ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Area IV Update on Haywood County/Huntersville Teams

NEVER DOES!
Well, since neither team had won a game yet and one is in the Eastern division and one in the Western division the most sensible thing to do is make all the rest of their division games forfeit wins for the opposing team. That way you don't have worry about some teams having less division games played than others. That's a simple solution.

Notice I said that would be the sensible thing today. But we all know that many times in legion baseball the sensible thing is not done.

Also, since the original plans for the Area IV playoffs were for only 8 of the 9 teams in each division to make the playoffs now all 8 teams in each division will make the playoffs.

Last edited:
I think the players could play for the next closest team if the team they want to go to is willing to take them. Haywood County is so far away from the closest team I doubt any of their players would want to travel that far to play.

Well, since neither team had won a game yet and one is in the Eastern division and one in the Western division the most sensible thing to do is make all the rest of their division games forfeit wins for the opposing team. That way you don't have worry about some teams having less division games played than others. That's a simple solution.

Notice I said that would be the sensible thing today. But we all know that many times in legion baseball the sensible thing is not done.

Also, since the original plans for the Area IV playoffs were for only 8 of the 9 teams in each division to make the playoffs now all 8 teams in each division will make the playoffs.
Another solution I heard today would be to count the games that Haywood and Huntersville have already played as non-division games. That way you are not taking away wins off the overall record of the teams that have played and defeated Haywood and Huntersville....just not counting them as division games. That's probably is a better solution.

Last edited:
Wouldn't mooresville, Kannapolis, Lincoln County, and Concord be the next closest for them linkman?[/QUOTE

For Huntersville the closest Area IV team would probably be Lincoln County or Mint Hill. For Haywood there is no close Area IV team.

The ruling concerning Huntersville and Haywood games was decided this morning. Per the Gaston Gazettte:

"Haywood Post 47 and Huntersville Post 321 will forfeit all remaining unplayed games after dropping out of North Carolina Area IV American Legion baseball competition earlier this week, Legion officials said on Friday.

Haywood Post 47 was 0-4 in the Western Division and Huntersville was 0-7 in the Eastern Division before informing Legion officials earlier this week that they would no longer be able to field teams. It means Haywood will forfeit 12 games and Huntersville nine to fill out their 16-game schedules in their respective divisions."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT