ADVERTISEMENT

any news on what's going on at owen?

That’s sad bc Owens is known for football. Not sure what is happening up there. It could be anything, today it appears people want the easiest way to success.
With Covid, girls, jobs , games systems and a lack of loyalty in high school athletics, who knows the reason. All I can say is Brad Johnson and Brad Daugherty need to make a visit . Owen kids need to realize being a Warhorse should mean something. Every community should push high school football bc it involves Varsity football, cheerleading, marching band and JV football and JV cheerleading. In most 2-A schools, that is at least 1/3 of the student body. It starts the school year off and success on the athletic field results in motivating positivity. School pride and community support means everything.

That’s sad bc Owens is known for football. Not sure what is happening up there. It could be anything, today it appears people want the easiest way to success.
With Covid, girls, jobs , games systems and a lack of loyalty in high school athletics, who knows the reason. All I can say is Brad Johnson and Brad Daugherty need to make a visit . Owen kids need to realize being a Warhorse should mean something. Every community should push high school football bc it involves Varsity football, cheerleading, marching band and JV football and JV cheerleading. In most 2-A schools, that is at least 1/3 of the student body. It starts the school year off and success on the athletic field results in motivating positivity. School pride and community support means everything.

That is a great post. Well said!

Small town football is under attack because: travel ball in all sports encourages athletes to specialize, colleges are playing games on Friday nights for TV money taking away needed revenue, some parents think their child is going to get a scholarship if they concentrate on a sport, and many small rural schools football programs are not fully funded and can not attract enough dedicated coaches or provide facilities that attract today’s athletes!!

Small town football is under attack because: travel ball in all sports encourages athletes to specialize, colleges are playing games on Friday nights for TV money taking away needed revenue, some parents think their child is going to get a scholarship if they concentrate on a sport, and many small rural schools football programs are not fully funded and can not attract enough dedicated coaches or provide facilities that attract today’s athletes!!

Yeah it’s a lot that’s going on wrong, too much to really name

It started several years ago with the concussion awareness, numbers started to drop. COVID this spring made the problem worse. The bottom line is now to be successful, you have to work really hard and there are alot of easier things for kids to do than show up every day to lift and run

It started several years ago with the concussion awareness, numbers started to drop. COVID this spring made the problem worse. The bottom line is now to be successful, you have to work really hard and there are alot of easier things for kids to do than show up every day to lift and run

New generation is soft as cream pies. Will never be like the old days, when representing your school meant something.

Reactions: Ooooner
This is not something new. Lack of participation has been occurring for about the last ten years, becoming worse each year. At a nearby 2-A high school that used to be a state power there would be 100 to 120 plus kids showing up for varsity-jv combined. Now you might get 60. You might think your school has escaped this trend, you haven’t, it just hasn’t arrived yet. Very sad, but very true.

This is not something new. Lack of participation has been occurring for about the last ten years, becoming worse each year. At a nearby 2-A high school that used to be a state power there would be 100 to 120 plus kids showing up for varsity-jv combined. Now you might get 60. You might think your school has escaped this trend, you haven’t, it just hasn’t arrived yet. Very sad, but very true.

Its not going to hit Reidsville or Shelby unless they both consistently start losing. Kids will stay at 2a schools if the team is winning and getting into college.

Reactions: Crestuff and UNC91
I’m excited about Brint coming in. I wanted him when Kenny retired but they went with Padgett. I like Padgett and appreciate what he did the last several years but for our kids the emotional aspect as well as the X’s and O’s That Brint brings to the table will be closer to the way Ford approached things which is what Owen is use to. I think you will see a different attitude starting in year one. Hopefully success will too but I know it will in time. Kids need to buy in and get to work and see where it takes them. If they do then look out. If they don’t they will only hurt themselves. It’s time parents and fans get out of the way and be supportive rather than counterproductive for the program. Good luck Brint!!!

Reactions: Otis4411
Brint should obviously have a lot of say in his staff but I hope he and the administration can get coach Curt Presley back in the fold. He would be a great Offensive play caller. The kids really like and love him too. He is great with the kids and actually shows them how much he cares with actions.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
He was there from 2015 but head coach only last season. They lost a lot of transfers from what I heard and had to forfeit the last game and had very few players all season. Unfortunately our principal suck and bullies our kids so I think he is gonna find much the same at Owen until she leaves. He has coached at 2 TN schools, Newton Conover, Crest, McDowell and East Rutherford from what I can remember off the top of my head. He is home now and I hope he stays and I believe he will

Joey Robinson’s record till the last 15 years was horrible so give him some time.

New Coach was named today.... Brint Russell. Most people probably know the name, and he was the Head Coach at East Rutherford this past season.
East had very low numbers and ended the season on a forfeit because they didn’t have enough players to participate in practice to play.. weird situation for sure

I think he will if kids stay. If the kids leave it will hurt big time

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT