ADVERTISEMENT

AC Reynolds moving to 3A

Reynoldsrocks2

Sep 18, 2015
ACR was notified today that starting next year they will be moving to 3A. Based on their numbers, being the smallest school in 4A and they won’t have to change conferences because we were in a split 3A/4A this past two seasons. I’m sure people will hate this but it really is beneficial to our minor sports and their ability to compete on a more level playing field.

Oh wow this some interesting news. ACR will be a handful for the 3A. Any word for Asheville high. Did they request to move down as well. I wasn’t sure about their numbers.

Reactions: notanyonesfan
Should give WNC a better chance of winning state 3A.I would figure Asheville would like this .gives them a better chance at winning the 4A conference.

No team should be playing a team with twice as many students come playoffs.
We could hypothetically play a school in the playoffs with 400 more boys than we have total students. And if Reynolds is in 3A then damn it we need to be too.

No team should be playing a team with twice as many students come playoffs.
What about 3x their size?
Andrews 210 vs Draughn 650.
Robbinsville 370 Eastern Randolph 670.
That's not even mentioning that the Charters and open enrollment schools get to draw from a population of 100,000+. Those schools have taken over almost all sports except football .
Robbinsville draws from a population of 8,000.
The real issue is in 1a.

Reactions: CougarsOfAHS
4a and 1a are where the big problems are. asheville has 100 more students than acr, i guess that's why they were denied.

Last edited:
Reactions: notanyonesfan
What about 3x their size?
Andrews 210 vs Draughn 650.
Robbinsville 370 Eastern Randolph 670.
That's not even mentioning that the Charters and open enrollment schools get to draw from a population of 100,000+. Those schools have taken over almost all sports except football .
Robbinsville draws from a population of 8,000.
The real issue is in 1a.
It's a problem everywhere, the gaps are too large. Need more than 4 classifications to even it out.

I still don't see how this is fair:
4A Alexander Central Alexander Alexander WEST 1432
4A Watauga Watauga Watauga WEST 1462
4A South Caldwell Caldwell Caldwell WEST 1630
3A Freedom Burke Burke WEST 1275
3A Ashe County Ashe Ashe WEST 907
3A Hibriten Caldwell Caldwell WEST 1001

Now look at these schools:

2A North Forsyth Forsyth Forsyth WEST 1004
2A St. Pauls Robeson Robeson EAST 1002
2A Huss Gaston Gaston WEST 1040
2A Nash Central Nash Nash EAST 992
2A Cummings Alamance Alamance EAST 1008
2A Monroe Union Union WEST 1006

I get ya, this past year there were 36 schools in 3A that had more students than ACR who was in 4A. The system is broken!

Reactions: BK13T-$

Listen stop complaining and get your superintendent to be the president of the NCHSSA board of directors like they did. Then you can rig the system for your school fair and square.

• Haha
Reactions: Rocket Pride

Huss is 3A they petitioned to play up.

I’m hearing Harding is moving down to 3A. And also looking looking for new head coach. Anyone know of this news.

Reactions: cimsies
I’m hearing Harding is moving down to 3A. And also looking looking for new head coach. Anyone know of this news.
I guess Harding’s rationale is that they have a better chance of qualifying for 3A by competing with WC and WM, but they also joined a gauntlet of a league. As far as the HC vacancy, that’s true.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Huss is 3A they petitioned to play up.
That was showing our (Hibriten's) conference as compared to the schools classified as 2A during the last classification. Good on Huss, if that's what they wanted, but Ashe and Hibriten are both 2A schools put in a 3A/4A split conference.

That was showing our (Hibriten's) conference as compared to the schools classified as 2A during the last classification. Good on Huss, if that's what they wanted, but Ashe and Hibriten are both 2A schools put in a 3A/4A split conference.
I think they did it mostly to stay in a conference with other Gaston county schools. I wish we were in the CVAC.

In the MPC 3A, Ledford (833) and Central Davidson (894) have numbers in the 800s by the 2022 ADM. A few of the larger 3A schools are almost doubled their size.
But as we know the last realignment didn’t just take into account daily average attendance.
I agree that the biggest issue is in 1A.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
So I’ll jump in then n ask this

If 1A is biggest issue then Should schools that have low # and struggle with football get moved to play 8man league? In AZ most 1A schools play 8man football so would this lessen the issue of we play teams with bigger #s ? Just curious

I don't like that idea.

Maybe 1a should be looked at differently than the others.
1a should be 450 round about. No reason to play schools with 2x and 3x the enrollment.

Enrollment alone isn't going work for long.
I think every kid from outside your district should be multiplied by whatever number seems best.
That doesn't fix the overlapping district loophole.
Class by population+enrollment+ multiplier for out of district kids.

Enrollment 70%
Population 30%
Then factor in out of district kids X-20 each.

Last edited:
NCHSAA said no more than 64 in each division so 5 wouldn't work.

Five would be ok if 1a and 4a was smaller than the rest but they are being pushed to split evenly.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
Five would be ok if 1a and 4a was smaller than the rest but they are being pushed to split evenly.
I just personally feel that 7 classes would make NC a total mess. Everyone complained about split conferences and I bet u there would be more split conferences in 7 Classifications.
I dont think the Region model of conferences would work here in NC. Everyone compliants travel or about 1hr-2hr drives to games but in Region play you would have longer travel now here in NC it wouldnt be as long as AZ but even if 2 hours to a game then its prob like 4-5 hours total n on Tuesday night that adds up and such so lets do a example say: Mooresville had to go to Grimsley because they are in the region and thats like 1hr 30 ish trip n you on bus that prob 2hrs or so then add traffic in that too on a friday so u prob gotta leave at 4:30 get there by 6 - then after the game say it ends at 9 - you prob wont get back until 11-12 n then go right back at school (in az some are like 5-6 hrs n they get home until 1-2 am in morning at times) so My issues are valid and I think it would just cause a mess imo

If someone can prove to me that 7 classes would work and wouldnt be as bad as i think then they are more then welcome to show me

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT