ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Early Look at Basketball

As to who will be the team to beat in the East--don't overlook Rocky Mount Academy. They ended last year ranked 5th in the state (2A) and are looking forward to another successful season next year.

Re: FA has had....

some inquiries from some very interesting, more than capable folks. A surprise may be in the offing IF things fall into place in the next couple of weeks. No names will be circulated so don't ask!!!!!!!

Re: FA has had....

nickelo

You really have me intrigued with the ABOVE POST.

FA Head Coach baseball wishes- from a not so disinterested observer

While basketball is closer than next spring, I have sons coming along in the FA baseball program. I thought I would offer my two cents on FA efforts at a recruiting a new Baseball HC.

FA needs stability in their baseball program with a coach willing to invest in our kids, the school and our community...

Someone that will schedule more games (Varsity and JV) or tournement play on week-ends...

As baseball is a hugely quantifiable endeavor, close attention should be paid to who's hot and who's not and play individuals based on performance in total. "Gut feelings" and "intuition" can be checked against "performance" every game...and it should be.

I would like kids to have to compete for starting position and playing time

FA needs a coach who feels losing hurts more than winnning feels good...

It is imperative the new coach really promote this fabulous sport, in word and deed, to the institution and ensure the continuation of the JV baseball program.

As it is true in nearly every walk of life, a healthy respect for a disciplined approach to all things generally leads to even greater success.
HS kids are still only HS KIDS. Please don't recruit a man who is a bigger kid than the kids. Discipline, coupled with a real love for the kids, and the game, matters. Children need mentors upon whom they can find consistency and positive direction.

As the FA has long promoted soccer success, so it can do with baseball. But, the baseball program leader has to actively and aggressively manage the program and agree to be there for the long haul to make this program more competitive than ever before.

I am hopeful the FA does recruit a knowledgable, successful, mature and capable individual that will inspire and encourage our kids. I am sad Coach Allen is unable to stay. But we have, once again, an opportunity to recruit an individual with the energy and drive to bring home many baseball championships as the years go by.

It "ain't" all about soccer!

This post was edited on 5/4 12:58 PM by americaneyecare1if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 5/4 1:03 PM by americaneyecare1if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Re: FA Head Coach baseball wishes- from a not so disinterested observer

Sounds like everything that you want is what you have had with your two past coaches. While I never played for Coach Allen, I played against him, and the discipline displayed by his teams showed on the field. I am not necessarily speaking of sportsmanship discipline (never had any problems with Coach Allen, his players or staff - Waccamaw and HCA was a heated rivlary, a good, heated rivalry for many years in the SEIC, but was always without incident - minus a few words exchanged from time to time, but that's what makes it a rilvary), I am speaking of skill discipline. You could tell when you faced Coach Allen's teams. He didn't even have to be there. His kids did it the right way all the time, and you could tell they were well coached.

I have worked with Coach Seagroves the past two years. He is dedicated to the school, the program, but most importantly - to the kids. He has pushed for everything you have mentioned, americaneyecare, playing time based upon performance rather than mere talent, based upon attitude and respect for the game of baseball rather than athleticism.

I am sorry, but I take offense to your post in the fact that you have insulted two of the best baseball coaches with more knowlege of the game than any other people I have ever been around. That, my friend, is fact. You don't win umpteen state championships at Waccamaw Academy by just luck, and you don't qualify for the state playoffs every year at two different schools by just luck.

I know losing hurts with Coach Seagroves, I'm in the huddles after the games. Even when we win it sometimes hurts. Everyone is held accountable for mistakes. If Johnny messes up, Johnny and TEAM are held accountable. I know it hurt when we lost to Waccamaw because if we didn't at least split with them we were assured to be staying home in the playoffs. If you're not going to believe me, ask Coach Allen how much it used to hurt losing to Harrells.

Re: Bandit and american

Bandit, I understand your passion and agree with most that you have said. Let me simply say that you cannot win for losing and you can never please all the people all of the time. I agree with you that Richard Seagroves and Robbie Allen are two of the most knowledgeable baseball people around. I agree that Richard Seagroves did what was necessary to get kids(those that loved the game) to commit to making themselves better through off season workouts as the off season is when kids improve not during practice time during the season. I agree that Coach Seagroves knows the game, is demanding of the kids and is a very good situational coach.

I also agree that Robbie Allen is one of the most knowledgeable baseball men around and one that has more than a burning passion for the game. He stands on principle. I thought I knew some baseball, Robbie Allen KNOWS baseball. Everyone's coaching styles are different. As I love the game and remember my playing days and some of the inadequate coaches I played under and have to this day witnissed I can without reservation say that I would have loved to have played under Robbie Allen. Yet, Robbie's mild mannered coaching style is dependent upon the kids as a group loving the game and committing to working hard and doing the little things. I have no reservations in thinking that if Robbie Allen were to stay at FA for a period of time and given the necessary support from parents and school administration that he would have developed the same type of program he led WA to.

American, your frustrations this year are understandable YET there are several contributing factors that people are not cognizant of. First, this years FA team has ONLY two players whose passion is baseball and one is a 9th grader and the other is an 8th grader. The others are athletes in varying degrees. Secondly, team chemistry due to some social situations was not what it could have been this year and this had nothing to do with the coach. And anyone that has coached will tell you that the mental psyche of players and comradere amongst players is almost as important as skill in a team's success. Neither of those components can be placed at the foot of any coach.

American, your suggestings regarding the next coach are well thought out and legitimate. Stability in program leadership is crucial. Having someone at the helm of a PROGRAM(different than a team) that has the energy, committment and time to give to the kids is vital. I would stringly encourage you to take your concerns to the HOS as the situation at FA presently is that there are not many, if any at all, teaching positions available for a new coach. Having a varsity coach(the head of the PROGRAM) at the school where he is there daily during the day so that he learns and truly knows the kids is crucial to understanding personalities and psyches.

Finally, I spoke with an AD at another conference school and his upcoming focus regarding his coaching hires was to get their HOS to commit to allocating some money for assistant and lower level teams'(JV and MS)coaches so that "Johnny's daddy" is not the coach. I have been one of those "Johnny's daddy" guys and complications can arise between coach dad and player son along with social pressures being exerted on the player son when coach dad has to discipline another player/friend or when another player/friend or their parent is unhappy with their playing time. I have been lucky in most instances as a coach/daddy as my kids understand discipline, committment and have a true love for competition. In short, it is more beneficial for parents to not be involved in the programs except to financially support the program and vocivorously cheer for their child's team's success.

Regarding scheduling, again one can't win for losing as I remember years ago when FA played a 24-27 game schedule, playing in as well as hosting an event the outcrys from parents regarding the cutting into their spring break or Easter plans and their study time was quite loud. This all goes back to FA's not having a large number of BASEBALL PLAYERS AND THEIR PARENTS willing to sacrifice their social lives for a program and until the time arrives that ALL PARENTS AND PLAYERS MAKE A COMMITTMENT TO A PROGRAM AND THOSE UNWILLING TO DO NOT PLAY ON THE TEAM will success occur. And when a kid is cut from the team for not being able to(due to the parent's adjenda or the kid's adjenda) make that committment leading to complaints being lodged against the coach (as I, "Johnny Parent", spend a lot of money at this school) and the HOS unequivically supports his coach will the program rise to a successful level. Overall mindsets have to change.

I am lucky to count both Richard Seagroves and Robbie Allen as friends as if I were in need I KNOW that these two guys would be there to help in any way possible and THAT is the definition of a FRIEND.

Re: Bandit and american

Very well put, nickelo. Good seeing you on Thursday and best of luck the rest of the way. Wasn't trying to "get my nose where it doesn't belong", but I was just standing up for both of these "friends of mine" and coaches. While, I haven't had the pleasure of coaching or being coached by Coach Allen, he is one that I have always enjoyed being around and certainly one that I have ALWAYS respected.

Re: FA Head Coach baseball wishes- from a not so disinterested observe

Heavens to Betsy sir, I did not seek to offend and your offense is noted. You need not be "sorry" in expressing your unhappiness with my post. Perhaps you might re-read all that I wrote. "I am sad that Coach Allen is unable to stay" does not sound like a jab at a departing coach...never did I imply I was glad Coach Allen was leaving. In fact, I was positively thrilled when we were told Coach Allen was coming to FA. I agree he has more baseball knowledge than just about anybody I know as well. That is why he got the job at Brunswick in the first place and the reason for much of FA baseball optimism for this year and in what many of us hoped would be for years to come. Nor did I suggest Coach Allen did not meet my "standard" for "Head Coach."(Besides, I am just a fan. Trust me, I do not flatter myself in thinking I have any influence over what happens at FA on any level.) Coach Allen's qualifications speak for themselves. You obviously read more into my note than intended. (I do think it reasonable to note that a one year stint is not a demonstration of committment to our kids, our institution or our community. Agreed?)

I do not share your enthusiasm for Seagroves however. While I wish him continued success, I am glad he left FA. Our differences are personal and professional and I shall not dwell on them. The fact is, HCA is a very good team and Mr. Seagroves has a wealth of knowledge as well. I do not agree he is always "for the kids." In fact, Mr. Seagroves can be a bit cranky (a lot), and he is the first to tell you what he thinks of your kid in terms that you would never forget. If Rich feels like telling you any details, fine.

I wish Coach Allen a ton of success at Brunswick County. If past is prologue, he will be a huge asset to their program. I hope FA will be able to attract a high quality individual to head its baseball program.
I will try to remember this is a fan's forum and not one in which we take "shots" at departing coaches or other teams. Again, no disrespect intended and it is I who is sorry if you interpreted things otherwise.

I just read Nickelo's lenghty response. Much of it, we have discussed before. I have discussed the baseball PROGRAM with Head of School Mr. Cameron and the FA AD. Again, my input and $1.00 mighht get you a cup of coffee at MickeyDs.
This post was edited on 5/5 11:24 PM by americaneyecare1if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Be careful, that coffee can be hot at Mickey Ds.
RB

Originally posted by americaneyecare1:
I thought I would offer my two cents on FA efforts at a recruiting a new Baseball HC. FA needs stability in their baseball program with a coach willing to invest in our kids, the school and our community...Someone that will schedule more games (Varsity and JV) or tournement play on week-ends...As baseball is a hugely quantifiable endeavor, close attention should be paid to who's hot and who's not and play individuals based on performance in total. "Gut feelings" and "intuition" can be checked against "performance" every game...and it should be. I would like kids to have to compete for starting position and playing time...FA needs a coach who feels losing hurts more than winnning feels good...It is imperative the new coach really promote this fabulous sport, in word and deed, to the institution and ensure the continuation of the JV baseball program...As it is true in nearly every walk of life, a healthy respect for a disciplined approach to all things generally leads to even greater success...HS kids are still only HS KIDS. Please don't recruit a man who is a bigger kid than the kids. Discipline, coupled with a real love for the kids, and the game, matters. Children need mentors upon whom they can find consistency and positive direction.

As the FA has long promoted soccer success, so it can do with baseball. But, the baseball program leader has to actively and aggressively manage the program and agree to be there for the long haul to make this program more competitive than ever before.

I am hopeful the FA does recruit a knowledgable, successful, mature and capable individual that will inspire and encourage our kids. I am sad Coach Allen is unable to stay. But we have, once again, an opportunity to recruit an individual with the energy and drive to bring home many baseball championships as the years go by...

This post was edited on 5/4 12:58 PM by americaneyecare1
if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Your post reads like a "grocery list" of COMPLAINTS about the state of the current FA program. Just a thought from an outsider.

While you do mention you are, "sad that Coach Allen is unable to stay," still your complaints lead one to believe he has not been GOOD ENOUGH. Sorry that I don't agree with your feeling that he has been committed. Again, I am reading and quoting what you have posted. It SEEMS you are disgruntled at the situation at FA. Just my opinion.

I do see however, that you do not feel the same about Seagroves. Your personal, professional differences are none of my business. I do know what he demands from his players as well as his coaching staff. As far as telling you what he thinks about your kid, yes, he can be brutally honest. However, one should use that as motivation to get better rather than giving up. If I was told, "you can't catch, you can't throw, you can't hit, you can't run, etc." I believe if I truly LOVED the game of baseball, I work as hard as possibly could to prove that coach wrong. That obviously is not the attitude of the generation of kids growing up in Fayetteville, Harrells or wherever. Most kids today expect a handout and are used to hearing, "It's okay, Johnny. You'll get it next time." Truth of the matter is kids aren't being pushed the way I was pushed, and certainly not the way your generation was pushed. Now, when a kid wants to quit, his parents say, "it's okay", or when the kid complains about playing time, his parents are quick to jump in the coach's face and tell the coach that their kid should be playing without hearing that Johnny doesn't listen when I tell him how to run bases, he doesn't listen to what pitches he should be hitting versus the pitches he should not be trying to hit, etc. Believe it or not, there is reason you should take a lead the way it's taught and there is a reason a batter shouldn't hit bad pitches.

I am not insenuating that you have done this with your kids. I am giving a generalization of how it is coaching in today's generation. As far as Coach Seagroves being cranky, well, we can all be that from time to time and I am sure it is tough being in the best of moods all day everyday when you have an infant, a toddler, plus two other children to look after, because truly that is what is most important - family.

I wish nothing but the best for FA. Fayetteville is a healthy conference rivalry for HCA. Again, I explained that your post reads as if you are complaining about the situation. If I read to deep, my apologies. I just felt the need to stand up for two coaches, who in my opinion, are two of the best in the NCISAA.

You read too deep. Apologies accepted.

One can never have enough friends.

If you are talking about basketball then last year was his first year. Damon is no longer there.

Heath

Re: Early Look at Basketball

I think Calvary should be back a the top this up coming year. They return almost all their players. A couple of subs graduated but they should be very tough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT