ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Area IV Semi Finals

Linkman

Jun 14, 2009
Area IV Semi-finals begin Saturday night - best 3 out of 5

West No. 1 Cherryville (23-9) vs. East No. 2 Union County (17-6)

East No. 1 Mint Hill (20-6) vs. East No. 3 Gaston Braves (17-8) )

Last edited:
Since Crest had an exceptional year on the diamond, posting a 26-1 overall record , and Burns having an above .500 record , I noticed the newly named Cleveland County Legion team didn't make the playoffs. What happened ? Thanks in advance for any insight on this matter.

I wondered about that, too. They have Kings Mountain, Crest, Shelby and most of Burns with maybe the exception of some Burns players who live in the Fallston-Lawndale and Waco vicinities and would play for Cherryville.

Actually Cleveland County did make the playoffs...barely. They finished the regular season with a 3-13 division record, 3-16 overall but then were quickly eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by Cherryville losing all 3 games by large margins.

To answer your question, only one player from the good 2019 Crest team chose to play legion ball and he was not even a starter on the Crest team. I don't know how many players they had on the roster from Burns but they only had 12 players total on the roster. Shelby and Kings Mountain the other two schools they could draw from and neither had good seasons.

Why so many chose not to play this year is the real question. I heard through the grape vine that some did want to play for the current coaching staff, but I can't verify that.

Friday night.....will you be able to attend?

Update:
Lincolnton, I just found out that Saturday night will be the first game of the Union County/Cherryville series. I understand both coaches wanted to change to start on Saturday.

Area IV Semi-finals begin Friday night - best 3 out of 5

West No. 1 Cherryville (23-9) vs. East No. 2 Union County (17-5)
Update: This series will begin on Saturday rather Friday.

East No. 1 Mint Hill (20-6) vs. East No. 3 Gaston Braves (17-8) )
Union County will play the Mint Hill vs Gaston Braves loser in a one game playoff ,if they lose the Cherryville series .

I’m hopin so, Linkman. I’m off Saturday.

1955 that’s my understanding. The two winners of the semifinals both get to play in the state tournament along with one of the runners up, which would be determined by a one game playoff.

Here is my preview of the semi-final match ups:

The Cherryville/Union County series matches the two teams with the best pitching in Area IV. Union County has allowed only 11 runs total in 7 playoff games. Cherryville has allowed 8 runs in 6 playoff games. Coach Reynolds has said this year's team is built for a 5 game series....so far he hasn't had to use his 4th or 5th starters to start games in the playoffs as Cherryville has won 6 straight.

IMO Cherryville's pitching staff is deeper and based on that and the home field advantage I give Cherryville the edge.

The Gaston Braves/Mint Hill series matches two teams that have been inconsistent in playoffs. Mint Hill inexplicably lost by a large margin in their first playoff game vs Maiden, the 8 seed and last team into the payoffs. They then won three straight by large margins to take that series. In their second rd series vs.no 5 seed Lincoln County they had to come from behind to win the last two games of that series after trailing by 2 runs in both games going into the last inning. They easily could have lost that series....Lincoln County just run out of pitching and didn't have anyone that could close out the games.

The #3 seed Gaston Braves lost their first 2 games in Rd 1 of the playoffs vs #6 seed Henderson County. They won the 3rd game and then got a big break as Henderson ran short on players and had to forfeit games 4 and 5. They played much better in Rd 2 taking out #2 seed Asheville 3 games to 1.

This series is a toss up IMO. However, if you make me pick a team, based on the unimpressive play I saw from Mint Hill in the Rd 2 of the playoffs I would give the Gaston Braves the edge.

Last edited:
Thanks for the assessment, Linkman. I look for some interesting games in this semifinals and in the state tournament.
I saw on the other thread where Davidson County had eliminated Rowan. It’s going to seem odd without them in state competition but there is a chance that Randolph will be there.
Still a lot of baseball left.

Thanks for the assessment, Linkman. I look for some interesting games in this semifinals and in the state tournament.
I saw on the other thread where Davidson County had eliminated Rowan. It’s going to seem odd without them in state competition but there is a chance that Randolph will be there.
Mocksville is the only area 3 southern division team left, not very often a next to last place team makes it to the 3rd round.

Saturday Results:

Union County 7 Cherryville 0 - Union leads series 1-0

Gaston Braves 10 Mint Hill 9 (10 innings) - Gaston leads series 1-0

What happened to Rowan this year? Did they not get the players to come out? Or were the high school teams down?

What happened to Rowan this year? Did they not get the players to come out? Or were the high school teams down?
Does anyone know when the last time Rowan didnt make to area final 4? Their division was weak this year, the next to last place team is the only area 3 southern division teams left. At least one AD would like to see area 3 go to one division and play each team one game. most southern division teams have at least northern division closer than one southern division team, most northern division teams have at least southern division closer than one northern division team. A current southern may play a current southern in the first round in first round of playoffs under that format , Northern team may play a northern team , sense the teams would be seeded 1 though 13 with 3 teams get a first round bye. area 4 could do the same with 17 teams and have 16 playoff teams. east team could play east team in first round of playoff, west vs west

Last edited:
Linkman, I’m thinking you went down to Wingate to the Cherryville-Union County game. It must have been a good one.
I guess we’ll find out how deep Union’s pitching is. Cherryville might have put themselves in a pretty good position.
I have to get up early in the morning and for the rest of the week...Keep us posted.
Thanks
By the way, last I heard The Gaston Braves and Mint Hill we’re tied.

Sunday Results:

Cherryville 1 Union County 0; Brent Walls pitched the complete game 2-hit shut out for Cherryville - Series tied 1-1.

Gaston Braves 6 Mint Hill 4; Gaston won on a walkoff 3 run HR, with 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th by Luke Bumgarner. - Gaston leads series 2-0.

Actually Cleveland County did make the playoffs...barely. They finished the regular season with a 3-13 division record, 3-16 overall but then were quickly eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by Cherryville losing all 3 games by large margins.

To answer your question, only one player from the good 2019 Crest team chose to play legion ball and he was not even a starter on the Crest team. I don't know how many players they had on the roster from Burns but they only had 12 players total on the roster. Shelby and Kings Mountain the other two schools they could draw from and neither had good seasons.

Why so many chose not to play this year is the real question. I heard through the grape vine that some did want to play for the current coaching staff, but I can't verify that.

Another thing that hurt them was that there were only 2 people from KM that was in their district. The way they drew the lines, most of the players had to play in Gaston County. Crest never comes out to play legion ball. They get brainwashed into thinking they have to play travel ball to go to college. Kids don't want to play baseball every day over the summer anymore. It's sad.

they lost 3 games by 1 run during the regular season. in priors they had the best bullpen , they out scored the other team in 8th the 9th innings. playing only 7 innings may have hurt them

Monday Results:

Cherryville 1 Union County 0; Dalton Pence got the win with 5 scoreless innings. Robbie Cowie drove in the only run with a RBI single in the 5th and got the save with 2 scoreless innings on the mound striking out 5. - Cherryville leads series 2-1.

Gaston Braves 14 Mint Hill 4 (6 innings) - Gaston wins series 3-0 and advances to the Area IV Championship game vs the winner of he Union County/Cherryville series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sportsnut17
Tuesday's Results

Cherryville 3 Union County 2 - Chris Moxley went 6 1/3 innings for the win. Robbie Cowie got the last two outs for the save.

Cherryville wins the series 3-1 and advances to the Area IV Championship game to face the Gaston Braves.

Union County and Mint Hill will face off in a play in game at Mint Hill to determine which team will be the third Area IV team in the state tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT