ADVERTISEMENT

Atkins Football Coach Steps Down

I read the article and one paragraph jumped out at me. Wonder what the deal was with the "transfer"? Forsyth is open enrollment and with the schools, especially the smaller ones (1A-2A) it is bad policy. An unauthorized fundraiser? What did he do that was so bad on that. Most schools want their coaches to do more. He was reinstated. Guy seems pretty stand up to me for how he handled returning from the firing and then leaving after the season.

The season got off to a rocky start when Puryear was fired by Principal Joe Childers on Aug. 7 for what Childers deemed inappropriate communication regarding a player transferring to Carver and an unauthorized fundraiser.

The transfer thing had nothing to do with the player actually transferring. He got in trouble for essentially telling the kid he was an idiot for transferring and that Carver was a terrible school.

The "unauthorized" fundraiser was covered in the Journal back in the spring. Supposedly he didn't correctly report or report at all the amount of money that came in (the original article is linked in the one posted here).

I believe there was a thread here about all this back when it originally happened.

This post was edited on 11/19 9:19 PM by Dave2kMA

The transfer thing had nothing to do with the player actually
transferring. He got in trouble for essentially telling the kid he was
an idiot for transferring and that Carver was a terrible school.

To me this is simply a coach who has put a lot of time in a kid and the kid leaves. If the kid is transferring because of his parents then he is at the parents mercy. However if the kid transferred because he was enticed then I can understand the coach getting upset. Especially when he is struggling to get kids out for FB.

The fund raising issue is simply a technicality issue especially if the money was used for FB.

Clearly he didn't have the support of the principal. Why would he stay at a place he is not welcome? Better to move on and find a home where he has the backing of the administration. Having 15 healthy kids on the roster at seasons end would take its toll on any coach.

From reading the three articles it appears the administration does not understand morale or timing at all.

From reading the first article regarding the firing it appears that if the student transfers before August 1 he can play football at the other school. Is "transfer" in this context mean changing schools without physically moving with the legal guardian from one residence to a permanent residence in the Carver district?

The article said Atkins withdrew from the playoffs for safety reasons due to lack of depth. So I guess we have a reason for that now.

I figured this would happen after what happened back in August but at least they hired him back and let him finish the year up. Plus from the way it seemed in the paper there was no anger left over it.

The principal's a guy who lives in Stokes county who played at NW Ashe back in the day. He's a total opposite from the norm at Atkins. I Wonder who they will hire here. The Principal seems to have his own mindset for who he wants to be the coach but it'll depend on who applies for it.

The kid that transferred to carver lives in Carvers district. Atkins is a magnet and does not have a residential district it's invitation/request only the neighborhoods surrounding Atkins are bused to East Forsyth and Carver.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT