ADVERTISEMENT

AHS to become a magnet school?

Originally posted by bulldog nation2014:
Yes the demographics has changed but that is due to mainly the redistricting. Amazingly those areas are the ones that were moved. In no way shape or form should north or west come into albemarle city limits. Especially west. They took the higher income families out of Albemarle when they redistricted. I guess lucky for north and west sucks to be albemarle and south who from what I understand were doing just fine before that. There are kids in South stanly HS backyard going to west stanly.

You want to know who is hurting the school system and these kids it's the ones who have the power that from what I gather don't really know what they are doing other than they love west and north.

Sorry but those are the facts. Look at the school district map and tell me I am wrong. Just the higher income areas of albemarle got moved. Interesting.
Please specify the areas that were once Albemarle districts that now are districted to another school. I am very interested in that.

It is my understanding that the issue is that there has not been any definitive redistricting. The last redistricting moved some students from the North Stanly district to Albemarle. An example is Ridge Street going out past Park Ridge. Lac of redistricting hat has been the complaint for years as large redistricting options were always killed by the West Stanly area school board members. There are now board members that seem to be looking to the future much more than we have seen in the past.

Albemarle was it's own school system until the 1990's. At that time the system's district was the city limits. The city limits have moved further out as the city has annexed land therefore residences that once were located in non incorporated areas attended the county school. Those same houses are now in the Albemarle city limits and the students still attend the same school.

You mention South Stanly's district which once again goes back to the old district lines when the Norwood area boomed with industry and West was a farming community. I am unaware of South losing any district area in the last redistricting.

Redrawing the lines is something that should definitely be researched but with four high schools evenly populated the enrollment is in the 580's. Too many West Stanly students would drive by the high school to travel onto Albemarle. That would not be the correct move.

We just got our gym redone. And what sense does it make to have yet ANOTHER magnet or charter in stanly county? You have the college readiness at SCCC and you have Graystone. Why wouldn't they put the magnet in Locust where there is a growing population? The kids you are talking about that would attend that school typically are not your underprivileged kids.

IMHO AHS like it or not is your city school north and west are not. The additional resources should be allocated to AHS for better facilities and to expand if need be. There is plenty of room to expand on the AHS campus. You don't need to build a new school you can remodel and add to what is there saving $$.

You can add a 1% city school district tax for Albemarle and they would have the resources needed to do well.
The gym had the floor replaced. The gym has never been large enough and is not now. Albemarle and later Stanly County Schools made a major real estate blunder when they did not purchase the land where the senior citizen home and church are now located. That would have allowed for space to enlarge the building if needed and to have athletic facilities and parking.

I supported going to two high schools but remember that the student enrollment will nearly triple at Albemarle if South and North close even with them sending a portion of students to West. If two high schools are evenly enrolled it will have right at 1,200 students. With the western area seeing new construction that will increase. With two high schools it would not work to use the current schools in place. Before the middle schools were built the plan should have been two new high schools with the current four high schools becoming the middle schools. Build two with the plan to eventually have a third which is where we are at today. A prominent citizen thought that was the best way to go and he was ravaged by every area. He was right.

Note that I have questioned the viability of a full magnet student body high school. Put a magnet school in Locust? Many in West Stanly want Ridgecrest to become a magnet school since it was closed. Why would a magnet school be built so far from the other three schools. The citizens pushing for advanced educational opportunities are Albemarle parents. Many would be willing to pull their children from other schools and return them to Albemarle or allow their currently non high school aged students to attend Albemarle under the magnet program.

The school board is now more Albemarle oriented. West and South are not the ones supporting change. They are fine with the status quo.

If Albemarle becomes a magnet school there's going to be some long bus rides for a lot of the kids from Albemarle.

Dogs9 they will go to West or North. My hope would be that they could figure out a strategic bus plan that would pick up all the students in an area and then drive straight to the school with no stops once they leave a centralized area. This is much like a high speed commuter train or bus in larger areas. The difference in the drive time would not be that much more if they do it that way.

Need you to clear something up for me, btango. Do magnet schools have athletics or not? I seem to be reading where some do and some don't.

Dogs9 when what was the student enrollment grades (10-12) of Albemarle in 1973-74? What was the graduating class?

Btango, I'm not sure of the numbers but I have that information at home and I will let you know .

Btango in 1972-1973 there were 171 Seniors, 207 Juniors and 247 Sophomores for a total of 625 students at Albemarle.

I would really like to hear from some of the other posters on the board who have magnet schools in their district or county and what their experiences have been.

Originally posted by Dogs9:

Btango in 1972-1973 there were 171 Seniors, 207 Juniors and 247 Sophomores for a total of 625 students at Albemarle.
As you can see by your numbers the lower classes have the higher enrollment. That is nearing a 900 student four grade Albemarle High School.

Buddy some magnet schools have athletic programs and some do not. Some do not have football and some do not have other sports.

It is rare that you see a smaller county with a magnet only high school. I am not sure of any but there may be one.

WS Prep is a county wide magnet school. They do not have a home district and I do not think it is a magnet that really offers any special programs that the other schools in Forsyth do not offer.

Berry Academy in Charlotte is a countywide full magnet with a full sports program but they school has nearly 1,800 students. Harding University was also a countywide full magnet with a full sports program. The two schools are on the same street half a mile apart. They had different curriculums so they did not overlap very much at all. Harding went back to being a home district school with some districted magnet programs when Waddell was closed and became an elementary school.

Larger counties will have magnet programs at high schools that serve a couple of different high schools. Meck County calls this a magnet zone. Often the magnets are placed at schools that may have lower student enrollments or schools that are low performers. STEM magnets in Meck County are at East Meck, North Meck, Harding, and West Charlotte. Foreign Language Immersion is at West Meck and South Meck. Magnet programs are a small part of those schools which have a home district.

Plan A is to close Albemarle for one year and district all students. The plan is for Albemarle to not have a home school district. If the school is a rigorous academic school you will not have very competitive athletics if they do field teams. If Albemarle closes as per Plan B, South Stanly could become a state power in several sports if they stay at 1A levels.

I have a question you have North Stanly in the middle of knowhere not even being mentioned about closing. But you want to shutdown the main city school? That makes no sense.
From a geographical standpoint. North's district is much larger but less population density. Their district goes past Pfeiffer, to Millingport to the west, and Badin to the east.

I think the thing that people are missing is that the citizens that pushed for change at the high school level are not from West, North, and South Stanly. It was parents of students at Albemarle or people that live in the Albemarle district.

Like Scarlett said in "Gone With The Wind". I can't worry about this anymore today or I'll go crazy. I'll worry about it tomorrow. After all tomorrow is another day. Besides, being the WW2 history buff that I am, I have to get ready to watch "The 70th Anniversity of The Liberation Of Auschwitz" on CNN tonight at 9 with Wolf Blitzer. Would encourage everyone to watch this.
This post was edited on 1/28 6:38 PM by Buddy Rich

The way I feel like is We ( in Stanly County) don't have many High Tech Jobs. We just Educate, send Them to College and away from Our County

One thing many industries look at before coming to an area are the school systems at all levels. They won't open a high tech company without a qualified workforce. It has to start with education.

Typically high tech companies will look at a 30 mile radius around where they are targeting to come in and in most cases high tech companies won't come to small communities they will target more metro areas. The companies we want to target are manufacturing and more industrial type positions. Companies similar to Polaris caterpillar honda etc.

From reading a post on the other site it seems to me like the board is going to have to act quickly on whatever they do. Time seems to be of the essence. They seem to be leaning more towards plan A. However wan't this have to come before a public hearing or not. I don't know. It seems like the public should have some say so in what ever they do, although the final decision will be their's, I still don't see a magnet school working because of the closeness of grey stone and the early college. Also I didn't know that the people of Albemarle want this more than the county people as stated by btango. This surprises me. I know a lot of Albemarle people are now sending their kids to grey stone. If AHS becomes a magnet do you think these same people would move their kids back to Albemarle? Also why would AHS have to be closed for a year? What has to be done to make it a magnet school? Lots and lots of questions and not much time to find answers. As upset as I am this board has some really tough questions to answer. I wish them well because what ever they decide will have long term implications. Good Luck. It will be very interesting to see how things unfold.

Re: AHS to become a magnet school?
exsshs posted on 1/28/2015...
One thing many industries look at before coming to an area are the school systems at all levels. They won't open a high tech company without a qualified workforce. It has to start with education.

Re: AHS to become a magnet school?
bulldog nation2014 posted on 1/29/2015...
Typically high tech companies will look at a 30 mile radius around where they are targeting to come in and in most cases high tech companies won't come to small communities they will target more metro areas. The companies we want to target are manufacturing and more industrial type positions. Companies similar to Polaris caterpillar honda etc.

These are both true. If a High Tech company is going to invest "Millions" of dollars in infrastructure, the recruiting pool must be substantial and qualified. Stanly County can't offer that in any shape form or fashion and it will take years to see the fruits of labor from this proposed Magnet School. On top of that, what company will they be trying to "Champion" to come to Albemarle? Google...

I am a qualified "High Tech"; IT professional is the proper term, individual who makes a pretty good living. I drive 100 miles a day to get to and from my job. Example, if I was to work for the City of Albemarle for what I do, they would have to pay me a minimum of 75K. Not to many people that reside in Stanly County has the type of experience or qualification. If they are trying to get more students prepared with a changing society, a STEM school is defiantly the direction to go, but this will not and I mean "Not" fix the numbers issues.

Also, we are falling to realized that "Teacher Retention" is also an issue in Albemarle. I hope they have the money to pay a STEM teacher. Most of these individuals will have a high degree in Math, Science, Technology etc who will require salary that of a University Professor.....100K +

@ btanjo "The school board is now more Albemarle oriented. West and South are not the ones supporting change. They are fine with the status quo." This may be true but the majority of "People" in Albemarle are not supporting this at all. The school board and city council has turned into a "Dictatorship" honestly. You can see the lack of education and experience in the school board and city council and it all starts at the "TOP". They are not even qualifed to run a city let alone make educational decisions! lol.

But! there is a petition that all my Albemarle lovers can sign to stop this madness:

Link: https://www.change.org/p/stanly-count-school-board-keep-albemarle-high-school-open?recruiter=74619442&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_facebook_responsive&utm_term=des-sm-no_src-custom_msg&utm_content=ci_fb_share_title_text%3Acontrol&fb_ref=Default

I have signed and have sent it out to all I know. Albemarle is a blue color town and there is nothing wrong with that. I agree with you sway I am involved with the school and I have heard not 1 person happy about this.

Buddy, remember I posted here several months ago a question asking if Stanly County Schools would consolidate? This was before the school board was elected and before Albemarle district parents started having "grass roots" meetings and questioning the school board in place at that time and the administration.

During the 2013 football season I spoke to a person that was doing some research regarding Stanly County. He was affiliated with the Department of Public Instruction which is what oversees and regulates all public schools in NC. Basically, it appeared to fix the problems. My guess is test scores as that seems to be the driving force with the government (which I disagree with) and fiscal responsibility. Not sure if diversity was an issue but it can often be used as a catalyst. The planning for this severe of a change has to have been in the research stages for a considerable amount of time. The board may just have been presented with it recently but some type of administrative oversight department has been working on this for a period of time it would appear. When a school system/board does not fix the problems DPI gets involved so they could be working under an ultimatum. I have no idea.

sway it was the Albemarle citizens holding the meetings regarding education back in August and looking for changes. I am not sure they were wanting anything this severe and as I wrote above I actually think the move to make changes had started long before this. Those parents may be in a minority but their complaints were limited course offerings, teacher turnover, and increased number of students seeking alternative options among other items.

Does anyone really think that West Stanly or South Stanly would want Albemarle High School students. People in the South district are concerned which areas would be assigned to them and West Stanly does not want any additional students at all. When I write the school name I am referring to the people that live in those areas not the school admin.

btango, I don't understand you last comment on "Does West Stanly or (I believe you meant North Stanly) want Albemarle Students". I could be thinking left field, but I think that's an inappropriate question to ask with all the issues that Albemarle has had this past year. Like I said, I could be reading into it wrong....but I don't think I am
happy.r191677.gif

And if the parents were "Champion" change; which I fully agree should have happened, then they should have had enough "Common Sense" of the options available to fix the issues which are: "SAT's, EOG's, Grades, and graduation rates".

The "No Child Left Behind" Act has been in play since the Bush era. Parents should know the consequence of low preforming schools. Ask some Atlanta natives. Again, we can go back on the "Lack of Education" not only on the students part, but the parents as well.

At the end of each school year, the school itself sends out a report card, stating whether they are above or below average compared to the mark set by the Government. And based on what they sent my child home, I knew this was coming. And because "I" have common sense I have been planning on taking my kids out of Stanly County totally and seek better educational options. Hell, home school has even ran past my mind. A STEM school would only cater to the bright spots in the student body leaving out a good 90% of students left blowing dust... Not only that, the student to teacher ratio would be RIDICULOUS! at North and West. You'd think those idiots uptown would know this.....but they don't care.

One last thing. I don't believe in the Presidential voting system...never have and never will. But on this level, this is the reason you get out and Vote!

#CarryOn

This post was edited on 1/29 2:11 PM by sway1532

This post was edited on 1/29 12:13 PM by sway1532

I agree sway. I would like to add it's not like North Stanly or South stanly are schools of excellence here. A matter of fact north stanly's scores are not much better than Albemarles from what I can see. You have bad apples in every school but by in large part Albemarle has a bunch of good kids. Most are not well off. Funny how you said that about not wanting albemarle kids because the other night a NS coach was wondering which kids off the bball teams from Albemarle he would get.

I would also like to say that I think it is odd that the school with the most diversity is the one getting shit down immediately.

Funny stuff though they don't want albemarle kids but they sure as hell will take the athletes. Smh. A lot of people need to be ashamed.

I agree sway. I would like to add it's not like North Stanly or South stanly are schools of excellence here. A matter of fact north stanly's scores are not much better than Albemarles from what I can see. You have bad apples in every school but by in large part Albemarle has a bunch of good kids. Most are not well off. Funny how you said that about not wanting albemarle kids because the other night a NS coach was wondering which kids off the bball teams from Albemarle he would get.

I would also like to say that I think it is odd that the school with the most diversity is the one getting shit down immediately.

Funny stuff though they don't want albemarle kids but they sure as hell will take the athletes. Smh. A lot of people need to be ashamed.
Note that I wrote this was not the administration that I had heard this from. Talking about regular citizens and I do not agree with them. Geography will be very important in this process.

I have written that if Albemarle closes and South Stanly can maintain 1A numbers they become a state powerhouse in football, basketball, and track day one. They have been pretty strong in baseball and this may help them even more.

Originally posted by sway1532:
btango, I don't understand you last comment on "Does West Stanly or (I believe you meant North Stanly) want Albemarle Students". I could be thinking left field, but I think that's an inappropriate question to ask with all the issues that Albemarle has had this past year. Like I said, I could be reading into it wrong....but I don't think I am
happy.r191677.gif

And if the parents were "Champion" change; which I fully agree should have happened, then they should have had enough "Common Sense" of the options available to fix the issues which are: "SAT's, EOG's, Grades, and graduation rates".

The "No Child Left Behind" Act has been in play since the Bush era. Parents should know the consequence of low preforming schools. Ask some Atlanta natives. Again, we can go back on the "Lack of Education" not only on the students part, but the parents as well.

At the end of each school year, the school itself sends out a report card, stating whether they are above or below average compared to the mark set by the Government. And based on what they sent my child home, I knew this was coming. And because "I" have common sense I have been planning on taking my kids out of Stanly County totally and seek better educational options. Hell, home school has even ran past my mind. A STEM school would only cater to the bright spots in the student body leaving out a good 90% of students left blowing dust... Not only that, the student to teacher ratio would be RIDICULOUS! at North and West. You'd think those idiots uptown would know this.....but they don't care.

One last thing. I don't believe in the Presidential voting system...never have and never will. But on this level, this is the reason you get out and Vote!

#CarryOn

This post was edited on 1/29 2:11 PM by sway1532

This post was edited on 1/29 12:13 PM by sway1532
No, I meant West Stanly. They do not want any students from outside their current district. West Stanly is the most anti-Albemarle section of the county based on older sentiments and they are more insular than the other areas. Look back at their representation on the school board and you can see it. They fought the middle school concept wanting to remain K-8 tooth and nail for years.

As I expected, you are thinking right on target. Albemarle has a bad reputation with a lot of people and the issues with the football program and shooting are just gas for the fire to them. Right or wrong that is the perception. I am not sure those items are a reflection of the school or community overall at all.

I do not think any of the schools in Stanly County are models of academic excellence by any means. Albemarle has had its problems and as was written bad apples are everywhere. There are great young people at all schools and anyone who does thinks there are not super kids at Albemarle is way off.

sway you will find problems with schools anywhere you go, some are just have different or more severe problems. If you are making a move I hope it works out as perfect as possible for you. I know you would like to live closer to work to cut down on the expense and allow more time with your family.

I want people to see what is out there and I want factual information to be put forth. I am very intrigued by this whole process and think it will be roller coaster. I ask myself this, at the end of the day, if it were definitively proven what is best to do, would the school board not make the move due to the opinions of the loudest voices.

OK btango answer me this. Where in god's name are they going to find an enrollment of 540 at the magnet school when grey stone and the early college are near by. Somebody tell me! please!!!! Also where are they going to find the money for teachers to teach these high tech courses!!!!!!. It seems to me there are way more questions than answers to this new agenda!!!!!

Buddy I agree. It seems to me it's more a hey let's throw a bunch of crap against the wall and see what sticks philosophy. They will just work the details out later. I mean really why close AHS now and leave SS for a year? This seems a rushed thing to make sure it gets done while they have the numbers on the board to support it type deal. I believe there are other options available and a better route to take. Never have I seen a city school the size of Albemarle get closed in favor of a country school such as west and north. Ass backwards if you ask me.

I think it's time we put the people on the school board under a mirscrope and see who and what they really stand for. I only know one member, Lonnie Chandler and I have been told he is a straight shooter. As I don't know the other members I will find out who they are and hold them accountable. If I remember correctly someone ram roded the merge on us before we knew what was happening. I think this another example of the same thing. They plan to stick it to us before we know what is happening. I am sick and tired of things being shoved down my throat. It's past time that the people stood up and took their rights back. Amen.

Buddy from what I been told there is only one board member that is not for shutting down the school all others are in favor of it. I believe this is why the big push is on so they can get it done before another election. That's just my opinion though.

I hope he stands his grounds. As for the rest they can kiss there time on the board, GOODBYE!!!!!!!!

Buddy I agree. It seems to me it's more a hey let's throw a bunch of crap against the wall and see what sticks philosophy. They will just work the details out later. I mean really why close AHS now and leave SS for a year? This seems a rushed thing to make sure it gets done while they have the numbers on the board to support it type deal. I believe there are other options available and a better route to take. Never have I seen a city school the size of Albemarle get closed in favor of a country school such as west and north. Ass backwards if you ask me.
Under Plan "A" South and Albemarle would close the same year. Albemarle would reopen the following year as a full magnet.

When you look at closing a school in Stanly County from a geographic and travel perspective Albemarle is the one that makes by far the most sense.

How many high schools have you seen closed? The only one that I remember in years would be Waddell in Charlotte.

There has been consolidation with the nearest to Albemarle being Richmond County in 1972 or 1973. Rockingham and Hamlet were bitter rivals way beyond anything we see in Stanly County. They combined along with Rohanen and Ellerbee. Note Richmond County is almost the exact same size based on land mass but has about 15,000 fewer residents. Strangely our four schools would have less than 100 more students than they have.

Actually I have seen and have family members and friends who teach in multiple states. I am not talking county population I am speaking in regards to the city of albemarle population. I personally have never seen even a town the size of albemarle without a main city school.

IMHO the only school that makes sense to close is North Stanly. There is no community really around it. Albemarle you have the city of Albemarle, businesses etc in addition you do have the underprivileged kids in very low income areas. And by keeping west and north only you would be essentially those low income kids of not only albemarle but Norwood of opportunities. Like it or not that's a major part of these kids and their ability to goto college. It gives them a motivation to do the right things in school and keeping them there going to school.
This post was edited on 1/29 7:01 PM by bulldog nation2014

Originally posted by Buddy Rich:

OK btango answer me this. Where in god's name are they going to find an enrollment of 540 at the magnet school when grey stone and the early college are near by. Somebody tell me! please!!!! Also where are they going to find the money for teachers to teach these high tech courses!!!!!!. It seems to me there are way more questions than answers to this new agenda!!!!!
That was the first question for me.

My personal opinion if Albemarle becomes a full magnet with no home district students they will struggle to get to that. I would expect the first year, which is the second year after they close, there would be no senior class. The junior class would be fairly small with the lower two having more students which is normal. I think they would see growth as the new freshmen classes come in and after the first group to spend all four years there I think they could approach that type of number. A lot of people will go to Albemarle over Greystone, SCC Early College, or private schools.

In 1972-73 Albemarle's enrollment approached 900 students (9-12 with freshman at Junior High). This year it is 470. If the enrollments at Albemarle and South continue to drop there will may not be a choice at all. It is not districting as Albemarle's district has not shrunk geographically.

I expect most questions that you have others will also. I would write them down and get answers. Have you looked at the school system website. There will be info there and in the paper.

Bottom line, there are issues in Stanly County that are more far reaching than education but that is a major problem. When doctors tell the hospital they turned down their better paying offer due to the educational system in the county or they are going to live in another county and commute that is an issue. When a company moves to Stanly County that is going to always be one of the first things they look at.

Something needs to be done but I do not know what the answer is. The majority of the voting citizens voted these people in office but as I wrote before there is no way that this just started in the last sixty days. The board may be the messenger.

http://www.stanlycountyschools.org/home/reinvest

In regards to the fewer students that doesn't surprise me with Graystone and SCCC. If you got rid of those two schools you would have more in the public HS. In regards to travel and geographical perspective Albemarle is close to being right in the middle of the county. What's the difference for a albemarle kid going 20min to west stanly and a north stanly kid going 20min to albemarle and that would be on the very far side.

Sorry I believe this has more to do with the demographics of albemarle than anything. Don't want to mess with the money despite hurting kids.

Actually I have seen and have family members and friends who teach in multiple states. I am not talking county population I am speaking in regards to the city of albemarle population. I personally have never seen even a town the size of albemarle without a main city school.

IMHO the only school that makes sense to close is North Stanly. There is no community really around it. Albemarle you have the city of Albemarle, businesses etc in addition you do have the underprivileged kids in very low income areas. And by keeping west and north only you would be essentially those low income kids of not only albemarle but Norwood of opportunities. Like it or not that's a major part of these kids and their ability to goto college. It gives them a motivation to do the right things in school and keeping them there going to school.
This post was edited on 1/29 7:01 PM by bulldog nation2014
Note that I did not write anything about population, I referenced geography. Albemarle's student population is in a more centralized area and is easier to disperse out than a school as remote as the three county schools. That is the geographical stance.

Your last two sentences are two of the major issues cited. Students are not going to college and many of the ones that are have found out they are not as prepared as they should be. If my conversation with a D2 assistant coach is correct this will become more relevant. I hope he is wrong!

In regards to the fewer students that doesn't surprise me with Graystone and SCCC. If you got rid of those two schools you would have more in the public HS. In regards to travel and geographical perspective Albemarle is close to being right in the middle of the county. What's the difference for a albemarle kid going 20min to west stanly and a north stanly kid going 20min to albemarle and that would be on the very far side.

Sorry I believe this has more to do with the demographics of albemarle than anything. Don't want to mess with the money despite hurting kids.
I think demographics is a big part in any school scenario regardless of location.

An Albemarle student would be in the middle of South, West, and North. A North student on the far northern area of their boundary is going to have a much longer commute.

I personally do not want Albemarle to close nor become a full magnet but I also look at this without any allegiance.

Btango, by being a messenger are you saying that this is being mandated from Raleigh. That could be and the school board has no say so in the matter. Hope I am wrong but it sounds like a done deal to me. Just like the merger. It saddens me to no end to see this come about. All I can say is we will all reap what has been sown by this school board. Hope they can all sleep good at night knowing what they have done. Sad part is they probably will.

Curious question here and totally hypothetical.

Money is not an issue.

The current high schools would be utilized.

Two new state of the art / modern high schools would be built

Enrollments of 1,200 each.

There would not be a third magnet school as there would not be the need with the size of the student body at each school.

The current school names would not be used.

The schools would be located between in geographical central locations with South and West being one and North and East being one.

Students that currently attend a school may not go where the majority of their classmates go due to the districting.

If this were possible would you be for it? If not, why not?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT