ADVERTISEMENT

AHS to become a magnet school?

Buddy, nothing is way too late. My question is if they build two new high schools for the entire county will the existing high schools become middle schools.

Originally posted by Buddy Rich:

Btango, by being a messenger are you saying that this is being mandated from Raleigh. That could be and the school board has no say so in the matter. Hope I am wrong but it sounds like a done deal to me. Just like the merger. It saddens me to no end to see this come about. All I can say is we will all reap what has been sown by this school board. Hope they can all sleep good at night knowing what they have done. Sad part is they probably will.
Did you read my earlier post in this thread at 1:17 pm today? If not read the first two paragraphs. I think you will remember I have raised the idea of consolidation at least as early as the summer.

Buddy what was it like in the early 1960's when South, West, and North were opened? I am sure that the population in those areas went ballistic about moving the high school students from their community schools. Eleven schools moved their freshman through senior classes to the three consolidated high schools. Albemarle was then in its own system.

Originally posted by Buddy Rich:

This could have been done when the schools merged. Now it is way to late.
Granted it is not going to work now because the funds are not available. My question is hypothetical, if it could be done now would you support that plan? I have been told by several people in one district that they do not need to combine with anyone.

The biggest difference between you and me btango is I have a strong allegiance to AHS where as you do not. However we can still discuss these issues as adults. You have way more knowledge in some of these manners than I do , but nobody can love AHS as much as I do and I mean NOBODY. But life has taught me that I can't always have what I want, but I can always keep on, keeping on.

Why did albemarle join the county district? Was it forced to or was it a move they thought would benefit Albemarle city schools. I have been told by numerous people that since albarle joined the county system it has been on a decline. Wondering if it's a very similar situation as this maybe the community was blind sided. I spoke to a few this week that spoke of when the redistricting happened ALOT of people were upset about it. Seems like the board maybe bullies it's way to what it wants instead of listening to the people and looking at all options on the table

It was like a thief in the night, nation. We all woke up one morning and we were a merged system. I know the gentlemen that was mainly responsible for this as he thought it would further his political ambititions. Did'nt work out that way but the damage was done. Worse thing that ever happened to AHS. And now the final curtain.

Yeah I kind of figured that. Maybe history repeating itself? I thought it was odd because I was told before AHS joined the county it was doing great. Actually the word was thriving. That's how the school should be. Removes bias let all the schools be their own districts. Albemarle city school district, west stanly school district, north school district, and south school district. That way the people you have won't have any bias towards any school and there sole focus and job would be to improve the school. Have albemarle city limits plus 5 mi around the limits be Albemarle city schools. I would have no problem paying a 1% school district tax if my money went to AHS. Sorry I just dot believe this board has the right to close the school.

It was great, nation. Everybody was happy with their own community schools and then along comes so and so and decides to change everything. Now we all see what has happened. I knew this was coming eventually and now it is here. What a really big screwed up mess. Stanly County will probably become the laughing stock of the whole state. That is if anybody cares.

It's gonna fail either way you look at it. I can't wait to watch the "Cow Poop" hit the fan when things start moving and thoes dummies standing right next to it. Thoes idiots on the school board think their slick? Someone will end up getting sued over this if it doesn't go as planned. Watch what I tell you.

I guess I am a simple minded fellow. If it was done it can be undone. I guess I see if we broke away into our school district rezoned properly and we voted a 1% school district tax in for Albemarle city school district. We would have a more diverse student body and the revenue to support it. In addition we would have a board that had albemarle city schools best interest at heart. Plus the additional revenue would allow us to update facilities, add ap teachers and programs etc. It would be a building process but it would get us back on the right track.

Figure this. If we got a 1% city school district tax and the avg income of ACS after re zoning was $40,000 and there were 7000 people in ACS district not including business that's 2,800,000 revenue for the schools. Plus state money.

Well sir if the people of Albemarle want it to happen it can. They have to be willing to fight for it. I don't know why it couldn't. Anybody else? I mean we are acting like the school board is the final however I don't see why we couldn't break away and be our own district with our own board.

I am going to get some to get some information on the system consolidation.

The state is pushing for one county systems now. No way a new separate school system would be approved. They have refused extra funds to some smaller city systems that are struggling.

If Albemarle were a stand alone system right now I think a lot of the exact same issues would remain. The industrial tax base nor the profit the city water and power grid made off the factories. Albemarle has changed drastically over the last twenty to thirty years.

Well they are approving charters which get county money and charter money at an alarming rate. I mean what did they approve this year 40+? Also it may not be what it once was in regards to industry but there is plenty of business and people. IMHO I think of this board over ACS for example had only to focus on the best interest of that school and remove the bias it would greatly benefit the schools of Albemarle and it's performance.

Ok here is some more info I just looked up.

City of Albemarle
11,000 plus over the age of 18
$33.000 avg median household income (up from 31000 in 2000)

At a 1% school district tax not including businesses etc $3,630,000.00 per year.

That would not include state money that would not be extra funds it would be current funds already paid out which is paid out per child that attends that school district if I am not mistaken.

Seems to me it would be doable like I said I am a simple minded man.

I would be extremely surprised if a 1% tax on anything passed a vote. The county could not get a .25% sales tax passed with every voting precinct on the county being against it. The money was to go to the schools and emergency communications system which appears to be a major concern.

Charters are one of the biggest reasons we are discussing this. Charters started in NC in the mid 1990's. Greystone has grown as people seek a refuge from the public schools. Charters were limited to 100 total in the state but the caps as removed. I personally see it as a legalized form of segregation under the old mantea"separate but equal" which everyone knows was BS.

Buddy believe me I understand and can tell by your words that you are tore up about this. I did not miss an Albemarle game for many years. I try to make one a year now although I am at a game every Friday night.

I am not saying it is but if it is the best move you have to accept it. With that said getter details and research it. I have already read and heard absolutely false statements about this. Do not believe everything you hear whether it is a person within the system or a general citizen. Most have little idea of what all is involved.

If am not mistaken the school board meets next Tuesday at the old Quenby Mall.
Attend and listen. There will be a lot of folks who will be against regardless and will not listen.

It's not uncommon for city schools to get a 1% passed especially if it goes directly to the city schools. There is no questions and fr what I understand a lot of people don't have a lot of faith on the board or anybody for that matter making decisions and allocating funds at the county level. If you had a board that was pro albemarle and their jobs were to vote and work for Albemarles best interest I think it is not as far fetched as you may think. I may be wrong but it wouldn't be the first time though.

IMHO it's the best case for everybody. The county doesn't have to worry about albemarle and AHS stays opened and has the ability to improve and has more resources.

You are proposing a 1% income tax on all citizens that live in the city limits of Albemarle? Would there be an income cap?

America is extremely anti tax increase right now and normally follows the Republucan Party which is dominant in the county. The last Democrat to win a countywide position was the previous Sheriff who lost in the ladt election.

If you could pull that off you you wiill have a job in DC. I think this would start with the city council but I do believe it would require a referendum.

You bet I am btango, but I am trying to keep an open mind about this. I have an invlaid wife at home and cannot leave her but I intend to watch the board meeting on TWC channel 21. I try to watch the city council and county commissors meeting as much as possible. I will now be focused on the school board meetings even more. Thanks.

I do agree with that. However you would be talking about only a $330 increase yearly however you have a community rallying around the school right now. Additionally most in the community that graduated from AHS remember what it is like to be seperate from the bias of the county system.

You are talking about $330 a year est for a kid from albemarle not to goto west or north. Shoot it would cost more than that a year to bus each kid from albemarle to north or west or to drive them there for sporting events like practices.

If a kid from albemarle went to west and played basketball for example. You would spend $10 in gas a day for practice. So about $50 a week or 2600 a year. Not including paying for admission into games etc. The kids who drive will still be paying that daily to attend school there. That $330 a year doesn't seem bad now does it.

So not only would AHS remain open but you would actually increase their budget by I believe 1.1 million a year, I use that loosely as well. It seems 2.2 is what I heard of the current operating budget.

Pros:
AHS would stay open
Parents save $2600 a year est
ACS would actually increase the operating budget by 1.1million (without state funds and est business revenue)
Properly re zoning adds kids to the school
The revenue is there to update facilities over time and add more AP classes.

This post was edited on 1/30 12:28 AM by bulldog nation2014

This post was edited on 1/30 12:29 AM by bulldog nation2014

In regards to a income cap I am not sure. Like I said I am simple minded man. I'm not a politician lol. I am in the business field and I know there are only solutions. This was to quick for me to believe that these people one looked out for the est interest of the kids and two I believe their are personal motivations behind it. As a community I would not back a county tax because even the way you told me about it was too generalized. This would be for the albemarle City School district period end of story. Not schools and emergency communications stuff that I have no idea about or know what you plan on doing with it. Like I said hard to ask for money from a county standpoint when people have no faith in your abilities to allocate funds properly. FYI I am a republican :). And there are a lot of taxes I am unhappy about in NC but this is one I would pay anyday all day and you know the saying when there is 1 there is a 100.

A few things that would play largely into this.

Who is registered to vote and who will vote?

How many people that will not and do not have children that will or do attend AHS? Tougher to get them to pay taxes especially those on a set income such as retired. One group that would be hard to judge is a very conservative voter that is against big government but also against higher taxes. I would think a Tea Party type would have an issue with the Albemarle schools. Just my opinion.

How many people will pay a lot more than $300? Some will pay much more while others will pay zero. If $40,000 is the average household income there will be households with less than $10k and more than $100k.

I have no idea how much $3.3 million would cover for a school system. No idea how many people would need to hired nor where they would come from although some would come over from the county system due to cuts. A superintendent is going to make over $100k.

A lot of questions. Very interesting!

Off the top of my head the following cities have a school system that is not a county wide system.

Kannapolis in Cabarrus and Rowan County ***

Mooresville in Iredell

Thomasville in Davidson

Lexington in Davidson

Asheville in Buncombe

Chapel Hill and Carrboro in Orange

Asheboro in Randolph

Elkin in Surrey and Wilkes ***

Clinton in Sampson

Newton Conover in Catawba

Hickory in Catawba

Whiteville in Columbus

I may have missed a few at the most if any. Twelve systems that are not part of the county with one being a dual town system and two with the students and town limits being in two neighboring counties.

I am sure Thomasville and Lexington will stand out to most posters as will Kannapolis although that is a totally different animal.

A few years ago there was talk about Kannapolis being absorbed into Cabarrus County although . My understanding is that David Murdock stepped forward showing the growth of the Research Campus would be able to sustain the system. I think there was also a large amount of money put to the system. The system had formerly been well supported by Cannon Mills tax base and their corporate donations.

Have heard talk that there could be change in Davidson County. With the demise of the furniture industry that could be more likely. Thomasville has about 2,500 students in four schools splitting the elementary into lower and higher grades. Their budget is over $24 million.

I would think the system most likely resembling Albemarle is Elkin but it is in two counties which makes it more complicated. Three schools with 1,200 students while Albemarle has four schools and I would expect about 1,700 students. Yearly budget is over $12 million.

This post was edited on 1/29 11:55 PM by btango

I believe you will have a lot of upset people and a lot of people who don't know what is going on. I think with the way this is being handled does nothing to build confidence in anybody from the boards standpoint. There is no way they have thought and considered all options. IMHO I believe something of this magnitude deserves a peoples vote. I believe you have people from all 4 schools that is against this for one reason or another. I believe the most viable option is for ACS to split back into it's own school district pending the 1% school district tax passed by the people of the City of Albemarle.

Yeah, I am ones of those conservative types I dot like big government and I don't like higher wasteful taxes. A 1% SD tax would is not something that is unheard of for city schools. I also believe a board for Albemarle where there interest is solely improving ACS would make a huge difference.

Like I said in regards to the cap or specifics it am sure through actual discussions of area business leaders and individuals could lead to some great ideas.

But there is not one person who can tell me that is not a viable option. Secondly I don't believe that has even been discussed in regards to ACS becoming their own district again.

There is no secret something has to be done, I do not believe that AHS needs to be closed. I think the bias and I want for AHS as a county population this is the first thing to come up was closing without taking any regard for a lot of kids.

I have no problem with charters as a alternative for public schools, I believe they need to limit those strongly as it takes away from the public schools. Where NC has gotten crazy is allowing 20-40 new ones a year.

There are a lot of counties that have gone in the direction of consolidating into one system in order to save money because they do not have to double spend on central office administration and maintenance personnel. You don't normally see a school closed unless the system is going to a one HS system like Richmond County. If SC went to a two high school system where would they build them and what would be the farthest distances for the kids to have to travel to get to school? If they made AHS a magnet school I could see a lot of recruiting going on for athletic purposes disguised as an academic move. That happens in other states very frequently.

No1 rams the magnet at AHS would have no sports programs and you are looking at kids from AHS driving if they went to west about a 40 min plus round trip. And if you build 2 new high schools you are talking millions to just build them.

They say 2 new HS that would be centralized on each part of the county but I don't believe they really have a target. Feels like to me they are trying to get this done as quickly as possible while they can while the support on the board is there. Only 1 person on the county board is against shutting down AHS before the election that was not the case.

Going back to the magnet it would be a stem magnet which kids would have to test high enough to even get in for science and math.

My biggest fear nation is this school board is going to strike again in the middle of the night just like they did when they approved merger of the 2 school system. And we have all seen was a disaster that has been. I think the first thing we all need to do is show up at the next school board meeting in force and just try and see what they're up to. Or at least watch it on TWC 21. I've watched some of the commissers meetings, city council, and school board meetings before and there is hardly anybody there to see what is going on. It's past time for the people to become a watchdog at these meetings and have some sayso in what they all are doing. My greatest fear is they are going to ramrod this thing down our throat before we can stop them. I believe bango said the next school board meeting is next week. I am going to find out and go. Hope you will do the same nation.

It's Tuesday Buddy. And I coach for AHS we have a game Tuesday at West Mont. From what I hear there will be a lot of people showing. That petition in less than 24hrs has 260 signatures.

Buddy - what specific problems have been caused by merging the county and city schools? Keep in mind Superintendents and other employees with benefits and facilities are not free. You want an entire school board for 4 schools; less than 2,000 students K-12. The state of Ohio gives school districts much more flexibility. A good friend of mine graduated from a HS with approx 30 students in her class. How they were able to keep the school open is the community agree to a significant tax increase to do so. Essentially they paid for the school operation cost at a high cost per student. I don't think that is affordable in Stanly County.

I am originally from ohio and the city actually has a school district tax of 1% typically and typically the city schools are your main schools and has the majority of the county. Look at clinton county ohio. Best example and closest example to stanly county from income to size and amount of schools it is pretty much on point

Originally posted by No.1RamsFan:
There are a lot of counties that have gone in the direction of consolidating into one system in order to save money because they do not have to double spend on central office administration and maintenance personnel. You don't normally see a school closed unless the system is going to a one HS system like Richmond County. If SC went to a two high school system where would they build them and what would be the farthest distances for the kids to have to travel to get to school? If they made AHS a magnet school I could see a lot of recruiting going on for athletic purposes disguised as an academic move. That happens in other states very frequently.
No.1 the state is pushing counties toward one school systems. Easier and more simple to control plus a smaller budget or possibly more funds to spend per child. That is the simplicity but we know things do not always work out that way.

Stanly County is smaller based on land mass than Anson and Richmond by about fifty square miles. Scotland is smaller by about the same. Richmond and Scotland each have right at 36,000 population while Anson is about 26,000.

Stanly will not go to a two school system and build new schools as there is not enough funds. It would actually work because the high schools could become the middle schools and some of the elementary students could move into the newer middle schools. I think West will outgrow their schools over the next five or so years. South needs a replacement for Norwood Elementary. North area has had a few schools built. I think recently there was building because several of the elementary schools were so old.

As nation wrote the plan is for Albemarle to become a non district academic magnet that would not have sports teams. It would not be a Winston Salem Prep.

Originally posted by bulldog nation2014:
I am originally from ohio and the city actually has a school district tax of 1% typically and typically the city schools are your main schools and has the majority of the county. Look at clinton county ohio. Best example and closest example to stanly county from income to size and amount of schools it is pretty much on point
Lowndes County GA. Valdosta is the city school. It is only six miles between the only two high schools with the city school to the northeast area of the city and the county school by the interstate on the southwest side. The city school is the most storied in high school football and was the school to be at for years. The enrollment is down to 1,800 with the demographics changing drastically over the last twenty years and the citizens becoming older on average. Lowndes is over 3,000 students now and continues to grow. I think this is an example we are seeing more of in the south with city and county schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT