ADVERTISEMENT

Albemarle looking for new coach

Ladge

Aug 31, 2003
New principal has relieved Coach Mason from his duties as HC. Also has relieved the AD.

Reactions: atucker2
They continue to run their own truck over themselves. If anything the school and kids need continuity. The AD is one of the most beloved guys there.

Mason would be a great hire for a DC or position coach.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
So much for improvement this year..

I swear they contiually find new ways to screw themselves over time and again.I hate it for those players though they deserve better. Mason coulda made something out of them if he had the time because he was trying hard.It's gonna be hard to find a quality replacement; who wants to go into a year or bi yearly buzzsaw because a principal doesn't approve? Nothing kills a program more than someone who can't get out of the way.

I gotta ? in regards to Stanly Co; is it open enrollment or does players have to have a valid move?

I think AHS started over a dozen freshman and sophomores last season. No JV team. Probably had less than 35 players.

Word I'm getting is that although it is being reported that the new principal made the change, he did so at the direction of the SCS administration. You can rest assured that some of the weasels on the Stanly County School Board had a hand in this.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
I am hopeful. We needed to hit the reset button with Principal, AD, and Fb Coach. I am impressed already with the new principal. Mason was not the answer. Great job SCS and AHS new principal. Lets get a real football coach. I feel confident that they are out there.

Word I'm getting is that although it is being reported that the new principal made the change, he did so at the direction of the SCS administration. You can rest assured that some of the weasels on the Stanly County School Board had a hand in this.

One weasel in particular...

I am hopeful. We needed to hit the reset button with Principal, AD, and Fb Coach. I am impressed already with the new principal. Mason was not the answer. Great job SCS and AHS new principal. Lets get a real football coach. I feel confident that they are out there.

Sorry Susan but you are WAY off base on the AD..They will not find a better man or bulldog supporter than Jamie Kimery........

Sorry Susan but you are WAY off base on the AD..They will not find a better man or bulldog supporter than Jamie Kimery........
I don't know much about what the AD has done. I think he is possibly a casualty of the performance of the athletic program over the past two years. We have been a loser to NS in pretty much every sport including the main two which are football and mens basketball. I am not even sure what sport we are good at anymore. Sad times at AHS.

Susan, I do not know if Jim Mason was the long term answer but he took over a program that was in disarray. Starting over a dozen 9th and 10th graders means you are in a building process from the ground up. You do not put that man in the position for one season. Do you think that coaches are clamoring for an interview to be the sixth coach in six seasons?!?

An opposing coach, one of the best in the state, told me after playing Albemarle a few years ago that it did not matter who was coaching. Numbers, size, talent, basically everything was so inferior to what they had put on the field in previous years that it was mind boggling.

Sometimes continuity is the best answer. If you want to get rid of Mason do it January 2018 when school starts back and get the new coach in right away.

Susan, I do not know if Jim Mason was the long term answer but he took over a program that was in disarray. Starting over a dozen 9th and 10th graders means you are in a building process from the ground up. You do not put that man in the position for one season. Do you think that coaches are clamoring for an interview to be the sixth coach in six seasons?!?

An opposing coach, one of the best in the state, told me after playing Albemarle a few years ago that it did not matter who was coaching. Numbers, size, talent, basically everything was so inferior to what they had put on the field in previous years that it was mind boggling.

Sometimes continuity is the best answer. If you want to get rid of Mason do it January 2018 when school starts back and get the new coach in right away.
With all due respect btango, the hire should have never happened. It was one of the silliest moves in AHS history. This firing saved us years of regression. Lets hire a football coach and move forward.

Please get together the list of prospective applicants for vetting.

seems like a broken record, every year susancoleman says previous coach sucked and firing was legit, im beginning to think nobody is satisfactory for susan. u must have one obedient husband.

Reactions: sway1532

You are WAY OUT OF BOUNDS with this comment.

We read all about your personal beefs with Mason last fall, but he has been working his tail off in the off season trying to make things better. Nick Saban could not have done any better coming into the situation Jim came into last year.

As for the AD, Jamie Kimrey deserves a RAISE and a COMMENDATION for just holding the ship together for the last couple years while the situation with AHS's enrollment decline. And not only did he hold things together, he actually IMPROVED things overall. Not so much with W's and L's, but with facilities and resources, which is the main thing an AD works with. North Stanly has about 33% more students than AHS now...and many students who live in the AHS district. Why? Because our county cannot put together AP classes at all the schools, so AHS and SSHS end up sucking hind teat. Look at the rosters of NSHS teams and you are going to see numerous names of kids who when to AMS and even AHS for a while. Is that Mason and Kimrey's fault? NO!!!

Continuity is vital to building a winning program, and it seems someone, somewhere in the SCS hierarchy is on a mission to destroy any continuity within the AHS athletic program.

Last edited:
Well, when 90% of the powers to be only have an High School education, this is the type of cluster $&@; you get....

Carry on...

That is their job to submit their application. I think Akins or Baxter would be a great hire.

The second sentence shows you are out of touch with reality. Neither of these men would remotely consider the job at AHS in its current status.

There is one truly qualified coach regarding the football aspect and relating to the students I know that may would take the job but it will be a stepping stone and I am not sure they would hire him although he would be a great fit.

Both deserve better treatment than they got. Both worked theirs tails off and were ambushed in my opinion. I have no confidence in the school board as long as Melvin Poole is on the board. Who in their right mind would want the head coaching job now? And for your information Susan Coleman Bear Bryant wouldn't have won anymore games than Mason did last year.

Reactions: RD28327
Both deserve better treatment than they got. Both worked theirs tails off and were ambushed in my opinion. I have no confidence in the school board as long as Melvin Poole is on the board. Who in their right mind would want the head coaching job now? And for your information Susan Coleman Bear Bryant wouldn't have won anymore games than Mason did last year.
I disagree, I think Bryant would have beaten South Stanly and Chatham Central. I think Gaster would have taken North Moore as well. Any chance Travis Gaster may come back to be the savior?

I disagree, I think Bryant would have beaten South Stanly and Chatham Central. I think Gaster would have taken North Moore as well. Any chance Travis Gaster may come back to be the savior?

As an outsider looking in, based on the past 5 years, I just don't see a savior walking through the doors. Your savior was Russell Stone and you screwed that up.

This reminds me of what's going on in Thomasville. Jobs are gone. Less kids coming to the school. Less talent to pull from. Then the Browns get ran off. Thomasville football will likely never be the same. Hope something changes for both schools.

Just wanted to say this. Coach Kimrey is a great man came in and did an outstanding job. Not sure what led to his leaving but I have nothing but respect for him and the job he did at AHS. He has a true passion for kids and AHS. Wish him nothing but the absolute best moving forward.

When this news came out, I was told Kimrey wants to go to North and coach girls volleyball.

He lives in the North district and has a daughter that will go to North .

No dog or cat in the fight here, but when did Albemarle football go into a downward spiral? 2014 under Doug Talbert, with a record of 1-10 that included and seven forfeit losses? Or, 2015, under Scott Smith, with the Bulldogs finishing 3-9?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT