ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Area IV Playoff Pairings

Linkman

Jun 14, 2009
First round of the Area IV Playoffs begin July 2. All series are the best 3 out 5.

Should Cherryville make the Area IV championship, the losing teams in the semifinal round (3rd round) will play in a one-game playoff to decide who will claim the league’s final bid. This year Area IV gets to send three teams to the State Tournament in Cherryville.

W #1 Cherryville vs E #8 Cleveland Co
E #4 Gastonia vs W #5 Caldwell Co

E #2 Union Co vs W #7 Hickory
W #3 Rutherford Co vs E #6 Pineville

E #1 Mint Hill vs E #9 Maiden
W #4 Burke vs E #5 Lincoln Co

W #2 Asheville vs E #7 Huntersville
E #3 Gaston Braves vs W #6 Henderson Co

****Note: Burnsville is not participating in the playoffs due to not having enough players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sportsnut17
Round 1
Game 1 Results:

Cherryville 12 Cleveland County 0 (5)....game protested, ruling will be made today
Gastonia 5 Caldwell County 2
Union County 1 Hickory 0.
Pineville 8 Rutherford County 7

Maiden 6 Mint Hill 3
Burke County 9 Lincoln County 8
Asheville 8 Huntersville 7
Henderson County 10 Gaston Braves 6

Last edited:
A ruling has been handed down on the protested game between Cherryville and Cleveland County. Cleveland County had protested the game in the 3rd inning because the Cherryville catcher was wearing an earpiece. The umpires had allowed it indicating there was no rule prohibiting the wearing of an earpiece.

The State Commissioner ruled today that there will be no electronic devices used in any play of American Legion Baseball. With that being said, no penalty will be assessed for the game yesterday. The protest is upheld but the results of the game still stands.

In future games, the umpires will direct the catcher to remove the equipment if he is wearing a device. If the catcher refuses the umpire has discretion to remove the catcher and head coach from the game.

Round 1
Game 2 Results:

Cherryville 17 Cleveland County 4 (5) - Cherryville leads series 2-0.
Caldwell County 3 Gastonia 1 - Series tied 1-1.
Union County 4 Hickory 1 - Union County leads series 2-0..
Rutherford County 11 Pineville 1 - Series tied 1-1.

Mint Hill 15 Maiden 1 (5) - Series tied 1-1.
Lincoln County 7 Burke County 0 - Series tied 1-1.
Asheville 6 Huntersville 5 - Asheville led series 2-0.
Henderson County 9 Gaston Braves 2 - Henderson County leads series 2-0.

Last edited:
Round 1
Game 3 Results:

Cherryville 6 Cleveland County 0 - Cherryville wins series 3-0.
Gastonia 13 Caldwell County 5 - Gastonia leads series 2-1.
Union County / Hickory - ppd, Union County leads series 2-0..
Rutherford County / Pineville - game suspended with Pineville leading 2-1 in the first....game 3 will be resumed at 1:00 Friday. Game 4 to be played following completion of game 3. Series tied 1-1.

Mint Hill 11 Maiden 1 (5) - Mint Hill leads series 2-1.
Burke County 8 LIncoln County 0 - Burke leads series tied 2-1.
Asheville 9 Huntersville 7 - Asheville wins series 3-0.
Gaston Braves 8 Henderson County 7 - Henderson leads series 2-1.

Last edited:
Round 1 - Friday's Results

Gastoina 7 Caldwell County 3 (9) - Gastonia wins series 3-1. Will play Cherryville in Rd 2.

Union County 2 Hickory 0, Union County wins series 3-0. Will play the winner of Rutherford County/Pineville in Rd 2

Rutherford County / Pineville - game suspended with Pineville leading 2-1 in the first....game 3 will be resumed at 1:00 Friday. Game 4 to be played following completion of game 3. Series tied 1-1. (no report on the results yet).

Mint Hill 7 Maiden 3 - Mint Hill wins series 3-1. Will play winner of Lincoln County/Burke County in Rd 2.

LIncoln County 9 Burke County 4 - Series tied 2-2.

Gaston Braves / Henderson County - ppd. Henderson leads series 2-1. Winner will play Asheville in Rd 2.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Round 1 - Saturday Results

Pineville 11 Rutherford 4 - Pineville leads series 2-1. (No results in on tonight's game 4).

LIncoln County 9 Henderson County 4 - Lincoln County wins series 3-2.

Gaston Braves wins games 4 and 5 due to forfeit as Henderson County did not have enough players to play the games - Gaston wins series 3-2.

Round 1 - Saturday Results

Pineville 11 Rutherford 4 - Pineville leads series 2-1. (No results in on tonight's game 4).

LIncoln County 9 Henderson County 4 - Lincoln County wins series 3-2.

Gaston Braves wins games 4 and 5 due to forfeit as Henderson County did not have enough players to play the games - Gaston wins series 3-2.
It amazes me that you get this far into the season and then end up having to forfeit the final 2 games of the series because of not having enough players!!

It amazes me that you get this far into the season and then end up having to forfeit the final 2 games of the series because of not having enough players!!
It happened to 3 Junior teams in Area III. 2 the last week of the regular season. 1 in playoffs. But guess what, the one in the playoffs is hosting Junior State Championship And is automatically in.

Cherryville Post 100 defeated Gastonia Post 23 by a score of 2-1.
I got to listen to a little of the game at the beginning and then the last couple of innings. must have been a pitchers duel (Willis for Cherryville and Blattau for Gastonia).
Game two is in Gastonia, tomorrow night, hoping to get to see that one.
I got to listen to a little of the Lincoln County-Mint Hill game. Mint Hill was up pretty big. Seems like it was 9-1. They were playing in Charlotte. Thought I heard the Cherryville announcer say they (Lincoln-Mint Hill) were in a rain delay. We didn't get any rain around here.
Linkman, if you get back early enough to leave a post, give us an assessment of Mint Hill. Thanks

Last edited:
Cherryville Post 100 defeated Gastonia Post 23 by a score of 2-1.
I got to listen to a little of the game at the beginning and then the last couple of innings. must have been a pitchers duel (Willis for Cherryville and Blattau for Gastonia).
Game two is in Gastonia, tomorrow night, hoping to get to see that one.
I got to listen to a little of the Lincoln County-Mint Hill game. Mint Hill was up pretty big. Seems like it was 9-1. They were playing in Charlotte. Thought I heard the Cherryville announcer say they (Lincoln-Mint Hill) were in a rain delay. We didn't get any rain around here.
Linkman, if you get back early enough to leave a post, give us an assessment of Mint Hill. Thanks
`
The game was suspended due to rain with Mint Hill leading 9-1 still batting in the bottom of the 4th. The game will be completed tomorrow at 6:00 at EL and will be immediately followed by game 2. Mint Hill has a pretty balanced club...good hitting, solid pitching, good defense. They played a couple of games against Cherryville early in the season and they split. Both games were low scoring. They are the best team in the East division. I think Cherryville is the best team in Area IV....a little more pitching depth and the x factor with Bobby Reynolds as coach.

Last edited:
Linkman, thanks for the information on Mint Hill. I’m looking forward to the State tournament being played in Cherryville.

It happened to 3 Junior teams in Area III. 2 the last week of the regular season. 1 in playoffs. But guess what, the one in the playoffs is hosting Junior State Championship And is automatically in.
not aloud to host tournament if you don't play in the playoffs. per national rule book.. host team for a state tournament is mandated to participate in district tournament or playoffs. host team will not be permitted to rest their team to avoid an unfair advantage.

not aloud to host tournament if you don't play in the playoffs. per national rule book.. host team for a state tournament is mandated to participate in district tournament or playoffs. host team will not be permitted to rest their team to avoid an unfair advantage.
Yes you are correct but technically played one game before forfeiting second.
Does this count as participating?

So say the team doesn't qualify for the playoffs the host team wouldn't be allowed to participate in it? I'm sure they would have to wave the rule........what benefit would that have then on the hosting team if their team isn't in it! They would make no money!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT