ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Area III , round 3

Sportsnut17

Oct 7, 2005
MON JUL 10
Randolph County 8, Davidson County 1 (Randolph County leads series 1-0)
Rowan County 13, High Point 0 (Rowan County leads series 1-0)

TUE JUL 11
Randolph County 11, Davidson County 1 (Randolph County leads series 2-0)
Rowan County 8, High Point 5 (Rowan County leads series 2-0)

WED JUL 12
Randolph County 10, Davidson County 0 (Randolph County wins series 3-0)
Rowan County 9, High Point 3 (Rowan County wins series 3-0)

Area III Finals set to begin on Saturday at Newman Park. They flipped a coin over the phone last night. Scheduling conflict with the Asheboro Copperheads moved the series up to Saturday. But since both teams swept their respective series, they decided and it was cleared with Area III Commissioner, Bob Beeson. Both teams have already qualified for the state tournament. These two teams met twice in the regular season with Rowan winning both times. Anyone have any predictions? Obviously, this is the "doesn't really matter" series, but seeding for the state tournament can go a long way. Randolph is playing exceptionally well at the moment, but Rowan is too. I'd give the edge to Rowan, but Randolph has been fantastic competition for Rowan the last handful of years.

Rowan sweeps if they want. May experiment with pitching/lineups so could drag out.

Rowan sweeps if they want. May experiment with pitching/lineups so could drag out.

Oddly enough, Rowan didn't win the Area III Finals last year and went on to the World Series final. I'm not sure how they will pitch, but John Owen should be ready to pitch if he goes back to pitching his pitchers in order.

You guys think it'll be that easy for Rowan? I don't know....Post 45's been looking mighty tough lately.....

Randolph (Should still be called Asheboro in my opinion) has done much better than anyone expected. I just think Rowan is that much better than the others. Post 45 does play well on that carpet though.

Lady announcer at Lexington the other night introduced Post 45 as "Eastern Randolph". Almost drove me to cussing.

Good game. Saw both teams this year. Both are good clubs. I think Rowan has a better offense top to bottom. Sounds like a pitchers dual tonight.

Post 45's going to have nightmares about how this one ended up.

Down 4-1, Randolph scored four runs in the top of the eighth to take a 5-4 lead. Cam Reid came in and struck out the Rowan side. Randolph had the mojo going.

However, Coach Gantt must've found a voodoo doll lying around before the bottom of the ninth began. Up 5-4, Post 45 completely imploded. Due to some horrible fielding, Rowan quickly puts runners on second and first with no outs. A wild pitch to the next batter moved both runners up a base.

After Rowan scored the tying run, Post 45 intentionally put the next two batters on to try to get the force out at home. Reid struck out the next guy for the second out.

However, with the bases loaded (and a full count I believe), Reid unfortunately hits the next Rowan batter in the back to walk in the game-winning run.

Outstanding game nonetheless. Thanks to some great fielding, Post 45 got themselves out of some perilous situations early on. However, Rowan made them pay in the bottom of the sixth. They started batting around, found some open spots, and took a 4-1 lead.

In the top of the fifth, shortstop Chandler Blackwelder made a play that was worthy of ESPN Top ten. John Owen pitched a great seven innings.

Game two will be at "The Carpet" tomorrow. I think it'll be just as good.

Last edited:
Post 45's going to have nightmares about how this one ended up.

Down 4-1, Randolph scored four runs in the top of the eighth to take a 5-4 lead. Cam Reid came in and struck out the Rowan side. Randolph had the mojo going.

However, Coach Gantt must've found a voodoo doll lying around before the bottom of the ninth began. Up 5-4, Post 45 completely imploded. Due to some horrible fielding, Rowan quickly puts runners on second and first with no outs. A wild pitch to the next batter moved both runners up a base.

After Rowan scored the tying run, Post 45 intentionally put the next two batters on to try to get the force out at home. Reid struck out the next guy for the second out.

However, with the bases loaded (and a full count I believe), Reid unfortunately hits the next Rowan batter in the back to walk in the game-winning run.

Outstanding game nonetheless. Thanks to some great fielding, Post 45 got themselves out of some perilous situations early on. However, Rowan made them pay in the bottom of the sixth. They started batting around, found some open spots, and took a 4-1 lead.

In the top of the fifth, shortstop Chandler Blackwelder made a play that was worthy of ESPN Top ten. John Owen pitched a great seven innings.

Game two will be at "The Carpet" tomorrow. I think it'll be just as good.

Thanks for update, fell asleep before it was over.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
I've been inhabiting this planet for over 40 years.......and I don't think I've ever witnessed a better baseball game than the one played in Asheboro last night.

Rowan looked like they were going to run away with it early on. They put on a hitting clinic in the second inning and jumped out to a 6-1 lead. The lead swelled to 8-1 until the bottom of the fifth. With the bases loaded, Bryce Marsh blasted one to right and drove in three runs to make it 8-4.

Even though Post 45 would wind up cutting the lead to three, Rowan found their bats again and scored a few more runs. Going into the bottom of the seventh, Rowan was up 11-5.

Post 45 comes to the plate and scores three runs to cut the lead to 11-8. They hold Rowan in the top of the eighth. And then.......

Post 45 comes to bat and explodes for eight runs. Going into the top of the ninth, 45's up 16-11 and the Randolph County crowd is going wild.

Just when you think Rowan's done for.....they rally on one. They get hot and score four runs to cut the 45 lead to 16-15. Trevor Marsh finally gets a Rowan batter to ground out to short to end the game. Randolph wins to send the series back to Catawba.

I've got to see the box score for this one. These teams might have a set a record for most pitchers used....had to have been in (or near) double digits. Both teams combined for 41 hits. Game was almost four hours long. Cam Morrison was outstanding at the plate. I hate I'm going to miss game three.......

Last edited:
Reactions: thekidd12
I've been inhabiting this planet for over 40 years.......and I don't think I've ever witnessed a better baseball game than the one played in Asheboro last night.

Rowan looked like they were going to run away with it early on. They put on a hitting clinic in the second inning and jumped out to a 6-1 lead. The lead swelled to 8-1 until the bottom of the fifth. With the bases loaded, Bryce Marsh blasted one to right and drove in three runs to make it 8-4.

Even though Post 45 would wind up cutting the lead to three, Rowan found their bats again and scored a few more runs. Going into the bottom of the seventh, Rowan was up 11-5.

Post 45 comes to the plate and scores three runs to cut the lead to 11-8. They hold Rowan in the top of the eighth. And then.......

Post 45 comes to bat and explodes for eight runs. Going into the top of the ninth, 45's up 16-11 and the Randolph County crowd is going wild.

Just when you think Rowan's done for.....they rally on one. They get hot and score four runs to cut the 45 lead to 16-15. Trevor Marsh finally gets a Rowan batter to ground out to short to end the game. Randolph wins to send the series back to Catawba.

I've got to see the box score for this one. These teams might have a set a record for most pitchers used....had to have been in (or near) double digits. Both teams combined for 41 hits. Game was almost four hours long. Cam Morrison was outstanding at the plate. I hate I'm going to miss game three.......
Once again, thanks for the comprehensive update.

I had planned on going last night but it didn't work out. Sounds like a great game. Might be more of the same tonight with both teams trying to save/ rest pitching for the state. Does anyone know if the local Asheboro radio station is doing a live broadcast?

I had planned on going last night but it didn't work out. Sounds like a great game. Might be more of the same tonight with both teams trying to save/ rest pitching for the state. Does anyone know if the local Asheboro radio station is doing a live broadcast?

Sportstone.net

Curious to see if anyone that was at the game last night had an opinion of the strike zone. The strike zone in the games I've been to in the area 3 playoffs has catered to the hitters. You can't live belt high unless your pumping 95. Just wondering if this had something to do with the score last night. Not taking anything away from either team, they are both really good hitting teams.....but 41 hits. Just like to see kids being rewarded for hitting corners and keeping it down.

Chute our definitions of a good baseball game must be different. 16-15? 4 hours? I like 4-3 and hour and a half better. Trevor has surprised me with his development. Has turned into a good player.

Chute our definitions of a good baseball game must be different. 16-15? 4 hours? I like 4-3 and hour and a half better. Trevor has surprised me with his development. Has turned into a good player.

I absolutely love baseball, but I can not and will not sit through a 4 hour game.

According to "local" paper 7 pitchers used by each team for a total of 14 in game.

I absolutely love baseball, but I can not and will not sit through a 4 hour game.
I have but my son was playing.

I also know both are probably saving pitchers for state.

Getting an inning out of a guy and moving to next. Not fun times but you gotta do what you gotta do.

According to "local" paper 7 pitchers used by each team for a total of 14 in game.
That was game 2, imagine the pitching for game 3. I guess coaches only know pitch counts. I believe over 30 they can't pitch today?

I guess the pitching coaches got there 10k steps in yesterday. Most going to and from the mound. Might have to replace carpet at McCrary. Lol

I personally did not enjoy this offensive explosion. Rowan didn't make any errors, but they made mistakes, didn't make the pitches they needed to, and overall just didn't perform the way they have. Have to give credit to Randolph for sure. They battled back, and that bottom of the 8th was killer. Rowan couldn't buy an out and Randolph didn't make an out for quite some time. I don't personally enjoy those long, drawn out ballgames, but you have to win games like that sometimes. Nothing Gantt did last night worked, and Rowan still nearly came back and tied it in the top of the 9th. Gantt goes for his 500th career legion win, and Rowan's 19th Area championship tonight at Newman Park. If either team has any pitching left, we'll see what happens.

Curious to see if anyone that was at the game last night had an opinion of the strike zone. The strike zone in the games I've been to in the area 3 playoffs has catered to the hitters. You can't live belt high unless your pumping 95. Just wondering if this had something to do with the score last night. Not taking anything away from either team, they are both really good hitting teams.....but 41 hits. Just like to see kids being rewarded for hitting corners and keeping it down.

The strike zone was wide and then it narrowed. He was giving about 1/2 a foot off the plate, and then his zone shrunk. Very inconsistent. Also, the scoreboard not working, (or at least the top half) I think had a little effect on the game. The umpire would occasionally give the count, but not always, and I swear to you, Rowan got 4 outs in one inning. Needless to say, the umpire didn't lose or win the game for anyone, but he was a hitter's friendly ump for sure.

Reactions: jabr and thekidd12
The strike zone was wide and then it narrowed. He was giving about 1/2 a foot off the plate, and then his zone shrunk. Very inconsistent. Also, the scoreboard not working, (or at least the top half) I think had a little effect on the game. The umpire would occasionally give the count, but not always, and I swear to you, Rowan got 4 outs in one inning. Needless to say, the umpire didn't lose or win the game for anyone, but he was a hitter's friendly ump for sure.
Half a foot off the plate?

Sounds like one of those volunteer umps for LL World Series.

That's in the other batter's box.

I guess the pitching coaches got there 10k steps in yesterday. Most going to and from the mound. Might have to replace carpet at McCrary. Lol
Oh they will not let the carpet get worn. Replaced a lot not too long ago.

And do not THINK about spitting seeds near it!!

It's interesting the talk about pitch count strategy coming into play the first two games of this series to save pitching for the State Tournament. A starting pitcher could have pitched 76-120 pitches Saturday or Sunday and still be available and well rested the first day of the State Tournament. Tonight would the night you would need to limit the pitches to under 76 to have your entire staff available for the first day of the tournament.

They may have a couple of pitchers they wanted available tonight and chose to keep them under 31 pitches on Sunday.

Last edited:
Or get a look at somebody they have not used in a while to get rust off in case they might need them?

Dang I was wrong on my prediction.

Randolph County 8, Rowan County 3 (Randolph County wins series 2-1)

Area III champion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT