ADVERTISEMENT

A few preseason darkhorses in 3A

Chris_Hughes

Staff
Feb 13, 2004
Who are a few teams that may be a bit off your radar that you should take note of before the start of the season? These are mine.

1. Jacksonville: These guys will be in the mix in the 3A East. Mark it down today, they can compete with Havelock, New Bern, and Rose. They'll have to find some consistency, but they have the talent and a very good quarterback.

2. Oak Grove: The Grizzlies can come up from 3A and win immediatley. The numbers are high, the coaching staff is very strong, and they will battle with North Davidson for the conference title.

3. East Lincoln: The defense has some studs, and the receiving corps may be as strong as any in the state. Pair that with a game-changer quarterback and that spells trouble for a lot of programs.

4. West Charlotte: This is a program coming and coming in a hurry. They are in a brutal 3A/4A split conference, but if they don't get bruised up from battling with Hough/Chambers/Mallard Creek, they'll be tough to tame in the 3A playoffs.

5. Northern Nash: The Knights have been on the fringe of doing some great things the past few years and look to be ready to take the next step. This could be the year they leave Rocky Mount and Southern Nash in the rearview mirror.

6. Fike: Coach Tom Nelson's group of Golden Demons will be sneaky good. Demari Daniels is a great quarterback who can carry the team on his shoulders.

7. North Brunswick: The Scorpions will be ready to sting the competition, I think this could be a team that causes some troubles in the postseason.

8. Ledford: They have a new coach (sort of), but they still have a very experienced coaching staff, a strong group of players, and a very special quarterback.

9. Walter Williams: This is a very talented team with a new staff, and I think they can get over the hump and back into the top third of 3A teams.

10. Concord: The Spiders could have a breakout year, I don't know if they'll win the SPC this year or not, but this will be a turnaround kind of year for the program.

11. Parkwood: Another team that should have the best year in recent memory, this team is well-coached, but better yet, full of speed and talent.

12. Franklin: Up from 2A, the Panthers are looking good this preseason, I think they'll be a fun group to watch, and the Pit is one of the best places in NC to see a game, period.

13. High Point Central: Year two under the new coaching regime and I think you'll start to see this Bison program make a turn towards the top of their conference. Low numbers but good talent.

14. Hickory: They played a lot of young players the past couple of years, but the schedule lines up great for them and there is a lot of excitement with Joe Glass at the controls.

15. Rockingham County: This was a strong, gritty team that wore on teams over the spring. Now they have a good starting QB returning and seven quality starters leading the way on defense.

Reactions: strikerHHS
East Lincoln? Do we have the same definition of ‘dark horse’? 🙂

“The Scorpions will be ready to sting the competition” LOL, love it — Did you recently pick up the North Brunswick beat as a side gig ?

East Lincoln? Do we have the same definition of ‘dark horse’? 🙂

“The Scorpions will be ready to sting the competition” LOL, love it — Did you recently pick up the North Brunswick beat as a side gig ?
Nah, I just that was wordy and rhymed! East is only a dark horse because of their ascension up to 3A ranks from 2A.

Reactions: strikerHHS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT