ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball ball official attacked

I’ve also seen Avery County walk off the court with several minutes left to play in a playoff game a few years ago because they were mad at refs. People getting way too worked up and taking it out on refs is everywhere now, but Avery seems to have a particularly bad case.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Was at the game and would like to say the Mitchell Co. LEO's and school staff did a great job getting the situation under control very quickly. Crazy situation all around but was handled without any other incidents.
As for the actual incident, I will not speak to that. No need to say more than has already been said.
Crazy Crazy night.

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: Mhsneer
This is the reason there is a shortage of refs in kids sports nation wide and things are just getting worse because of these idiots.
It's a societal issue. It's become okay to attack, verbally or otherwise, anyone in any position of authority. Refs, teachers, administrators, elected officials, law enforcement officers, civil servants. The solution needs to begin with the people who have the bully pulpit showing some civility and respect for each other and for all humanity...even those they disagree with. Starting with social media, including this forum.

It's cliche, but you really can disagree without being disagreeable. We need to actually talk to each other..,but far more importantly, to listen to each other even when we disagree.

I definitely understand the societal issues we have today. I spent 21 years in law enforcement and the for last few years I wore the uniform you could see and feel the total disrespect a growing part of our society has for any authority such as police, teachers, refs at a kids game etc. We are headed for a society of complete lawlessness and unfortunately some in local and federal government seem to applaud this behavior. Plus the role of social media in society has further inflamed the downfall of how we even interact with each other. Just my opinion.

dude should be charged harshly. no need for that to happen ever.

wasn't avery the team the coach told his players to guard the person hurting them the most so they double teamed a ref? is that real or just a story

That happened at Nantahala in a playoff game a few years ago. Then they walked off halfway through the 4th.

dude should be charged harshly. no need for that to happen ever.

wasn't avery the team the coach told his players to guard the person hurting them the most so they double teamed a ref? is that real or just a story

Man good memory. I bet that’s been 10 years ago or longer. Came out in a box and 1 after a timeout.Put the 1 on the ref.

Reactions: WNCobserver
There was an incident that is being swept under the rug Tuesday night at the North Lincoln game. The ref () came after the head coach at NL thinkiing he was talking about him. NL coach simply called a timeout and the ref came after him. If it wasn't for the admin, the assistant coach and players this incident could have gotten out of control. But what people don't know is that the incident was caused by personal feelings from the ref toward the coach. Something about when the ref was a coach (and a terrible one) at Bandys for one year. But again, this goes back to refs bringing personal vendettas to the game when they shouldn't. Even if the ref felt a coach was talking about him, what gives him the right to attack? NONE! The state has a problem with the ref crisis. The refs will blame everyone from coaches to fans to whatever the excuse. But I've seen over the years refs have become very obnoxious with coaches and I've even seen incidents where they carry on conversations with the fans. Not good. I'm not saying attacking refs are the answer and should be condoned, however, it is a problem that is getting worse each year. I've seen all year that refs are doing JV and varsity games. LOL...3-4 games in a day...No way that should be allowed.
I do hope that the ref () is not allowed back into a gym anytime soon as he was waaaaay out of line at NL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Refs have egos to. Think they are the center of attention of the game. This happened at the Tennessee game Tuesday.

Dad of 23,

You leave names out of your bias reports if you wish to continue on this board. Your principal and AD know the proper ways to handle your allegations and I am sure they will report these allegations if need to be.

As far as working more games than you feel they should, I don’t disagree with you, but the other option is cancelling the games.

Dad of 23,

You leave names out of your bias reports if you wish to continue on this board. Your principal and AD know the proper ways to handle your allegations and I am sure they will report these allegations if need to be.

As far as working more games than you feel they should, I don’t disagree with you, but the other option is cancelling the games.

Bias report? How is that biased? Everyone there saw the same thing. And I have no affiliation with a principal or AD so not sure what you are talking about there. My allegations were backed up by the fans, coaches, admin, students, players and other refs that saw him ATTACK a coach because of personal issues. The ref, () as you put him...lol, should never be allowed to be in a gym again. No excuses for that kind of action. And if that kind of ref () is all the state can get, maybe they should cancel games...starting with JV...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT