ADVERTISEMENT

Atkins vs. Smith

demons04

Aug 20, 2010
Who in their right mind thought it was a smart ideal to put the lowly Camels of Atkins in a conference with the powerhouses of Dudley, Eastern Guilford, Smith, Southern Guilford. I would be surprised if Atkins scores more than 21 points the whole season!!!! They've had three weeks off with no games and they're about to face some fierce competition. The only game they've scored in was against Carver!!! It's a sad case for those kids over there frfr.

I wouldn't disagree with your assessment but realignment is still mostly about ADM's and unfortunately, the Camels have 3A numbers.

Every realignment cycle proposals are put forth. Some make more sense than others but the one thing they almost always have in common is they start with enrollment numbers or geography.
Has anyone ever thought that it might be time for the NCHSAA to really start "thinking outside the box?" Schools like Atkins in my opinion will never compete in a "traditional" league.

I'd like to know if there is a correlation between schools whose state test scores are consistently high year in and year out and have losing records in football? If so, is it time to consider placing those schools in "academic" divisions? The rationale follows what has been done at the college level for years with many non conference opponents. Schools like Duke, Vandy, Northwestern, Tulane, etc. traditionally schedule each other.

For high school competition I guess what I am proposing with be like an A division and a B division. There would have to be some well thought out standards for teams to be placed in such divisions and there would have to be an understanding that placement in these divisions would not be permanent. Much like today when your enrollment changes so does your class. If your fortunes improve on the field then you may be bumped back into regular competition.

There are always exceptions. Schools like Dudley and Catholic are schools that have proven that you can be strong athletically and academically but they are just that, exceptions. Football is already under assault. Between concussion protocols and now Covid, participation overall is in decline.

Kids that love football will probably always play but it is tough to go out week after week and put in the hard work necessary to compete knowing that you have little or no chance of winning. In time I am afraid you will see schools dropping the sport. Since the start of this pandemic it's already become a challenge for many schools to field JV teams.

I admire those kids and coaches at schools like Atkins who have committed to trying.

I still can't believe Atkins is 3A. Especially with all the other schools right around them. They're fighting an uphill battle for sure. I'll be rooting for them.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Who in their right mind thought it was a smart ideal to put the lowly Camels of Atkins in a conference with the powerhouses of Dudley, Eastern Guilford, Smith, Southern Guilford. I would be surprised if Atkins scores more than 21 points the whole season!!!! They've had three weeks off with no games and they're about to face some fierce competition. The only game they've scored in was against Carver!!! It's a sad case for those kids over there frfr.

Smith isn't exactly a powerhouse. Southern Guilford isn't great either. I see what you mean, but southern guilford and atkins have been in the same conference before.

Atkins should really be 2a or 1a though.

I agree Tarheel fan and to my point, Atkins has, according to the ADM's for this realignment, 1138 students. If ADM's are going to be the most weighted variable in determining what class a school falls into they will always be in conferences that will make it tough to compete.

I also agree that Smith and S. Guilford are not powerhouses but both have won in the past. Atkins has "zero" football tradition and because of they stress academics, they attract a totally different type of kid.

Even in 1A they'd have a hard time competing with the better 1A teams in their area like Mt. Airy, Thomasville, Starmount, etc. It's just a tough place to win. If you field a team you have to play someone.

Realignment really can't be determined based on one sport.

Sure, football is the main economic driver of all athletic programs.. But since Atkins wouldn't likely compete no matter where they were placed, it is what it is.

Its a good school academically. The health science magnet is desirable.
But if I were a smaller school, I wouldn't care to have Atkins in my conference. They don't travel well.

How many 3A schools do you know of that has a baseball field that is absolutely unplayable? Atkins is the only one I can think of. Literally. Unplayable.

Realignment really can't be determined based on one sport.

Sure, football is the main economic driver of all athletic programs.. But since Atkins wouldn't likely compete no matter where they were placed, it is what it is.

Its a good school academically. The health science magnet is desirable.
But if I were a smaller school, I wouldn't care to have Atkins in my conference. They don't travel well.

How many 3A schools do you know of that has a baseball field that is absolutely unplayable? Atkins is the only one I can think of. Literally. Unplayable.
Not sure what is unplayable there for baseball. Irrigation system throughout the field. Nice dugouts, put lights up about 4 years ago. Lacking concessions and bathrooms, but nothing wrong with field.

Not sure what is unplayable there for baseball. Irrigation system throughout the field. Nice dugouts, put lights up about 4 years ago. Lacking concessions and bathrooms, but nothing wrong with field.
I’ll have to go back and check with my source. I had a high school baseball umpire tell me that not too long ago. I took that to mean they practice on it, but can’t play on it for whatever reason. I haven’t seen the field in about a year when I went to see a soccer game (and walked 43,000 miles to their stadium from the parking lot). It didn’t look too great then. I’ll follow up. If I made a false statement, I’ll gladly retract.

I’ll have to go back and check with my source. I had a high school baseball umpire tell me that not too long ago. I took that to mean they practice on it, but can’t play on it for whatever reason. I haven’t seen the field in about a year when I went to see a soccer game (and walked 43,000 miles to their stadium from the parking lot). It didn’t look too great then. I’ll follow up. If I made a false statement, I’ll gladly retract.
And yes it is a hike from parking lot to football field. Not sure what the school system was thinking with that design. And off season, baseball field might have been a little rough. But I attended an baseball game there this spring and absolutely nothing wrong with field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT