ADVERTISEMENT

#8 Shelby (12-2) at #2 Hibriten (14-0)

Who wins?

• Shelby

Votes: 85 63.4%
  • Hibriten

Votes: 49 36.6%

• Total voters
Shelby can't play bad enough to lose this one. The lopsided bracket had the best three teams on one side. That would be South Point, Shelby, and Mount Pleasant. Same thing happened last year in 3a west. I talked to some coaches this week who suggested we should have some sort of oversight committee comprised of coaches to give it the Snicker test. It still wouldn't be perfect but it would reward the people who work so hard for the right to play on another week
Just sayin

This time of year everyone is a little beat up and sore- injuries happen and are apart of the game- for the injured kids it sucks and you hope they heal- for you asshole fans that use it as an excuse lol at you, bitches

Reactions: beamer24
Not at all. I still feel like SP has the best team in the state. We just picked the wrong time to lay down.

I dont think they layed down, but the turnover bug might have something to do with it. I notice option teams and flexbone/wing t teams are susceptible to fumble(even the good ones) often. I guess that style of play leaves the ball more exposed with the ball flipping around alot(pitching) and the extra efforts for yards all time I don't know. Or the players get a little more relaxed carrying the ball maybe. Bad timing/seeding(in a way)

On another note, it may be best that Hibriten play for the title anyway. Shelby or South Point may not have been healthy 'enough' to win it.

I dont think they layed down, but the turnover bug might have something to do with it. I notice option teams and flexbone/wing t teams are susceptible to fumble(even the good ones) often. I guess that style of play leaves the ball more exposed with the ball flipping around alot(pitching) and the extra efforts for yards all time I don't know. Or the players get a little more relaxed carrying the ball maybe. Bad timing/seeding(in a way)

On another note, it may be best that Hibriten play for the title anyway. Shelby or South Point may not have been healthy 'enough' to win it.
The fumble was on kick off and appeared to be punched/knocked out on the tackle.
I agree I do not believe that the raiders laid down AT ALL!! That's actually a disservice to the team to even say that ! They got beat by a Shelby team that was on a mission to revenge that loss and they (Shelby) played freaking crazy. Their was more emotion in that game in the first qt. than Shelby showed in the whole game against Hibrtien. It took a hell of a team to beat South point this year and Shelby had the players and the emotion to do it. But really @SPRedRaider don't say that the guys laid down cause they played their butts off Shelby just made a couple big plays and their defense made some crazy adjustments just for y'all

The fumble was on kick off and appeared to be punched/knocked out on the tackle.
I agree I do not believe that the raiders laid down AT ALL!! That's actually a disservice to the team to even say that ! They got beat by a Shelby team that was on a mission to revenge that loss and they (Shelby) played freaking crazy. Their was more emotion in that game in the first qt. than Shelby showed in the whole game against Hibrtien. It took a hell of a team to beat South point this year and Shelby had the players and the emotion to do it. But really @SPRedRaider don't say that the guys laid down cause they played their butts off Shelby just made a couple big plays and their defense made some crazy adjustments just for y'all

There, Hibriten,

Good point nonetheless

Reactions: thekidd12
Not at all. I still feel like SP has the best team in the state.

I agree and would still say Shelby and South Point were the best two teams in 2A this year. If we played each other 10 times, I think we would split 5 and 5.

If either of us played Hibriten 10 times, I think we would win 9 out of 10 ...but it only takes 1 off night and a loss in the playoffs and you're done. It was a gauntlet.....on to next year.

I agree and would still say Shelby and South Point were the best two teams in 2A this year. If we played each other 10 times, I think we would split 5 and 5.

If either of us played Hibriten 10 times, I think we would win 9 out of 10 ...but it only takes 1 off night and a loss in the playoffs and you're done. It was a gauntlet.....on to next year.
OK you/y'all agree South Point has the best team in the state but if they played Shelby 10 times it would be an even split? Shelby also would beat Hibriten 9 out of same sample size of 10 because that loss was caused by an off night.

Is there any scenario where South Point's loss to Shelby was an off night for them and perhaps they would be victorious 9 out of 10 times?

Just asking. Was trying to follow the logic used.

Yeah I know my thoughts are irrelevant because my team is no longer playing.

Wait a minute...

one could argue that the 4 best 2A teams in the state will be playing Saturday.

Oh those sour grapes! LMAO!....... you're done! Lost to the better team, PERIOD! grow some class, geezzzz! One big play to start the dang game, a missed tackle or you wouldn't have scored on that play. You get a blocked punt with 1st and goal at the two and don't score. Oh I'm sorry, y'all cried that their was a bogus chop block call, lol, the chop block that prevented a tackle in the backfield. Bottom line is Mighty Shelby got whipped, move on. You'll have a shot again next year, I hear Hibriten is a young team with a lot coming back and tremendous talent coming up. Have some class!

Last edited:
Hibriten only has seven seniors. #21, #36, #52, #82, Will be The biggest loses from the senior class. What I am impressed about is the OL. # 52 was playing there at OT. The coaches had enough depth to move him off the OL to just the DL and kicking. OL has juniors, sophomores and freshman making a impact. The freshman held his own when he came in to play.

You have an illness. Seek help. If I was Shelby High School I wouldnt let you within 100 feet of the school after your ridiculous antics this past week.

Your and embarrassment to the program.

Hibriten only has seven seniors. #21, #36, #52, #82, Will be The biggest loses from the senior class. What I am impressed about is the OL. # 52 was playing there at OT. The coaches had enough depth to move him off the OL to just the DL and kicking. OL has juniors, sophomores and freshman making a impact. The freshman held his own when he came in to play.

I guess we can expect to see them in the later rounds again next season

I saw on Twitter where the South Caldwell coach informed Nate Wimberly (WBTV) that the 1956 Granite Falls HS team actually had won the first football state champ for Caldwell County......I think i now know who 72 is.

Coach Kirkpatrick sounds like the type of guy who would claim the 4a conference championship from 2017 on his resume.

Reactions: BL1 and beamer24
Oh those sour grapes!
Nothing sour my friend.....we never said we win them all, we just win more than anyone else.

Lost to the better team, PERIOD!
Disagree with you here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Pretty evenly matched teams if you ask anyone who studies the game of football.

One big play to start the dang game, a missed tackle or you wouldn't have scored on that play.
One big play by Witherspoon or Shelby is up 7-6 with the ball at midfield and 4 minutes left in the game. See what I did there? It could have gone either way. Two big catches (instead of drops) when Shelby receivers were behind the defense and Shelby has 14 more points.

You get a blocked punt with 1st and goal at the two and don't score. Oh I'm sorry, y'all cried that their was a bogus chop block call, lol, the chop block that prevented a tackle in the backfield.
According to the Shelby coaches, that was a legit call. However, when the Shelby defender has the ball running wide open toward his endzone and then a whistle blows and the official says the runner was down when he never even touched the ground....do you have an explanation for that one sir? Nothing bogus about that. Just a terrible game changing call.

Bottom line is Mighty Shelby got whipped, move on.
As mentioned before....some of you have no clue about the game of football. 13-7 with 4 minutes to go with the losing team having the ball 1st down at midfield...a score and extra point gives them the lead.....nothing about that says whipped. This isn't baseball or hockey.

You'll have a shot again next year, I hear Hibriten is a young team with a lot coming back and tremendous talent coming up.
That's great. The series is tied at 1-1. We need a rubber match.
1997 49-14 Shelby (this is a whipping)
2017 7-19 Hibriten

Have some class!
We have plenty to go around.

Best of luck to Hibriten Saturday....bring it back to the west!

Nothing sour my friend.....we never said we win them all, we just win more than anyone else.

Disagree with you here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Pretty evenly matched teams if you ask anyone who studies the game of football.

One big play by Witherspoon or Shelby is up 7-6 with the ball at midfield and 4 minutes left in the game. See what I did there? It could have gone either way. Two big catches (instead of drops) when Shelby receivers were behind the defense and Shelby has 14 more points.

According to the Shelby coaches, that was a legit call. However, when the Shelby defender has the ball running wide open toward his endzone and then a whistle blows and the official says the runner was down when he never even touched the ground....do you have an explanation for that one sir? Nothing bogus about that. Just a terrible game changing call.

As mentioned before....some of you have no clue about the game of football. 13-7 with 4 minutes to go with the losing team having the ball 1st down at midfield...a score and extra point gives them the lead.....nothing about that says whipped. This isn't baseball or hockey.

2017 7-19 Hibriten

All 3 of you are liar's! You guys posted a lie about something, that i still don't know what the Hell you were trying to accomplish? You have even less credibility, that you didn't have before. Where is the humility? There's a saying called, act like you've been there before. Instead of carrying yourself's like winner's in defeat. You berate every program in NC with success. I have a lot admiration for what Shelby has accomplished throughout their program, but you 3 would be an embarrassment to any program.

All 3 of you are sick and need some serious counseling.

All 3 of you are liar's! You guys posted a lie about something, that i still don't know what the Hell you were trying to accomplish? You have even less credibility, that you didn't have before. Where is the humility? There's a saying called, act like you've been there before. Instead of carrying yourself's like winner's in defeat. You berate every program in NC with success. I have a lot admiration for what Shelby has accomplished throughout their program, but you 3 would be an embarrassment to any program.

All 3 of you are sick and need some serious counseling.
Shelby has a great program and some great fans. Theirs always gonna be a few that make them look bad. It takes class to show class in defeat. Shelby was a beaten team Friday night both physically, mentally, athletically and on the scoreboard! You take away two plays and Shelby probably didn't have 50 yds of offense

Reactions: daletec
Maybe we could get a hibriten, south point match up again?

I would hope its not when one is down. I hate when you get hypothetical big matchups but one of the teams is down. It thins the plot and makes for a dry game where the names are bigger than the show.

Reactions: 72 State Champion

2017 7-19 Hibriten

It is amazing to me, as well as others I assume, that you/y'all are a part of the same fan base that includes SL,LA and even whitemilesdavis and many more of like minds. They support Shelby to the end whether win or lose. Just like y'all.

I can't count the number of posts from Shelby supporters praising Hibriten on the win. Only one poster has downgraded their victory by using his/their go to phrases of "yeah but if this had happened or that had not been called".

On top of that there is the thread currently known as simply "X." Mante Teo couldn't have done it better.

Then you post this ^^^^ on your next visit?

Hope there is a return to reality in the near future for y'all. Until then I think y'all should seriously consider laying low for quite a while.

I would hope its not when one is down. I hate when you get hypothetical big matchups but one of the teams is down. It thins the plot and makes for a dry game where the names are bigger than the show.
We were not "down" last year when we played sp, maybe after but not during. Don't know if we have ever played a game where one was down vs other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT