ADVERTISEMENT

Alb 64 west mont 76 alb Ft 4/7 WM FT 19/29

bulldog nation2014

Feb 21, 2014
Albemarle was up 14-2 before a couple of straight foul calls got two starters in foul trouble. They only played 3 quarters. Ref controlled game. Even called a block on one of the alb girls for boxing out his explanation was she did the splits lmao. Revenge game tomorrow night.

I may get deleted for saying this but does anybody see that the refereeing this season is atrocious to say it nicely? I know the state has handcuffed most with the ridiculous hand-checking rule, but some of these people don't know anything they are calling. Most of them have a difficult time calling the charge and block. They are very inconsistent from end to end and mostly from game to game. It has made for bad basketball this season. It is sad that the officials control any part of the game but this season they are in control the entire game. I was at a game 2 weeks ago. BOTH teams were playing a stretch zone but still zone. There were 18 fouls called in the first quarter. Both teams were in the bonus within the first 4 minutes of the game. At games end, a total of 64 fouls were called. And it was a high caliber game too. I went to another game Friday and a total of 54 fouls were called. Something has to give. Go back to a 2 man crew and let the players play a little. Makes for boring basketball....

I agree. We messed up tonight and really should have won anyway. But the foul calls really affected us in how we defended the rest of the game. Plus the calls they were calling were just off the wall. Fast break the defender was backing up wasn't going to foul or make contact offensive player extended her arm to make the contact and clear more space as the defender was back pedaling at this point defender was out of bounds and they called a block. The splits call was the call of the year. Lmao never heard that before in my life.

Had another game this year we were up 1 we trapped them the girl stepped out of bounds 3 steps then they gave the opponent the timeout. At the timeout they gave the opponent another second so from 9.6 to 10.6 seconds left and the ball at half court should have been on the baseline at the other end of the court where she was trapped. They ended up scoring at the end to win.

Refs are also very sensitive. We are down 1 with 1:27 left our player drives gets knocked to the floor their ball. We have our press set the player who got knocked to the floor looks at coach shrugs her shoulders starts running back to get in position for press ref gives her a tech plus 2 off free throws and they score. 4pt swing we just turned them over 4 times on our press before that play. Lol

It's got nothing to do with the officials, it's entirely about the attempt by the NCAA and the NFHS to legislate offense into the game (spoiler: you can't).

The officials are handcuffed by the hand check rule, the block/charge is now so subjective that it varies from minute to minute and there's no consistency about what's a foul and what's not.

Example: Kid has a hand put on his waist on perimeter? Foul. Kid gets blasted in the lane or shoved off a spot going for a rebound? Not a foul?

If the sport REALLY wants to put more points on the scoreboard and open things up, they need to quit clinging to the past and institute a 30 second shot clock in North Carolina (and drop the NCAA clock to 30).

Not to get off on a tangent here, but a great example is the Wesleyan-GDS game tonight. The coaching staffs of those two schools should be ashamed of themselves for what they did. In 4 overtime periods, the two teams combined for 6 points because they both played 4 corners offense. With that kind of talent on the floor, that's disgraceful.

I agree Dave. Point on. It's very inconsistent and the refs seem to be confused. Lol. In OT it becomes a possession game. I am not sure on 4 corners but in OT I believe in executing your offense regardless of time to get a good shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT