,23rd 2018 before he quit posting on here.
Replies:
Views:
FridayNiteLights1217
I could not find hardly anyone posting on Twitter this year and only got 128 views so far tonight Jan.22 2019 by 10:19 pm
WSFCS are on exam week break. Their schools will be back in action Friday night. Maybe others also creating a Short schedule.

Replies:
Views:
FridayNiteLights1217

You are FNL?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT