ADVERTISEMENT

Albemarles Tom Knotts

sway1532

Aug 15, 2011
Albemarle's own Tommy Knotts, continues to impress in SC. I don't keep up with SC football, but I do believe that Knotts went into a program that really "Sucked" and made it into a Power House in SC. From West Charlotte to Independence all the way to SC the Albemarle Alumni has made a name for him self. I also wanna say that he applied for the Albemarle football head coaching position, but was turned down.....image Knotts and Coach Gaster on the Coach staff, I would have loved to see that.

If any Albemarle coaches ever read this board, they really need to reach out to him and get some x's and o's from him. I'm pretty sure that he would love to share information. Hell I'll have his number on the "Emergency" contact list in my phone!

Links below:

http://preps.goupstate.com/article/20141128/PREPS/141129665/1011/opinion06

http://www.thestate.com/2014/11/29/3842267/dutch-fork-crushes-byrnes-in-state.html?sp=/99/181/620/
This post was edited on 11/29 3:58 AM by ggman[/URL]

Knotts was passed over for the HC job in the spring of 1979. He had not coached high school ball and had finished his Duke career with the 1977 (corrected the year) season. He may have had a learning curve and system (Albemarle only at the time) wanted to go with someone that had more experience. Dave Holcomb the successful hoops coach got the nod. Knotts would have tried some really different approaches and pushed the boundary on offense.

His first coaching job was as QB coach and OC at Independence the next season. Mark Maye (UNC) and Chip Ferguson (FSU) were his first two QBs there with Ferguson being a young backup to Maye. First HC job was at Harding starting with the 1983 season.

This post was edited on 12/11 8:06 PM by btango

I'd put him up there as one of the greatest coaches of all time at the high school level.

Did Tommy have a brother named Bobby Knott. Bobby Knott taught me at West Columbus in 1973. PE,and JV football.
Heck of a personality and coach.

Originally posted by gotoblueg:
Did Tommy have a brother named Bobby Knott. Bobby Knott taught me at West Columbus in 1973. PE,and JV football.
Heck of a personality and coach.
No, it is Knotts with an "s". His only brother is Mack. Big time football family, all went to Duke. His uncle coached at the biggest of the big college programs. That uncle and one other were All Americans at Duke.

Wow! I didn't know Duke and Football should be used in the same sentence. I think I learned that in 6th grade English.
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Knight-of-old:
Wow! I didn't know Duke and Football should be used in the same sentence. I think I learned that in 6th grade English.
roll.r191677.gif
Tell that to David Cutcliff ,Knight. I am sure you are a much better coach than Knotts or Cutcliff and probably were a way better player too. Where did you play Notre Dame, USC or Alabama?
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Knight-of-old:
roll.r191677.gif
Duke was usually the top program in the state until the mid to late 1960's. Duke has seven ACC titles which is the same as NC State.

Back in 2001 Tom Knotts brought His Independence Football Team to Chapel Hill early to watch Albemarle play some against Wallace Rose Hill. Still proud of Our #12 Quarterback

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT