ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Area II news

Wow, how in the world does a team not know the age of their players in legion baseball.

more news
Morehead City has opt out of the Area II playoffs..commissioner looking at what to do with their conference record?..no reason why YET?
I understand that Area II only had 7 teams this year to begin with. Now down to six with one of those having to forfeit most of their games. Sounds like a mess.

Reactions: Hon Dines
It is certainly unfortunate, but it happened. My understanding is that it was self-reported. I will give credit to Post 137 for reporting the ineligible player. Probably could have left player off roster, made an excuse for his absence and moved on.

Reactions: Hon Dines
According to the Scvarsity forums, Walhalla in South Carolina played with 2 players that are are going into their junior year of college.

How does this even happen!!!!!

I will say this I had a kid that was a graduating senior couple years back. Low and behold he was held back 2 years in elementary school and was to old to play. I would not of even thought about that until it happened. Coaches and AD'S need to double and triple check from the get go. No excuse!

I understand that Area II only had 7 teams this year to begin with. Now down to six with one of those having to forfeit most of their games. Sounds like a mess.
if they would combine area 2 and area 1 into one area, still wouldn have as many teams as area 4,

Whiteville split at Hope Mills Saturday in all likelihood gives Wilmington Post 10 the top seed in Area 2. Also shows that Whiteville will still be dangerous opponent in playoffs.

Best of luck to Post 137. Hope things gets turned around for them and they make it to the state in Greenville. I heard something about them recently doing well in an out of state tournament. The Coach was right to be up front about the oversight.

Whiteville split at Hope Mills Saturday in all likelihood gives Wilmington Post 10 the top seed in Area 2. Also shows that Whiteville will still be dangerous opponent in playoffs.
With only six teams what is the format of the playoffs. Do they give the top 2 seeds first rd byes and have just 2 first rd series with the winners playing the 2 top seeded teams in the 2nd rd?

Wilmington (#1 seed) and Hope Mills (#2 seed) got first rd byes with the remaining 4 teams playing in the first round. Whiteville defeated Wallace and Jacksonville defeated Laney. So now the semi-finals (best of 3) are set to begin on 7/11:

Whiteville (#6) vs Wilmington (#1)

Jacksonville (#4) vs Hope Mills (#2)

Last edited:
Semi-Finals (best of 3)
Tuesday results:

Wilmington 5 Whiteville 4 (13 innings)
Wilmington leads series 1-0

Hope Mills 19 Jacksonville 0
Hope Mills leads series 1-0

Wednesday's Results:

Wilmington 6 Whiteville 3
Wilmington win series 2-0