ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Area IV Quarter-Finals

Hon Dines

Aug 21, 2002
China Grove, NC
Quarterfinals (best-of-5): July 13-17

West-1 (Rutherford County 19-2) vs. East-4 (Gastonia 13-10)
Game 1: Friday at Sims Legion Park, Gastonia(G wins 4-0)(leads series 1-0)
Game 2: Saturday at McNair Field, Forest City(G wins 16-6 in 6 innings)(leads series 2-0)
Game 3: Sunday at McNair Field, Forest City(RC wins 12-3)(G leads series 2-1)
Game 4 Monday at Ashbrook HS, GastoniaRC wins 12-8)(series tied 2-2)
Game 5 Tuesday at McNair Field, Forest City(Gastonia wins 5-2)(wins series 3-2)

West-7 (Henderson County 10-11) vs. West-3 (Caldwell County 15-7)
Game 1: Friday at M.S. Deal Stadium, Granite Falls(H wins 15-10)(leads series 1-0)
Game 2: Saturday at East Henderson HS, East Flat Rock(H wins 5-4)(leads series 2-0)
Game 3: Sunday at M.S. Deal Stadium, Granite Falls(C wins 10-0)(H leads series 2-1)
Game 4 Monday at East Henderson HS, East Flat Rock(Caldwell wins next 2 games on forfeit from Henderson (players broke team rules)(C wins series 3-2)

East-1 (Shelby 21-1) vs. East-5 (Gaston Braves 12-10)
Game 1: Thursday at Keeter Stadium, Shelby(S wins 5-3)(leads series 1-0)
Game 2: Friday at Abbey Yard, Belmont( S wins 9-0)(leads series 2-0)
Game 3: Saturday at Keeter Stadium, Shelby(GB wins 5-2)(S leads series 2-1)
Game 4 Sunday at Belmont(S wins 2-1)(wins series 3-1)

West-2 (Cherryville 25-6) vs. West-6 (Burke County 9-11)
Game 1: Friday at Fraley Field, Cherryville(C wins 2-0)(leads series 1-0)
Game 2: Saturday at Shuey Field (C wins 11-1))Leads series 2-0)
Game 3: Sunday at Fraley Field, Cherryville(C wins 1-0)(wins series 3-0)

Last edited:
Don,

Looks like you put the Shelby Game 1 information under Henderson v Caldwell.

Thanks for all the hard work this is one way I can keep up with NC Legion while I am out of town.

Regards,

Reactions: Hon Dines
Interesting things happening in the Area IV playoffs. Henderson County, a 7th seed who only won 7 games all season coming into the playoffs knocks off 2nd seed Union County in 3 straight and now has won 5 straight games in the playoffs and is on the verge of taking out Caldwell County, a 3 seed.

On the other hand Rutherford comes into the playoffs undefeated, struggles to beat 8th seed Mint Hill in 5 games in the 1st round and is now down 2-0 to Gastonia. Gastonia, Henderson County and Cherryville have yet to lose a playoff game.

My prediction at this point is that Cherryville and Gastonia will end up in the Area IV championship game, but anything can happen as we have seen thus far. There is still a lot of playoff baseball to be played. I anticipate some huge crowds if the anticipated matchup of Cherryville and Shelby happens in the semi-finals. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Shelby loses Game 3 5-2.

Rough night in the field last night for Post 82. 4 errors in the game. Braves were up 3-0 in the first and I believe the only hit was a single. Some base running errors also impacted what they could do at the plate. Hopefully the guys come out as a more focused team in game 4.

Someone do the digging. Henderson and Caldwell started the game tonight, and then Henderson forfeited tonight and tomorrow's game to give Caldwell the series win.

Someone do the digging. Henderson and Caldwell started the game tonight, and then Henderson forfeited tonight and tomorrow's game to give Caldwell the series win.
I’ve read that their were some players from Henderson who broke team rules but the timing still seems very weird

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT