ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball ALWS

Linkman

Jun 14, 2009
ALWS at Keeter Stadium, Shelby, NC (8/10 - 8/15)

The eight regional winners who will be arriving in Shelby are:

Mid-Atlantic - New Jersey, Hopewell Post 339 (38-10)
Southeast - North Carolina, Randolph County Post 45 (38-8)
Mid-South - Arkansas, Bryant Post 298 (39-7)
Northwest - Idaho, Lewiston Post 13) (39-11)

Northeast - Massachusetts, Shrewsbury Post 397 (34-6)
Great Lakes - Michigan, Midland Post 765 (39-2)
Central Plains - Nebraska, Creighton Prep (54-6)
Western - Nevada, Henderson Post 40 (54-7)

The tournament format is pool play with 4 teams in each pool that play round robin in their pool. The first four teams listed above make up one pool (Stars Division) and the last four teams the other pool (Stripes Division). The top two teams in each division advance to the semi-final games. The semi-final winners advance to the championship game.

Schedule:
Thursday - 4 games: 9:30, 1:00, 4:30, and 8:15. Randolph Co. plays New Jersey in the 8:15 game

Friday - 2 games: 4:00 and 7:30. Randolph County has a bye

Saturday - 3 games: 11:30, 3:30 (Randolph County plays Idaho), and 7:30

Sunday - 3 games: 12:00, 3:30, and 7:30 (Randolph County plays Arkansas)

Monday - semi-final games: 4:00 and 7:30

Tuesday - championship game at 7:00

* All the Thursday and Friday games will be streamed on ESPN3.com. Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday games will be nationally televised on ESPNU. All 15 games will be broadcast locally by KTC Broadcasting on their four radio stations (1050AM, 1390AM, 1590AM, 101.5FM).

Cost to attend
$10 for an adult day pass; $35 for a tournament pass
$5 for a student day pass

Get in free days:
Thursday: Senior Citizens Day....all senior citizens get in free

Saturday: Military Appreciation Day....all veterans and military personnel get in free

Sunday: Law Enforcement Appreciation Day...all personnel involved in law enforcement get in free

Monday: Youth Athletic Day...all youth who wear their team jersey get in free

Tuesday: On championship day for the past 6 years one of the ALWS corporate sponsors has picked up the tab for everyone to get in free. I expect the same this year.

Last edited:
Lots of new faces in this field. The only one I recognize from year's past is Midland. It's strange not seeing New Jersey and Nevada represented by Brooklawn and Las Vegas. Don't think I've ever seen a team from Idaho make it this far either.

It'll be a fun event as usual. If you've never been to the ALWS and you're a baseball fan, you need to go if you can.

Lots of new faces in this field. The only one I recognize from year's past is Midland. It's strange not seeing New Jersey and Nevada represented by Brooklawn and Las Vegas. Don't think I've ever seen a team from Idaho make it this far either.

It'll be a fun event as usual. If you've never been to the ALWS and you're a baseball fan, you need to go if you can.
I echo that. There are lots of ways to follow the action but they all pale in comparison to the experience of actually being there. Great baseball, great atmosphere, everything done first class.

Day 1 Schedule (Thursday)

9:30 Massachusetts vs Michigan
1:00 Nebraska vs Nevada
4:30 Arkansas vs Idaho
8:15 North Carolina vs New Jersey

Thursday's Results
Massachusetts 3 Michigan 2 (10 innings)
Nebraska 9 Nevada 1
Idaho 4 Arkansas 0
North Carolina 6 New Jersey 3

An opening day attendance record was set.

Last edited:
Day 2 Schedule (Friday)

4:00 Michigan vs Nebraska
7:30 Massachusetts vs Nevada

Day 2 Results
Nebraska 6 Michigan 3 (7)
Nevada 1 Massachusetts 0 (7)

Due to weather related delays and expected bad weather the next few days the ALWS officials ruled on Friday afternoon that all remaining games would be 7 inning games.

Last edited:
Linkman,

Do you think ESPN had anything to with shortening the games to 7 innings?

Friday night we were told by a Legion official that by "all games", they meant 'all remaining pool play games'. No decision had been made about Monday or Tuesday games yet.

Unfortunately, weather doesn't look like it's going to get any better during that time.

Friday night we were told by a Legion official that by "all games", they meant 'all remaining pool play games'. No decision had been made about Monday or Tuesday games yet.

Unfortunately, weather doesn't look like it's going to get any better during that time.
Thanks for that clarification. That makes sense. I'm sure with the decisions that they are making they want to keep everything fair and equal for all teams when it comes to innings given the pitch count rules.

Reactions: Westro
Day 3 Schedule (Saturday)

11:30 Arkansas vs New Jersey
3:30 North Carolina vs Idaho
7:30 Nebraska vs Massachusetts

Day 3 Results
Arkansas 7 New Jersey 4
North Carolina 4 Idaho 1
Nebraska/Massachusetts game suspended with Nebraska leading 3-1 after 4 1/2 innings (scheduled to be resumed at 11:00AM Sunday)

Last edited:
Linkman,

Do you think ESPN had anything to with shortening the games to 7 innings?
Yes, I do. ALWS officials probably won't admit that but I'm sure ESPN wants them to do everything to keep things on schedule with all games played at Keeter Stadium. Gardner Webb University is the emergency location if they can't get all the games in at Keeter, but ESPN doesn't want that.

Day 4 Schedule (Sunday)
The play begins with North Carolina and Nebraska being the only two teams without a loss in their respective pools (both 2-0)

11:00 Completion of suspended game: Nebraska leads Massachusetts 3-1 after 4 1/2 innings
12:00 Michigan vs Nevada
3:30 New Jersey vs Idaho
7:30 North Carolina vs Arkansas

Day 4 Results
Nebraska 8 Massachusetts 5
Michigan 1 Nevada 0
New Jersey 7 Idaho 5
Arkansas 5 North Carolina 0

Last edited:
Day 5 (Monday) - Semi Finals

4:30 Arkansas vs Nevada
7:30 Nebraska vs North Carolina

Start times moved back due to field conditions

Last edited:
Randolph's may not be quite as rested but they're in good shape. Still need some run support though. 0 runs on 3 hits (against day 3 pitching) isn't going to win many games.

Randolph has the opportunity today against the team I thought they would have to eventually beat to win the ALWS. Omaha, Nebraska is a good, experienced team being the only one back from last year's ALWS. If Randolph can win today I like their chances tomorrow.

One of the most interesting things is that the Nevada team made the semi-finals despite only scoring a grand total of 2 runs in 3 games. This is the team that averaged double figure runs in their Regional. They made it into the semi-finals via the tie breaker criteria with a 1-2 record.

Maine, Michigan, and Nevada all finished with 1-2 records in the Stripes Division. According to the tie breaking rules when a team finishes 3-0 (Nebraska), the games played against that 3-0 team do not count in applying the tie breaking criteria. Nevada lost to Nebraska 9-1, lost to Michigan 1-0, and beat Massachusetts 1-0. The first tie breaker after head to head was run differential...amazingly all three teams tied. The next tie breaker was best earned run average which easily went to Nevada since only their 1-0 games were counted.

Last edited:
Randolph has the opportunity today against the team I thought they would have to eventually beat to win the ALWS. Omaha, Nebraska is a good, experienced team being the only one back from last year's ALWS. If Randolph can win today I like their chances tomorrow.

One of the most interesting things is that the Nevada team made the semi-finals despite only scoring a grand total of 2 runs in 3 games. This is the team that averaged double figure runs in their Regional. They made it into the semi-finals via the tie breaker criteria with a 1-2 record.

Maine, Michigan, and Nevada all finished with 1-2 records in the Stripes Division. According to the tie breaking rules when a team finishes 3-0 (Nebraska), the games played against that 3-0 team do not count in applying the tie breaking criteria. Nevada lost to Nebraska 9-1, lost to Michigan 1-0, and beat Massachusetts 1-0. The first tie breaker after head to head was run differential...amazingly all three teams tied. The next tie breaker was best earned run average which easily went to Nevada since only their 1-0 games were counted.

With Randolph's pitching staff, I would much rather play the best team left (Nebraska) on Semi-Final Day vs Championship Day. I'll double down that Randolph's #4 is the best #4 in the country. The atmosphere at the World Series is just different. So many distractions start to enter the equation. They need a early spark today that carries into tomorrow. The loss yesterday is the absolute best thing for them. I'm assuming that everyone's #1 is on the shelf until tomorrow though.

With Randolph's pitching staff, I would much rather play the best team left (Nebraska) on Semi-Final Day vs Championship Day. I'll double down that Randolph's #4 is the best #4 in the country. The atmosphere at the World Series is just different. So many distractions start to enter the equation. They need a early spark today that carries into tomorrow. The loss yesterday is the absolute best thing for them. I'm assuming that everyone's #1 is on the shelf until tomorrow though.

I hated seeing them lose last night but agree that in this particular case it wasn't a bad thing. Hopefully Randolph's #4 will have a good day but, if not, they have a number of guys to chose from including the #5 starter and still be in good shape because of the number of days involved.

Nebraska's day 1 starter - Josh Culliver, only threw 72 pitches though (in 7 innings).

Semi-Finals Results

Nevada 7 Arkansas 3

North Carolina vs Nebraska...game suspended due to weather with Nebraska leading 2-1 and still at bat in the bottom of the 1st.

Tuesday's Schedule
4:00 resumption of Nebraska vs North Carolina game with Nebraska leading 2-1 in the bottom of the first

7:00 Championship Game
Nevada vs winner of Nebraska/North Carolina

The Carrigan family has graciously picked up the tab for everyone to get in free today. This is the 7th consecutive year that everyone has got in free on Championship day.

Nebraska 3 North Carolina 1

Nebraska vs Nevada in the Championship Game

Last edited:
What a great job by the Randolph Co. guys!! It sucks currently, but it will blend into some of the best memories after the sting wears off. Such a fine line between winning and losing at that level. The entire organization represents what Legion Baseball is about.

Reactions: Eagles/Trojans13
After seeing Rowan get so close last year and coming up just short, I know the feeling. Randolph County should be proud of their season and accomplishments. They represented Area III and NC exceptionally well!

It's difficult to win if you can't score runs. Randolph scored a grand total of one run the last two games. They had opportunities but just couldn't deliver the clutch hit. Congrats to them for the great season they had.

a team with 2 loses in pool play wins championship and 1 lose team in the ws finishes 2nd . need to change to double eliminate format

Congrats to Randolph on representing Area III and NC in the WS. Job well done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT