ADVERTISEMENT

Artificial Turf.. Will it be the way of the future

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
I put out this topic when I was on CP. But thought to put this topic out again. Give different posters a chance to weigh in on the subject. Question is will we eventually see all or more HS go the way of artificial turf. I’m know there pros and cons of having turf.

I wasn't wild on it when I heard Kannapolis was getting one but when I seen it man it looks good.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I like it , rain does not tear it up like regular turf. It is always green, it is always painted Lacrosse does not tear up field turf and you can use it for multiple things. Nothing is worse than getting ready for your first football game and having soccer play on your field first and it be tore up. So yea I am a fan

Here are my thoughts. I can see how turf is beneficial. I do love the looks. But with the grass, watching a game with slipping and sliding on a muddy field makes the game interesting. But I understand sammyk point of view.

As George Allen said, "the future is now". Look at most new facilities. Turf is going in instead of grass. It allows much more activities to utilize the field. No more moving the junior high game because it rained. No more cancelling the youth league game.

The biggest issue becomes scheduling use.

I had turf at Tuscola and at Central Cabarrus. I love it. You never have to worry about a muddy field or tearing it up. Less work on the coaches by not having to mow and paint lines and logos every week. Rainy day practices are no problem, nor is multiple sports using the same field. You have to maintain it for it to last but it is way easier than maintaining Bermuda grass.

I prefer to play on grass 100% but the benefits of field turf are too great to choose preference. I just played 13 flag football games this past weekend on turf, and honestly you forget about it until you get a turf burn. Or if you stop to realize how it's 10 degrees hotter than walking on regular ground.

Now, when field turf is past its age, not maintained properly etc. and it gets slick, I refuse to play on it. If you need an example, head to Revolution Park in Charlotte and try to make a few cuts moving above half speed on that turf. Practically plastic/ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vik-Val 86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT