ADVERTISEMENT

A suggestion for NCHSAA

recycled2

Feb 15, 2012
Here is a suggested playoff system. I know it is not perfect, feel free to offer opinions.

All conference champions will be automatic qualifiers. They will be seeded first provided they have a winning record. If they do not they will be seeded as an at large team.

If the conference tournament champion is not the regular season champion they will be an automatic qualifier. They will be seeded with the at large teams.

To determine the at large teams the following process will be used. All teams that did not win the regular season conference title will be listed according to winning percentage and ranked. Equal percentages will receive the same rank. This rank will be multiplied by 2 and added to their maxpreps ranking. This will produce a “rating” for each team. The lowest total will be the highest seed in the playoffs. If 2 teams have the same rating a drawing will determine the higher seed.

I hope I have managed to explain this so it makes sense.

This places importance on winning and allows maxpreps strength of schedule to have some influence.

Reactions: Girls -BBall Fan
Here is a suggested playoff system. I know it is not perfect, feel free to offer opinions.

All conference champions will be automatic qualifiers. They will be seeded first provided they have a winning record. If they do not they will be seeded as an at large team.

If the conference tournament champion is not the regular season champion they will be an automatic qualifier. They will be seeded with the at large teams.

To determine the at large teams the following process will be used. All teams that did not win the regular season conference title will be listed according to winning percentage and ranked. Equal percentages will receive the same rank. This rank will be multiplied by 2 and added to their maxpreps ranking. This will produce a “rating” for each team. The lowest total will be the highest seed in the playoffs. If 2 teams have the same rating a drawing will determine the higher seed.

I hope I have managed to explain this so it makes sense.

This places importance on winning and allows maxpreps strength of schedule to have some influence.
Certainly would be better than current

I like that, and I'll add to it.

I'd like to see a selection process for teams like college basketball has. Winning percentage, strength of schedule (did you challenge yourself in non-conference play?), how you finished the year (take a team on a winning streak, rather than a losing streak), make the conference tournament have value, besides winning it (A lot of the 3-4 4-5 match-ups were only separated by 1 loss in the regular season)
I think you could take a sample of media from all over the state and let them do the selection. They already have mock brackets as the season goes on. The local media is so much more in tune with what is going on than the state.

Yeah take conferences out of it . If you went purely off max preps then nobody would be upset . Just make if you win your conf you automatically get in but are seeded by maxpreps like college does

Last edited:
Reactions: Sportsnut17
Sent Joe Poletti an email this weekend. Recieved a phone call from him this afternoon. After a 25 minute conversation, I can honestly say i dont foresee things changing anytime soon. He says he hasnt recieved any negative feedback from this years seeding. I suggest everyone drop him an email also.

Sent Joe Poletti an email this weekend. Recieved a phone call from him this afternoon. After a 25 minute conversation, I can honestly say i dont foresee things changing anytime soon. He says he hasnt recieved any negative feedback from this years seeding. I suggest everyone drop him an email also.

He hasn't received any negative feedback concerning this years seeding ? Perhaps his telephone was nonchalantly placed off the hook , or maybe the Seeding Committee members were attending their tri daily soiree at the local Krispy Kreme.

Could you post his email up here?

Go back to predetermined sites and seeds.

Example:

#1 in X conference plays #4 in Y conference and so on an so forth.

64 for all sports except baseball.

Baseball should be 32 for all classes with every round best of 3 series.

Go back to predetermined sites and seeds.

Example:

#1 in X conference plays #4 in Y conference and so on an so forth.

64 for all sports except baseball.

Baseball should be 32 for all classes with every round best of 3 series.

This!! teams that have 1 stud pitcher advance too easily in current playoff system

This!! teams that have 1 stud pitcher advance too easily in current playoff system
If you had said two stud pitchers I would have totally agreed. However with pitch count restrictions that are currently in place I do not think this is true anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT