ADVERTISEMENT

AC Reynolds should be a 3 seed not wild card

Should of just kept the pod system. They playoffs should be about seeing new teams.

I just looked at it and yes Reynolds should be a higher seed. South Iredell should not be seeded above Reynolds. Reynolds is a 3 seed from the MAC and South Iredell is an at large from the NPC. This had to be purposefully done, because its not hard to figure out. The State wants 30% of that gate between Erwin and ACR, simple as that.

This sets a bad standard and shows either complete stupidity or blatant disregard for the sake of money. I don't care that Erwin and ACR have to meet in the first round if thats the way the seeding process plays out, but I can't see that it does.

Both teams are from split conference. 1 and 2 seed are seeded from split conference. There is no 3 seed only wild cards.

There is a new rule in the nchsaa that states 3rd overall will be seeded as such. Split conference doesn't matter.

Here it is cut and pasted from the NCHSAA Handbook. In the NPC Overall the standings are:

Lake Norman 4A
Mooresville 4A
Statesville 3A
South Iredell 3A

MAC Standings:

Asheville 3A
Erwin 3A
Reynolds 3A

A team in a split conference that finishes second or third in the overall conference standings will be seeded as a number two or number three. (Revised: May 2014)

(4) Seed all #2s by 10-game winning percentage. (Revised: May 2014) (5) Seed all #3s by 10-game winning percentage. (Revised: May 2014) (6) Seed all other qualifying teams (those with four or more wins) based

only on their 10 game winning percentage, regardless of conference

finish. (Revised: May 2014)

I want an explanation as to why this happened, because this is a blatant miscue that was caught well before finalization of brackets.

Doubt we will ever get one though.

Originally posted by MACFan1:

Here it is cut and pasted from the NCHSAA Handbook. In the NPC Overall the standings are:

Lake Norman 4A
Mooresville 4A
Statesville 3A
South Iredell 3A

MAC Standings:

Asheville 3A
Erwin 3A
Reynolds 3A

A team in a split conference that finishes second or third in the overall conference standings will be seeded as a number two or number three. (Revised: May 2014)

(4) Seed all #2s by 10-game winning percentage. (Revised: May 2014) (5) Seed all #3s by 10-game winning percentage. (Revised: May 2014) (6) Seed all other qualifying teams (those with four or more wins) based

only on their 10 game winning percentage, regardless of conference

finish. (Revised: May 2014)
Guys not trying to be devils advocate but..... I think they have it right based on the info I have seen. SI is the 2 seed in 3a for the NPC, Reynolds is the 3 seed out of the MAC. Even if SI was the 3 seed in the NPC they both have the same record and it would be a coin flip between the two teams, Again this is based off of the info I have seen. At first I thought they screwed the pooch as well but after researching, I think they have it correct

To add to the confusion... North Iredell finished 3rd in 3a in their conference with a final record of 6-5 and I don't see where they made the playoffs??

Originally posted by GATA 88:
To add to the confusion... North Iredell finished 3rd in 3a in their conference with a final record of 6-5 and I don't see where they made the playoffs??
I am pretty sure split gets the first 2 automatic. 6-5 would make them 5-5, so, what was there conference percentage? because that would determine why a SWR got in over them?

You guys are taking the rule out of context as it only applies to automatic qualifiers. AC Reynolds is in a split conference. By rule the only automatic qualifiers are the top 2 in each classification.The seeding rule referenced only applies to the second automatic qualifier in a split conference.

Since AC Reynolds was the 3rd 3A team, they are a wild card and are seeded by 10-game won-loss percentage among other wild card teams.

Guys not trying to be devils advocate but..... I think they have it right based on the info I have seen. SI is the 2 seed in 3a for the NPC, Reynolds is the 3 seed out of the MAC. Even if SI was the 3 seed in the NPC they both have the same record and it would be a coin flip between the two teams, Again this is based off of the info I have seen. At first I thought they screwed the pooch as well but after researching, I think they have it correct

No only the top 3 overall get seeded that way. South Iredell finished 4th overall in their conference which puts them as an at large. Acr finished 3rd overall.

Playoff seeding works as follows by the rule book

1. First over all orin division seeded with 1's
2. Second overall seeded with 2's
3. 3rd overall seeded with 3's
4. 4th or lower seeded as At large

Originally posted by ehswarriors02:

Acr finished 3rd overall.

Playoff seeding works as follows by the rule book

1. First over all orin division seeded with 1's
2. Second overall seeded with 2's
3. 3rd overall seeded with 3's
4. 4th or lower seeded as At large

The rule above does not apply to AC Reynold's situation because they are in a split conference where only the top 2 in each division automatically qualify for the play-offs. Since ACR finished 3rd among 3A teams they are considered a wild card.

The new rule that Simmons references would only apply if Erwin had been the 2nd place 3A qualifier, but finished 3rd or lower in the overall conference standings... hence McDowell being the #2 4A team but 16 seed.

Here is the part of the rule you are not seeing, it is just above they section you have quoted.

Playoff Berths/Qualification:
A team must finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the conference to qualify. In a split conference a team must finish 1st or 2nd in their division,

Originally posted by dtfix:
You guys are taking the rule out of context as it only applies to automatic qualifiers. AC Reynolds is in a split conference. By rule the only automatic qualifiers are the top 2 in each classification.The seeding rule referenced only applies to the second automatic qualifier in a split conference.

Since AC Reynolds was the 3rd 3A team, they are a wild card and are seeded by 10-game won-loss percentage among other wild card teams.
I now see what you are saying. When they did that revision in May the way it is written somewhat contradicts what is stated earlier about split conferences.

Originally posted by 1whoknows:

Originally posted by GATA 88:
I am pretty sure split gets the first 2 automatic. 6-5 would make them 5-5, so, what was there conference percentage? because that would determine why a SWR got in over them?
They were 2-5, and SWR was 2-4 which is a better percentage... tough break.

Macfan1,

Yes... It is confusing. Clear & concise rules and guidelines aren't exactly a strength of the association. Just try to figure out the 8-quarter rule.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Fair enough that's a valid explanation.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's kick some rocket tail.

Right or wrong here is my personal opinion, split conferences and non split should be seeded the same. If they are going to seed the 3's in a non split they should do the same for the split. ACR and others are being punished for being in a split by having to take a wild card seed as opposed to a 3 seed. We didn't choose to be in a split we were forced to be. They just need to treat all conferences the same! No matter split or not finishing 3rd overall is still 3rd overall!

This post was edited on 11/9 11:09 AM by reynoldsrocks

I agree 100% reynoldsrocks. I am currently working on a plan for some people that would finally eliminate all split conferences. The way it is now, is just comparing apples to oranges.

Originally posted by owendynasty:
I agree 100% reynoldsrocks. I am currently working on a plan for some people that would finally eliminate all split conferences. The way it is now, is just comparing apples to oranges.
I hope someone can present the NCHSAA with something to eliminate split conferences... A system that has 5-5 teams as 1 seeds and 2-8 team keeping other 5-5 teams out of the playoffs is not a good system.

There are no 3 seeds in split conferences. Only 1 and 2 seeds after that you are a wild Card

I understand what is being said however when the NCHSAA puts this statement in their book and online for all the world to see it makes you think differently. This is under is SEEDING section of he book, not the QUALIFYING section they are two totally different sections.

"A team in a split conference that finishes second or third in the overall conference standings will be SEEDED as a number two or number three. (Revised: May 2014)"

That is THE NCHSAA rules as they write it. With it being in the SEEDING section you would think that is exactly what they meant, but seems they write one thing but mean another, as long as it fits what they want. So if there is no 3 seeds in a split conference why even write this statement?

This post was edited on 11/9 3:27 PM by reynoldsrocks

Originally posted by reynoldsrocks:
I understand what is being said however when the NCHSAA puts this statement in their book and online for all the world to see it makes you think differently. This is under is SEEDING section of he book, not the QUALIFYING section they are two totally different sections.

"A team in a split conference that finishes second or third in the overall conference standings will be SEEDED as a number two or number three. (Revised: May 2014)"

That is THE NCHSAA rules as they write it. With it being in the SEEDING section you would think that is exactly what they meant, but seems they write one thing but mean another, as long as it fits what they want. So if there is no 3 seeds in a split conference why even write this statement?

Yep, exactly the way I interpreted it as well. And from what I heard, could be a rumor, this was brought to their attention from the two schools involved with this matchup before the finalized brackets came out.

Originally posted by reynoldsrocks:

Exactly.
ohwell.r191677.gif

How does Marvin Ridge get seeded above South Iredell when they finished 3rd in their conference with only 3 wins? Obviously SI was seeded as a wild card the same as ACR.

Thats the one I wondering about all along, how Marvin Ridge seeded higher than South makes zero sense.

South Iredell should had been seeded with 2 seeds, they finished 2nd in the 3a portion on the NPC

The fact that tc Roberson has to beat one notoriously bad team to be declared "4a conference champions" is an embarrassment to competitive sports.

Originally posted by Champ_24:
South Iredell should had been seeded with 2 seeds, they finished 2nd in the 3a portion on the NPC
Seeding doesn't work that way in a split conference. The top team in each division gets a #1 seed. The 2nd place team in each division gets an automatic bid, but is seeded according the overall conference finish. If they are 2nd in the overall conf standings, they are seeded as a #2, 3rd as a #3. anything lower and they are seeded as a wild card. S. Irredell finished 4th in the overall standings, so they are seeded as a wild card.

On my website, I did a bracket (called the proposed bracket) where splits are seeded like any other conference and I only allow the top team in each division to qualify automatically. Its crazy that TCR and Hunter Huss get #1 seeds. Also the fact that McDowell could go 0-11 and would still make the playoffs.

Also avoided all conference re-matches that I could in the first round.

Another thing that drives me crazy - seeding 10-1 teams over 11-0 when both report as 10-0. Should never happen.

Simmons Ratings

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT