ADVERTISEMENT

Antonio Williams to Wisconsin

but a coach at anytime can take another job after telling recruits to come play in my system.

To me that is different in the fact that this kid probably decided to go to this particular school because he wanted to play for this coach and his system. The player can always follow the coach to his new school. This will not hurt the new coach coming in because he will install a new system. Plus the new coach did not recruit this kid anyway. In some cases a kid is recruited by the HC at a school this kid has always been a fan of. He will more than likely still go there because this is his favorite college or university. he does not care who the new coach is because he is set on going there. This happens quite frequently.

Coach tells kids to come to a school and they(coach) leave all the time...kid should be allowed to change his mine until signing day

Football Fan 1467..Mario Williams ..Richlands High did not win conference POY and ended up NFL #1 pick....100 million dollar contract....JJ watt was not recruited by any major schools...was a TE at Central Michigan,,,transferred...? Russell Wilson...turned down by all...NCSU had a scholly and took a chance...he wanted to attend UNC and Bunting said no..Wilson made UNC pay dearly...your logic?

If the HC who recruited him leaves (and the main reason the kid goes there is because he wants to play for that coach) the player has the option to follow the HC to his new school. If he is that highly recruited then that HC will give him that option. That is the only exception as far as I am concerned.

Boys I have seen both them play and I think the kid from WM is better... He is a big time player he was only like 300 yards difference in the two of them and he had half the carries Williams did and he only carried the ball like 4 times against south Davidson. And he also had over 200 yards vs Alb and NS!!!!!

...school fires a coach or the coach leaves...kid is stuck with a offense or d that may not fit him...that can happen over a 5 year period...up til signing day is the only day the kid has power...good for the kid

The kid can transfer as well. He does not have to stay. It happens all the time. Especially when the player is a good one. His HC (the one that left) will make sure he gets a scholarship at his new school. Now if the kid does not pan out he might not get an offer to move. Don't automatically assume that this kid will ever get to play ay Wisconsin. Remember that there are several kids who actually are better than him.

The kid can transfer as well. He does not have to stay. It happens all the time. Especially when the player is a good one. His HC (the one that left) will make sure he gets a scholarship at his new school. Now if the kid does not pan out he might not get an offer to move. Don't automatically assume that this kid will ever get to play ay Wisconsin. Remember that there are several kids who actually are better than him. He may get up there and find out that he made a mistake and transfer to a smaller school closer to home. This happens often as well.

A kid has to earn playing time...we know that...but you have to sit to transfer a yr...that's a huge sacrifice...tough choice of school for a 17/18 year old...like they can change up til signing day

How bout just being positive for a stanly county born and raised athlete having the opportunity to go and be a part of a big time football program, that kid has worked his ass off, I have seen him in the weight room morning after morning since T started @ north 3 years ago. He is a honor roll student and despite some other kids looking as good or better on football field that are from WM when you look at skill sets, measured physical and mental test along with school grades, Its a no brainier on who you want to be a part of your program. He is a student athlete not just a football player and colleges like those

.but you have to sit to transfer a yr.

Only if it is a lateral transfer. Otherwise you can play the next season.

How bout just being positive for a stanly county born and
raised athlete having the opportunity to go and be a part of a big time
football program.

There is nothing wrong with that. The problem is that many of these kids get there and if they have to sit for a couple of years they become unhappy and transfer out. The excitement only lasts a short time. The WOW factor leaves very quickly.

Originally posted by btango:

Originally posted by Cold Biscuit:

Originally posted by btango:
Didn't he commit previously to North Carolina? This is not official until he signs February 2016.

I would like to see a rule in place that if a player makes a very early verbal commitment no other schools can recruit him but there would need to be a rule in place that would tie him to some degree to the school he gave the verbal.

If this is where he wants to go I am all for it! But I must ask why is he giving another verbal 14 months from when he can make it official and who is assisting him in this process? Remember the last big stud from Stanly County also gave a verbal (to an SEC powerhouse) but when it got close to signing day there was not a scholarship available and he was a four year starter at his fallback ACC school.
These are kids. They shouldn't be locked into anything. There is other sides to this. What if the coach leaves or they fall under sanctions? Would you still want your kid locked into that, I wouldn't.
That would be part of my comment that I have highlighted here.

I feel pretty confident Wisconsin will have he same running game next season. The AD is the former HC and that is what he likes. Not changing.
just an update concerning this whole recruiting process Petrino is banned from recruiting at Dutch Fork high school in south carolina for pulling their offer to an early commitee, who tried to get the process done so he could focus on his season and school.

I have personally interacted with Matt Colburn over the last three years, spent time out of state with his team this year and spent a week with him in December where he wore Louisville gear every night. Matt is a great student and super hard worker that causes no issues. Great kid! What many do not know is that he told several ACC schools that he was rock solid with Louisville and those schools backed off which left him with very few choices with Louisville pulling this so late. Louisville knew that they were losing seniors and players to the NFL but they slow played him. Kept him on the hook, even having him in for an official visit in the last two weeks. When they got the players they wanted to commit they pulled the offer on him. Currently they only have two solid DB commitments but have picked up two all purpose backs recently which may fit what they do better in their opinion than Colburn. Colburn was always low key which is his style. I am sure he is embarrassed and pissed off but he will make the best out of this. He also had offers from Navy and Army so the books are not an issue.

I had a player that I was / am close to get the same treatment from Urban Meyer and Florida (his main recruiter was Doc Holliday). When he verballed to UF and called them to give his verbal commitment they quit returning his phone calls. Finally got Holliday and he told them they wanted him but it would be "after the holidays before they could guarantee the offer."This was October and he had a written offer letter. No problem he started at an ACC school for four years. Not the first time I saw this. Another great kid that got treated like bad.

I have always felt that once a school gives a written offer that they should be required to honor that. Period. If they do not want to guarantee it then do not offer it. Note that under my comment, "I would like to see a rule in place that if a player makes a very early verbal commitment no other schools can recruit him but there would need to be a rule in place that would tie him to some degree to the school he gave the verbal," this goes for the school that provided the written offer as well as the player. If the player wanted to seek out other schools he could but they could not continue to recruit him. When Colburn told schools they backed off for the most part but he is not four or five star they sell their soul for.

Note Colburn never had a press conference, that is not his style. I am sure he is embarrassed and pissed off but he will make the best out of this. He also had offers from Navy and Army so the books are not an issue.

Knotts has always told his players if you verbal the recruiting process is over. I expect he likes that as it gets the kids more focused on playing.

I have always felt that once a school gives a written
offer that they should be required to honor that. Period. If they do
not want to guarantee it then do not offer it. Note that under my
comment, "I
would like to see a rule in place that if a player makes a very early
verbal commitment no other schools can recruit him but there would need
to be a rule in place that would tie him to some degree to the school he gave the verbal," this goes for the school that provided the written offer as
well as the player. If the player wanted to seek out other schools he
could but they could not continue to recruit him.

I totally agree.

Poster on another board said that Wake Forest had offered the running back from South Carolina who Louisville had dropped.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT