ADVERTISEMENT

AREA III Playoff format

Hon Dines

Aug 21, 2002
China Grove, NC
Northern Division 1 vs Southern Division 2
Southern Division 1 vs Northern Division 2

2 out of 3 series

Those winners will play a 1 game championship and both teams will advance to the state tournament and to determine Area III #1 seed and AREA III #2 seed.

July 20-22 Playoffs (Best-of-3)
Area 3 semifinals, North 1 vs. South 2 and South 1 vs. North 2) July 24
Area III championship game July 27-Aug. 1
State tournament, Cherryville Aug. 3-8
Mid-Atlantic Regional, Asheboro Aug. 12-17
World Series, Shelby

July 20-22 Playoffs (Best-of-3)
Area 3 semifinals, North 1 vs. South 2 and South 1 vs. North 2) July 24
Area III championship game July 27-Aug. 1
State tournament, Cherryville Aug. 3-8
Mid-Atlantic Regional, Asheboro Aug. 12-17
World Series, Shelby
Thanks for the information, Don, I didn't know the Mid-Atlantic regionals are scheduled for Asheboro... 2010, was the first and last time I'd been to a game at McCreary Park. They were hosting the state tournament. It was a great place. I went to watch Cherryville Post 100 play, but they got their clocks cleaned by Kernersville. Can't recall if Kernersville or Whiteville won it that year, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the two. I believe that is the hottest I've ever been in my life. Thought to myself, central North Carolina does not tolerate weak people, but it might have had something to do with me going straight over there after work and having on my work clothes. I plan to see some of this tournament.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, Don, I didn't know the Mid-Atlantic regionals are scheduled for Asheboro... 2010, was the first and last time I'd been to a game at McCreary Park. They were hosting the state tournament. It was a great place. I went to watch Cherryville Post 100 play, but they got their clocks cleaned by Kernersville. Can't recall if Kernersville or Whiteville won it that year, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the two. I believe that is the hottest I've ever been in my life. Thought to myself, central North Carolina does not tolerate weak people, but it might have had something to do with me going straight over there after work and having on my work clothes. I plan to see some of this tournament.
Great place to watch a game for sure!

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
Kernersville won the state that year and then regional to advance to the World Series in Fargo, ND. They finish regular season in the middle of the pack, because of a very deep playoff run by East Forsyth. I always admired what they did that year, playing their early regular season games shorthanded. But by Legion playoffs they were at full strength and really good. Seems like next year might have been the first year in Shelby for World Series.

Also, this is about 6 straight years that a regional has been in Asheboro.

And yes a great place to watch a game.

Thanks for the Info, Sportsnut. I should have known Asheboro had been hosting the regionals. I plan to make it over there.

This evening, I was listening to the Shelby broadcast of their series with Queen City (Charlotte). Shelby lost to them, last night, 5-1, (courtesy of Don's updates), but tonight, Shelby (they go by Cleveland County, now), had QC down 5-3, and let them score seven runs in the last two innings. Cleveland County, the Area IV number 1 seed, is now one game from elimination...should be an interesting season over this way.
Also, I went to Cherryville, Friday night, and couldn’t get a parking space. I think people are looking for entertainment.

Last edited:
It was the hottest I've ever been in my life as well. Felt like I was walking on Mercury.

Kernersville won the state that year and then regional to advance to the World Series in Fargo, ND. They finish regular season in the middle of the pack, because of a very deep playoff run by East Forsyth. I always admired what they did that year, playing their early regular season games shorthanded. But by Legion playoffs they were at full strength and really good. Seems like next year might have been the first year in Shelby for World Series.

That Kernersville team is still one of the best hitting teams I've ever seen. They could flat mash.

I hate that only four teams will get to continue their season. Looks like it'll be Post 45, Rowan, High Point, and either Kannapolis or Mocksville/Davie.

Thanks for the Info, Sportsnut. I should have known Asheboro had been hosting the regionals. I plan to make it over there.

This evening, I was listening to the Shelby broadcast of their series with Queen City (Charlotte). Shelby lost to them, last night, 5-1, (courtesy of Don's updates), but tonight, Shelby (they go by Cleveland County, now), had QC down 5-3, and let them score seven runs in the last two innings. Cleveland County, the Area IV number 1 seed, is now one game from elimination...should be an interesting season over this way.
Also, I went to Cherryville, Friday night, and couldn’t get a parking space. I think people are looking for entertainment.
There was more going on Friday night in Cherryville than the legion game. There is a girl's softball tournament going on consisting of 48 teams. Friday night they had the opening ceremonies for the event at the football stadium next to Fraley field. I ended up parking across HWY 150 at the Methodist Church. Are you going to try to make it to game 3 tonight in Cherryville?

Reactions: Hon Dines
But Since Post 45 Randolph County is hosting Regionals and automatically in regionals because of Hosting.Post 100 Cherryville is automomatically in states!

Chute Boxer, thanks for saying something. Kernersville could certainly hit the ball. Maybe the best stick I ever saw in legion baseball was from Kernersville. It's been some years ago, Cherryville was in a series with them. This guy brought the wood every time. Cherryville tried to pitch down and away to him and he golfed it out. After that, the Cherryville catcher would walk down the first base line. Seems like his name was Zumwalt or Zumfalt (forgive the spelling).

Linkman, I should go for the Lincolnton players, but it looks like Post 100 might have this one sewed up. I thought about going up to Morganton and watching Burke County and Mint Hill. My buddy Cheerduck has a family connection who is a key player on the Burke team...I'd like to go over to Shelby and see them (Cleveland County) play Charlotte. I know you'll be in Cherryville, tonight.

etb, yes, it would guarantee Cherryville a spot in the state tournament. Glad to see them get the tournament. Fraley field is a good place to watch some baseball, too.

Side note: Chute Boxe Hero, I've seen your post on here for a long time and you're always a classy poster, but I wondered if you're involved in that competition (shoot boxing). If you're still in it, I'll be praying for you. I've never done it, but I know what it is. That's got to be one tough, tough sport. Anyone participating in that has to be able to take a lot of pain and I congratulate you.

Wow, Thanks Sportsnut, that's very impressive. Alec Zumwalt, that's him alright. He'd come up to bat and the Cherryville fans would get right quiet, which is unusual for them. Besides being a hitter, it sounds like he has cerebral talent, too. All the best to him and his family.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekidd12

If I'm not mistaken, and I could very well be, I think most of the players off the Kernersville Legion team that went to the American Legion World Series was about the same bunch that went to the Little League World Series a few years prior. Not a weak link in that team. They reminded me of Rowan County teams in the late 60's and early 70's that featured Cass Safriet , among others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lincolnton
Chute Boxer, thanks for saying something. Kernersville could certainly hit the ball. Maybe the best stick I ever saw in legion baseball was from Kernersville. It's been some years ago, Cherryville was in a series with them. This guy brought the wood every time. Cherryville tried to pitch down and away to him and he golfed it out. After that, the Cherryville catcher would walk down the first base line. Seems like his name was Zumwalt or Zumfalt (forgive the spelling).

Linkman, I should go for the Lincolnton players, but it looks like Post 100 might have this one sewed up. I thought about going up to Morganton and watching Burke County and Mint Hill. My buddy Cheerduck has a family connection who is a key player on the Burke team...I'd like to go over to Shelby and see them (Cleveland County) play Charlotte. I know you'll be in Cherryville, tonight.

etb, yes, it would guarantee Cherryville a spot in the state tournament. Glad to see them get the tournament. Fraley field is a good place to watch some baseball, too.

Side note: Chute Boxe Hero, I've seen your post on here for a long time and you're always a classy poster, but I wondered if you're involved in that competition (shoot boxing). If you're still in it, I'll be praying for you. I've never done it, but I know what it is. That's got to be one tough, tough sport. Anyone participating in that has to be able to take a lot of pain and I congratulate you.
Yeah Chute is an alright guy…
Went to a fine HS…😂

Actually they went to Spokane, Washington for World Series. You are correct that they got hot after East Forsyth went to State final (lost to Ashley, two games to one). Another odd thing in state tournament in Asheboro is that all teams that won their area lost first round game on Saturday. Kernersville lost badly to Whiteville. Kernersville had a great squad that year and did well in WS. They did lose to WS winner, Oklahoma City I believe.

Mac, I thought about you, R.Davis and P. Whitesides, Yesterday. I drove up to watch Burke County play Mint Hill in American Legion Baseball.
On the way to Shuey Park, I passed by NCSD. It’s a beautiful place and the grounds are so well kept. With the towers it looks like what I’ve imagined an Ivy League school would look like. Go Bears

Actually they went to Spokane, Washington for World Series. You are correct that they got hot after East Forsyth went to State final (lost to Ashley, two games to one).
Thanks for the correction, I had Fargo on my mind for some reason. I also remember hearing of some horrible accommodations for the return trip home.

hopefully the playoff format will be changed in 2022

need to have 4 team state tournament instead of 8 team tournament

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT