ADVERTISEMENT

Antonio Williams to Wisconsin

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Williams, a jr running back committed to Wisconsin tonight at the school. Not bad for a small 1A school.

Not bad at all. And if it's true that he'll be the only RB that UW recruits for the 2016 class, then he'll definitely get his chance. I could care less about what people have said negative about Williams, going to UW from a small 1A is like coming out of ROTC and becoming a 1 star General in the military in my eye. The Big Ten has plenty of competition that Williams will get an opportunity to go up against..as long as he stays healthy. If I was him, I would play as "Safe" as possible next year....there's nothing else left to prove at this point.

That fits his style more than an SEC school. Wisconsin always has an outstanding line and RB's can star in that system. It's a long way, but it is a much better choice. I wish him well there.

My old stomping ground,wisky(is what us Wisconsinites call it)were glad to have him aboard,running behind those big corn feed hogs upfront,he could do some damage up there,Wisconsin is running back U!

Speaking of cold up there,I remember as a kid in 1982,I'll never forget it,the wind chill was -64 and actual air temp was -32 it's on record still,car tires were stuck to the road!!!,but we kept on moving on nothing stopped us!! The cold is no joke up there,stay warm young man!!

I hate that another top talent left the state again but how can you blame him for going to Wisconsin knowing you will carry theball 30 times a game behind a huge offensive line. Congrats to the young man!

Still reading but not posting as much in the off season as my comets retool for the 2015 season, did hear last week that's what he wanted and he was up there for last weeks game, hope he does well because he has made sacrifices to get where he is. Good deal, good story and good kid. Look forward to seeing him and 8 along with the younger bro #7 strapping it on for what should be a electic senior year. Go comets!!!!!!

Didn't he commit previously to North Carolina? This is not official until he signs February 2016.

I would like to see a rule in place that if a player makes a very early verbal commitment no other schools can recruit him but there would need to be a rule in place that would tie him to some degree to the school he gave the verbal.

If this is where he wants to go I am all for it! But I must ask why is he giving another verbal 14 months from when he can make it official and who is assisting him in this process? Remember the last big stud from Stanly County also gave a verbal (to an SEC powerhouse) but when it got close to signing day there was not a scholarship available and he was a four year starter at his fallback ACC school.

From what I understand he will be leaving high school after football season next year and beginning at Wisconsin following Christmas break in preparation for spring workouts. His bookwork has allowed him to finish early and follow cross county foe bj hill starting college career a semester nearly

Great, about time 1A players are get that same love and respect as 4A prospects. Thanks for sharing this Deanna

Originally posted by btango:
Didn't he commit previously to North Carolina? This is not official until he signs February 2016.

I would like to see a rule in place that if a player makes a very early verbal commitment no other schools can recruit him but there would need to be a rule in place that would tie him to some degree to the school he gave the verbal.

If this is where he wants to go I am all for it! But I must ask why is he giving another verbal 14 months from when he can make it official and who is assisting him in this process? Remember the last big stud from Stanly County also gave a verbal (to an SEC powerhouse) but when it got close to signing day there was not a scholarship available and he was a four year starter at his fallback ACC school.
verbals are non binding for both the school and the athlete.

you can give your verbal commitment to attend a school at any time and the coach can give you a verbal commitment for a scholarship offer or a spot on the team at any time. Verbals are not binding, but rarely do the coaches renege on their scholarship offers.

I think that the student should have the right to change his/her mind and be allowed to listen to offers from other schools if it bothers the college don't recruit 10th and 11th graders, and as in your example the school didn't have a problem not saving a spot for the athlete....
that aside I hope this young man makes a big splash.

"verbals are non binding for both the school and the athlete."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's probably a good thing in this case since the coach quit today to take the Oregon State job. I wouldn't mind seeing more strings being attached to verbal commitments, but I think that when the coach quits after the actual official signing the kids should be able to go elsewhere. The NCAA has always been strict about this and used the philosophy that the athletes signed with the school, not the coach, but that is only partially true.

My whole point is that we see too much verbal commitments on both sides of this. I am going to verbal to State U but I am going to take some more visits. We are offering but lets go look at two other kids we like better which may make us not give a written offer.

I do wish we could see an early signing period like basketball has so when a player goes into his senior season the recruiting process is complete. I think the schools may not like that because unlike basketball I think it is a little tougher to judge the talent in football.

Good luck to Williams regardless of where he lands.

Wisconsin has now lost their HC twice in the last few years.

I'll be interested to see how he does. They don't play against the 3 blind mice up there. Wish him the best.

Originally posted by KW23:

I'll be interested to see how he does. They don't play against the 3 blind mice up there. Wish him the best.
With a new coach coming to Wisconsin, his non-binding verbal means nothing (actually the same as before the coach left). Look for another press conference shortly with his "Next" verbal commitment! I wonder who is advising this kid? Hope it's not the one who suggested he "play if safe" as a senior because he has nothing to prove!!!!

TW

Originally posted by sway1532:
Throwing Shots TW? Me:'Sips tea and doesn't care.' Carry on.
Throwing shots? Who Me? Lol
Bored this am so just getting a rise out of you.
Be kind of hard for you to go 5-0 in the playoffs if you tell all your good players to play it safe!!

TW

Lol, the difference between Albemarle and North Stanly is that, Albemarle is in the hunt for a championship every year and North Stanly....well
smokin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by PolkHeel:
I hate that another top talent left the state again but how can you blame him for going to Wisconsin knowing you will carry theball 30 times a game behind a huge offensive line. Congrats to the young man!
Can you blame him. NC colleges are a joke in football.

I sometimes question how hard the NC schools actually recruit their own state. They jump on freshmen and sophomores and try to get early verbals then move on out of state. They lose a lot of juniors and seniors that could contribute in the race to get the best that meet certain measurable criteria as young as possible. And then wonder why they never improve...or get worse.

All four of UNC's running backs are from North Carolina. Do not see this being as much an NC high school player thing as possibly a position or player evaluation item. Also, Williams is verbaling to Wisconsin which is a bit out of the ordinary. He is a between the tackles running back and I do not think that is so much what UNC is doing so may be he thought UNC was not the place for him.

Recruiting to UNC right now is probably a pretty tough chore considering they could be looking at further penalties (some think not anymore for football), the record the last few years which is probably not a great indicator due to the lost scholarships and completely changing the offensive and defensive systems from the previous regime. Not a factor in this case but the admissions process has tightened up severely. Watch Ole Miss, two guys that were UNC signees on D that did not get in to UNC. Often a lot more in this than what we know from the outside looking in.

These are kids. They shouldn't be locked into anything. There is other sides to this. What if the coach leaves or they fall under sanctions? Would you still want your kid locked into that, I wouldn't.

Originally posted by Cold Biscuit:

These are kids. They shouldn't be locked into anything. There is other sides to this. What if the coach leaves or they fall under sanctions? Would you still want your kid locked into that, I wouldn't.
That would be part of my comment that I have highlighted here.

I feel pretty confident Wisconsin will have he same running game next season. The AD is the former HC and that is what he likes. Not changing.

These are kids. They shouldn't be locked into anything.

Then they need to keep their mouths shut until their senior year. I don't like this verbal commitment crap anyway on either side.

So he thinks he can compete in the Big 10 but can't win Player of the Year in his own 1-A Conference? I guess Fred Lomax should be getting calls from Alabama or Oregon anytime.

I've heard teams like Georgia Tech, Duke, and Georgia Southern have been visited by Fred and a couple of his linemen. Not too shabby. Hopefully something will come of it. I believe Georgia Tech sniffed around back in the Capel days as well.

He is still going to Wisconsin from what Tyler says nothing has changed and they are working out for what hopes to be a great senior season

And if it's true that he'll be the only RB that UW recruits for the 2016 class.

If that is true it will surprise me.

I would like to see a rule in place that if a player makes a very early verbal commitment no other schools can recruit him

I agree. As a former college coach and recruiter this use to drive me nuts. It is not fair to the college nor is it fair to other kids being recruited.

Can you blame him. NC colleges are a joke in football.

Not true. The fact is if the talent was encouraged to stay in the state instead of adults telling them that they need to leave the state then this would not be discussed. The fact is NC colleges and universities get a lot of recruits from other states like FL and GA and we all know that people on here think the players from those states are far superior to the ones from NC. Again another fallacy. But that is what they preach. They btell the kids to go elsewhere and then turn around and bad mouth the instate colleges. How pathetic.

Watch Ole Miss, two guys that were UNC signees on D
that did not get in to UNC. Often a lot more in this than what we know
from the outside looking in.

A very good point btango. Most people do not understand this part of the equation.

Would love to see this kid run behind a good proven o-line like WM or a team like Swain that are always strong up front.

Good point Warrior Strong. I have said that before to. And WM returns the entire offense minus only 1 offensive lineman. That should be fun to watch next year too. I'm sure if he moved to Mount Gilead there would be enough carries for everyone...lol.

Kids can not change their minds...but a coach at anytime can take another job after telling recruits to come play in my system...The NCAA says (which is BS) choose the school not the fb program...that's why they hold kids to their word after signing day even if the coach leaves or is fired...Btango..I disagree...kids should be able to change their minds....the adults do

Usually players that leave Georgia ..Florida to come to NC schools to play...usually did not get offers from the power schools in their state or they feel they can get on the field early at a NC school...Their in state studs stay in state or go to another national power out of state or a fb name school like Ohio State...Southern Cal ...Clemson...Oregon ..ND...etc...

I have no problem if the player changes his mind but too many of them verbal to several schools. In this case they call a news conference and the HC leaves a few days later. Confused about the verbal with a press conference this early.

There are a lot of things schools / coaches do that I do not like. Slow playing players, pulling back when kids higher on their board change their mind.

As I wrote I would like to see a rule if player verbals the other schools cannot contact him in any way. The player could make contact if he wished. Is that not part of the reason a player verbals, to end the process?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT