ADVERTISEMENT

8 man football

chowanese

Dec 7, 2005
8 man football is a mickey mouse brand of football. It would be equivalent to public school JV ball. In defense of the sport though, these schools would otherwise be stuck with playing the god-awful sport of soccer.
This post was edited on 2/26 1:00 AM by FBRefif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Re: POLL:

chowanese

Thank you so much for submitting your opinion. It has been filed.

Originally posted by chowanese:
8 man football is a mickey mouse brand of football. It would be equivalent to public school JV ball. In defense of the sport though, these schools would otherwise be stuck with playing the god-awful sport of soccer.

I typically don't respond to posts of this nature, but here goes:
1) 8-man football is no different from 11-man football, other than the fact you have 3 less players per team on the field. It's still blocking, running, hitting, and tackling - all skills that are required to be a good team at any level, from Pop Warner to NFL.

2) You don't have a clue what you are talking about. If you had ever been to an 8-man football game you would know that the statement above is true.

3) Don't ever compare any type of American football, 8-man, 11-man, or 6-man football (which is played in Nebraska and Oklahoma and other western states - where kids go play Division I ball at schools like: Nebraska, Oklahoma, and other solid programs that are traditionally competing for their conference titles) to soccer. No offense to soccer - those guys (and gals) are very well-trained and conditioned for their sport - but the two sports are just completely different.

4) In coaching and playing the 8-man game, I have never seen Mickey Mouse suit up for a game! Maybe after this response, he will come out of his trap and see what the game is really like.
This post was edited on 12/9 10:03 AM by Bandit_9if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Hey Bandit.....thanks for setting that guy straight.....I wish you would send the same sentiments to the editor and sports editor of the Roanoke Rapids Daily Herald. The sports writer also thinks 8 man is not real football.

Most people that enter this dispute do so not fully educsated. I can tell you from coaching eight-man for seven years and coaching and playing eleven-man for numerous years that they are not very different. Speed is a little more important in the eight-man game because the distance to the corner on offense or the QB on defense is shorter because of fewer lineman. Size is a little more important in the eleven-man game. All of the skills are the same. I have coached for and against many eight-man teams that would give most eleven-man teams a good run---including some public schools. Until you have been involved in both-you can't make an educated comment. And watching games doesn't count! To really know what you're talking you have to have played or coached both.

Originally posted by Stearman:
Hey Bandit.....thanks for setting that guy straight.....I wish you would send the same sentiments to the editor and sports editor of the Roanoke Rapids Daily Herald. The sports writer also thinks 8 man is not real football.

That paper must not have much of a SPORTS editor or SPORTS writer. If they claim to be either of these, they would know that any type of game played with a ball warrants coverage for their paper. I could understand them not covering high school football if they were say...in Richmond, but come on...Roanoke Rapids? I just didn't think it was SO big that the local papers couldn't cover ALL of their local high schools.

bandit/lil bro' why don't you tell taht clown how you really feel!!! believe me, you don't want to get the bandit started defending the 8 man bashers. he will let them have it.

Aight chowanese. I can tell you have no clue as to what you are talking about. Don't crack on eight man football until you have put on the pads and actually get out there and play the game big boy. Well, you may say eight man football isn't real football because there are three fewer players out there on the field, therefore an eight man state championship isn't as important as an eleven man state championship. Well, if you feel this way why don't you go play Richmond Sr. or Charolette Independance? You would probably say,"Uh,we don't because they are 4AA schools." Yeah they are, and I garantee that Charolette Indy would whip your tails any day of the week, but is there state championship more important than one that your school gets? No it's not. So therefore an eight man state championship is just as important as an eleven man state championship. If you are jealous that you don't have a ring thats your problem. Just learn to face the fact that it's something you can NEVER change and don't take it out on slamming eight man football. Cool?

Now I don't have a problem with hca's football program and I have grown up playing with many of the players. However, saying that a 8-man state championship is as important as a public school championship is absurd. In public schools there is a 64 team playoff where for harrells there is a 8 team playoff. Already it makes the championship much easier for harrells then for public schools. Winning an 8 man state championship is much like most schools winning a conference championship. Also, the athletes at harrells can't come close to comparing to public schools athletes. Not one player on hca's team would have started on wrh's team that lost in the state championship. But I will continue to cheer for them since I know many of the players.

Re: Winning...

a state championship on any level in any sport is a fantastic accomplishment that will be remembered for a lifetime. Those that belittle any state championship are flat out showing the world(or at least those that read this board) their jealousy.

Originally posted by narchdog:
Now I don't have a problem with hca's football program and I have grown up playing with many of the players. However, saying that a 8-man state championship is as important as a public school championship is absurd. In public schools there is a 64 team playoff where for harrells there is a 8 team playoff. Already it makes the championship much easier for harrells then for public schools. Winning an 8 man state championship is much like most schools winning a conference championship. Also, the athletes at harrells can't come close to comparing to public schools athletes. Not one player on hca's team would have started on wrh's team that lost in the state championship. But I will continue to cheer for them since I know many of the players.

Yeah, a 64-team playoff for eight state champions. You can't tell me a state championship in today's terms even matches that of the title WRH DID win in 1994. The first two rounds of the current playoff system are a joke. I know that is no fault of anyone at WRH, and I have nothing against WRH nor its athletes or coaches - this is my opinion towards the NCHSAA and its money making philosophy of the present time.

As far as importance...you can't tell me that the kids at HCA didn't work as hard as the kids at other schools that play football. People need to realize that FOOTBALL is FOOTBALL. 3 less men on the field does not make it any less of a game. If there were just as many schools across the state playing 8-man football, then we would be comparing apples to apples. At this time, 8-man football and 11-man football is comparing apples to oranges. But the apples, in my opinion, are just as important as the oranges. No one at HCA is comparing, nor has compared, the athletes between the two schools or any other public school. The fact of the matter is this: FOOTBALL = FOOTBALL. STATE CHAMPIONSHIP = STATE CHAMPIONSHIP.

WRH had a tremendous season(s) and it's a heartbreaking to the coaching staff, players, boosters, school, community that their team(s) lost two consecutive championships to Thomasville by 1 point. No doubt in my mind that hurts, but to say you are the 1A Eastern State Champions for 2 consecutive years is a tremendous accomplishment and is something to be very proud of. I have been on both sides of winning a state title and losing a state title. I have been on both sides of being a player and coach on state championship teams. It is one of the most gratifying accomoplishments of my lifetime, and I hope that other teams in this area can experience the same amount of joy.

It's nice having three championship caliber teams in the area with Clinton, WRH, and HCA all competing for state titles in 2005. I hope all three can make the same strides in 2006, when HCA will be playing 11-man.

As nickelo stated, "Winning a state championship on any level in any sport is a fantastic accomplishment that will be remembered for a lifetime." Stop taking away credit where credit is due. The football team from HCA was the best in 2005 at there level of play, period.

There are over 300 public schools fighting for 8 Championships. 64 is the number of schools in each classification that makes the playoffs. So, that means you have 256 teams who make the playoffs and play for those 8 titles.

There are something like 12 8-man schools fighting for 1 Championship. 8 of those 12 makes the playoffs. So, that means you got 8 teams playing for that one title.

I'm not really trying to make any kind of point here. I just thought I would state the facts.

DELETED & BANNED
This post was edited on 2/25 1:08 AM by FBRefif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

That a way to get booted off the message board man. We need to start a topic on private school baseball how bout it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT