ADVERTISEMENT

Asheville head coach resigns

AhsCougar1

Oct 3, 2007
Asheville High football coach David burdette who has been on the staff 20 seasons has resigned as the head football coach per the Asheville citizen times.

With a 24 and 23 overall record this doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Being 7-5 and 6-6 every year is not acceptable at Asheville high and I hope there is a real search for a head coach this time instead of the sham “search” 4 years ago.

Reactions: seadog28
Best of luck to Asheville on the coach search, it's very odd not seeing the cougars on the bracket with a spine chilling fear to go along with it. Hope they find the missing piece and get back on top...then schedule Crest.

Whoever the coach is there, the administration needs to get behind them. It's a dumpster fire right now from what I am being told.

The Asheville HS, HC position is not the heavily desired position everyone seems to think it is. There is an ACTUAL reason that the hire was what it was last time. When guys with pedigree go interview for that job and see what all comes with it or should I say doesn't come with it, they back away. It is lacking in so many areas that are going to be extremely difficult to recover.

The desire to strongly back a football program at AHS has moved the same direction as the former Lee Walker Heights, TORN DOWN TO THE GROUND.

Good luck to the Cougar faithful. You wanted a change and your going to get it. I just hope for all of WNC that it is a homerun hire.

lol. On the Pruitt thing. No disrespects to Wilky. lol.

It appears the backing for a dominant (money making) football program at the High has faded over time and now we see the results. Not beating a dead horse, but the cost of living has increased in the Ville, with pressure to build, build, and build new places to live. Mountain Side was the first to roll out and was replaced with nothing that the previous tenants could afford. Not blaming the property owners one bit……it’s a business. As mention, Lee Walker Heights has closed and could be heading in that same direction. Those two were excellent feeders into the powerhouse that WAS Asheville High. If you look on the Wall Of Fame, you will see multiple great players that lived or grew up in those areas.

Another point. That magnificent weight room that kept the Cougar line from being tossed left and right on the field, is no more. Heck there is no longer a 4th period lifting class. Little stuff like that adds up.

The next coach. Well since my wife will not allow me to come down and take it over (lol)… no for real she won’t (lol), I hope that they put some serious effort into their search. A good example is a decent well-seasoned assistant coach from Shelby, Byrnes, Mallard Creek, or something like that. Someone with discipline and knowledgeable in the game. Rewarding loyalty amongst people who settled for losing, plays a part in the Cougar situation. Oh and just to be clear, IF YOU LEFT THE HIGH TO GO RUN TO ANOTHER SCHOOL, don’t want you back. If the job meant that much to you, you should have stayed and took it over after Wilky left. Just my opinion.

Gillespie at Asheboro was fired.

He won a state championship at Page and had been successful every where but Asheboro.

Seems like a triad area guy but he is out there.

Last edited:
fogle was at asheville before stedman then went to dorman in spartanburg for a few years . if i'm not mistaken fogle coached at pisgah before returning to asheville. bruce peterson followed stedman i think then came fogle's second tour before wilkins

I personally hope Asheville takes the time to get the administration and athletic dept aligned in order to make a quality hire. While I don’t hate Reynolds with the vigor that I used to. I am tired of seeing them run off and lap the field because Erwin and Asheville were lazy with their last coaching hires.

I personally hope Asheville takes the time to get the administration and athletic dept aligned in order to make a quality hire. While I don’t hate Reynolds with the vigor that I used to. I am tired of seeing them run off and lap the field because Erwin and Asheville were lazy with their last coaching hires.

Erwin looked BIG against Crest, that's just my opinion but those boys were huge. Crest played sloppy and eventually ran away with the game obviously in the second half, but I saw a lot of potential with that group. QB had a cannon and the receivers were FAST. Only problem I saw outside of coaching was how few players were on the sidelines. Not a lot of depth. Once again, just my opinion.

Erwin looked BIG against Crest, that's just my opinion but those boys were huge. Crest played sloppy and eventually ran away with the game obviously in the second half, but I saw a lot of potential with that group. QB had a cannon and the receivers were FAST. Only problem I saw outside of coaching was how few players were on the sidelines. Not a lot of depth. Once again, just my opinion.

Most the teams in the WMAC look the part. TC Roberson did, Asheville did, Erwin did, Tuscola did, but they just lacked the coaching. If those programs could find a coach, it would change the dynamic in the WMAC.

Best of luck to Asheville on the coach search, it's very odd not seeing the cougars on the bracket with a spine chilling fear to go along with it. Hope they find the missing piece and get back on top...then schedule Crest.
The first thing they need to do is to stop the Fairview Flashes from poaching their players. I’m not an Asheville fan, but it’s wrong what the Reynold’s Rickets are doing to Asheville and TC Roberson. It’s wrong to do that to those kids. Reynold’s should ashamed.

The first thing they need to do is to stop the Fairview Flashes from poaching their players. I’m not an Asheville fan, but it’s wrong what the Reynold’s Rickets are doing to Asheville and TC Roberson. It’s wrong to do that to those kids. Reynold’s should ashamed.

I think that’s a tough sell. I can remember Erwin getting guys from Asheville and other schools as well. Kids want to play for successful programs, and if there is a change of address I think they should have every right to do so.

I live in Fairview and can promise as of right now if you told me my son can play for Shane Laws or any other coach in the WMAC I would choose Laws every single time. Obviously I want to have my child play at Erwin one day, but I know he would get better coaching at Reynolds as it currently stands.

Same if my kid was a baseball player in the future. We would probably move to Arden so that he could go to TC.

Reactions: beamer24

Wah, Wah, Wah. Cry me a river. You're just mad 'cause your team is getting that arse kicked by the Rockets. If you don't like it then get better and maybe some kids and their parents might want to stay in your respective district. It's the same old song and dance, just a different poster.

crybaby.jpg

Reactions: beamer24

The only thing I will say is that we have more than enough athletes to where we shouldn’t get smoked by 2, 1-a schools, and a tiny 2-A school not named Shelby.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT