ADVERTISEMENT

Albemarle looking for new coach

It has been a gradual drop for awhile. Talbert was 8-3 on the field. First time HFC and first time AD both put in position late. No AD until after school started led to the paperwork related forfeits.

Coaching may not have been what it once was but the decline of the program is not the result of a coach or AD's failures..

No dog or cat in the fight here, but when did Albemarle football go into a downward spiral? 2014 under Doug Talbert, with a record of 1-10 that included and seven forfeit losses? Or, 2015, under Scott Smith, with the Bulldogs finishing 3-9?

The announcement of the plans followed by the one week open enrollment without a principal ad and coaches for mbb and football. Even with that we had a list of good coaches apply went another direction a bunch of kids lost interest in playing.

Coach Kimrey did a great
I'm hearing that the reason former principal Kilgore got re-assigned to East Albemarle is because he REFUSED to do this (can the AD and the HFBC), so the SCS Administration brought in their puppet to do it.

If this is true, it's nice to know he had the guts to stand up for the right things.

Pretty sure you heard wrong info new dawg

I don't think you cam blame a coach, AD, or just one person in general. It all points to administration. And, the BOE always has their heads stuck in the sand ... Complete ignorance and neglect ...

From what I was told, Spring workouts were going great and they installed a new O and the kids loved it. They had a good turnout also....dang shame what happened.

They wanna dig Albemarle in the ground so bad its disgusting...

Why would Ralph take this job. Not a pay raise and I do not think it is currently a better situation but it could be. The new principal I do believe has coached and came from Anson(?).

So if Albemarle gets Jackson, y'all going to blame Poole or give him credit?

Why would Ralph take this job. Not a pay raise and I do not think it is currently a better situation but it could be. The new principal I do believe has coached and came from Anson(?).

May be a situation similar to Danny Akins leaving AHS for SW Randolph. Ralph still lives in East Albemarle (5 minutes from AHS) and is commuting + 30 miles each way to Wadesworld. He has got things on the upswing at Anson, but it would definitely be an even tougher rebuilding job if he were to take on this challenge.

So if Albemarle gets Jackson, y'all going to blame Poole or give him credit?

Do not think the BOE had anything to do with the removal of the HFC and AD. Personally I think the BOE wants AHS to stay open in its current state which will allow them more political freedom to do what they wish with the schools in western Stanly.

From what I've heard the removal of the HFC and AD came from the reccomendation of the county Athletic Director Mike Williams. I really don't think the principal had been on the job long enough to make such a big decision by himself. Still wondering why we need a county AD when all the schools have their own. If indeed Ralph Jackson is the new hire I wish him well but this would be the third former head coach Albemarle has hired from North Stanly. What I am trying to say is when you think of successful high school football programs North Stanly has been on the bottom of the list.

He was somewhat successful with Williams at tailback but ....he ain't in Kansas anymore. This will be like coaching NS back in the old days. I wish him well, but he has a lot of obstacles to deal with. Unless the county reverses the transfers who belong in the AHS district and force them to return, he will still be coaching a relatively small j.v. team playing a Friday night schedule.

I agree nipit...I think we are probably look at another season like last year..However I wish Jackson the best...I know I will be there on fri nights no matter who is coaching,,,GO DOGS!!!

I've met Mr. Jackson before in Wal-Mart. We were both getting our oil changed, and he sparked up a conversation. It was an intelligent conversation and I had nothing but respect from him after that.

In my opinion, this is the best fit. Nothing against Mason as I was looking forward to see what he was gonna put on the field this year, Jackson can relate to the players better. That's one thing we spoke about. He fully understands that he's not in "Kansas" and what up hill battle he has. Remember from the SNAP:

"Jackson said that his decision to become the Bearcats’ head coach was “a great opportunity to help kids in another place”.

This is what's missing in Albemarle, a coach that will not only help the kids, but their families as well. That's the reason why everybody loved Gaster....

I would like to see Mason a DC tho...best of wishes to Albemarle..Go Dogs.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Sway...I meant no disrespect saying "Kansas" and grown men apply for these type of jobs. I am confident he can handle it. I am just reminding everyone that coaching changes won't change the situation. Until the county has district lines that encourage kids to stay, Albemarle will struggle to recover from the last three years of chaos over closing the school. Kids left...support left... It is not what most coaches in the state would consider a "good" job in the near future. I hope he can "Make Albemarle Great Again." (registered trademark Nipit.enterprises.2centsworth.com. All rights reserved.)

Dogs9 I have been told the same thing regarding and issue with the county AD and AHS. Heard there was a disagreement about whether a student with a felony charge should be allowed to play basketball. Kimrey was against it and I think he was right but the rule is they cannot play unless they have been convicted of a felony. Slippery slope but being on a team is not a right.

If they are hiring a new coach I would like to see what coaches apply. I know of one guy that would be a good fit with a nice resume on the field and sideline.

Sleeh is right. AHS has the largest amount of students available living in the city limits but those students are not going to AHS. Until they make a strict rule on transfers and residency it will only get worse. The first thing they need to do is offer any and all classes at AHS that other schools have as much as possible which would alleviate the educational availability argument for transfering. If they are not going to do that it is time to look at the nuclear option for the four high schools in Stanly County. As of today AHS will have less than 400 students on their enrollment. That does not work.

[QUOTE="Sleehrat84, post: 417267, member: 280" I hope he can "Make Albemarle Great Again." (registered trademark Nipit.enterprises.2centsworth.com. All rights reserved.)[/QUOTE]

I hollered! lol.

I didn't take it as disrespect @Sleehrat84 lol. He's got a tough job. But I will tell you this. Ralph is going to run that ball according to one of the assistant coaches at Anson. It's gonna be 3rd and a mile and Mr. Jackson is gon run that ball :D. You heard it here first lol!

I don't think Poole gets much respect yet. He needs to consider more Money for head Coaches. I believe He can bring some excitement back from the last 3 years

I've met Mr. Jackson before in Wal-Mart. We were both getting our oil changed, and he sparked up a conversation. It was an intelligent conversation and I had nothing but respect from him after that.

In my opinion, this is the best fit. Nothing against Mason as I was looking forward to see what he was gonna put on the field this year, Jackson can relate to the players better. That's one thing we spoke about. He fully understands that he's not in "Kansas" and what up hill battle he has. Remember from the SNAP:

"Jackson said that his decision to become the Bearcats’ head coach was “a great opportunity to help kids in another place”.

This is what's missing in Albemarle, a coach that will not only help the kids, but their families as well. That's the reason why everybody loved Gaster....

I would like to see Mason a DC tho...best of wishes to Albemarle..Go Dogs.
Ralph Jackson will want to win Ballgames

You all may be right about Jackson. I heard today that the demise of Kimrey was that he blocked Jackson from getting an interview last year. I obviously am not a fan of former NS coaches but this one may work. We shall have hope.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
I haven't chimed in on football in a long time so here goes..... Ever since 2013 Albemarle hasn't had a leg to stand on when it comes to football, mostly due to the county trying to cut the legs off themselves. Anyone involved needs to hold on to their hats, cause I don't see anyone building up the program to what it was. Heck, the school might not be around long enough if the BOE has anymore say in it, which they will before its all over. Coach Jackson will do a good job and should he pick up some of the few good bits left of what used to be AHS football. but winning 4 games would be considered a magic show in his first year. You're looking at a 4-5 year rebuild, if your lucky.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT