ADVERTISEMENT

#6 Murphy (12-2) at #1 Mount Airy (13-0)

Who wins?

• Murphy

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • Mount Airy

Votes: 43 44.3%

• Total voters
I don't know jack didley about mt airy but Murphy is very gritty and physical!! Kinda hard to practice for that part of tha game!!! If your big time players ain't been hit all year this season it's bout to happen this Friday!! I'm pullin for SMC team and I ain't sayin they're gonna win by a billion but Murphy is gonna hit unz hard!!!

Reactions: BravesGWY
I also picked Hibriten to smack the All World Franklin team as well. I saw it in person. Speed kills. Franklin looked turtle-ish in that match up. I picked Murphy to roll East Surry as well. Betta stop sleeping on my picks Nole.LOL. I'm on a roll and you know this, Man. Can't hit what you cant catch. Ask Franklin. LOL.

Reactions: gdawg74
I also picked Hibriten to smack the All World Franklin team as well. I saw it in person. Speed kills. Franklin looked turtle-ish in that match up. I picked Murphy to roll East Surry as well. Betta stop sleeping on my picks Nole.LOL. I'm on a roll and you know this, Man. Can't hit what you cant catch. Ask Franklin. LOL.

If I had a dollar for every time someone played the speed card against us. We heard about #6 last week and how he was as good as the rb from Stanley. He met a host of dogs in his backfield most of the night.

We're not bringing plow mules ES looked at the back of our #32 all night . We are the defending 1A State Champs for a reason .

Only thing I can go off is ES played Mt. Airy to a 31-21 ballgame and we had you 28-7 at the half. I like our chances I think it will b a close great game . Mount Airy is undefeated for a reason.

First let me say this, when I play , there wasn't much faster than me,. When we played swain I couldn't run on em they hit me all night, and trust me I'm sure they don't run a 40 time I could run , so take it from a old speedster , yes we can be stopped

Reactions: BravesGWY
If I had a dollar for every time someone played the speed card against us. We heard about #6 last week and how he was as good as the rb from Stanley. He met a host of dogs in his backfield most of the night.

We're not bringing plow mules ES looked at the back of our #32 all night . We are the defending 1A State Champs for a reason .

Only thing I can go off is ES played Mt. Airy to a 31-21 ballgame and we had you 28-7 at the half. I like our chances I think it will b a close great game . Mount Airy is undefeated for a reason.

Trust me as a old speedster from the 91 , swain could stop me running, there was 2-3 people hitn me every play, I'm just using this as example cause I ran a 4.23 40, so I'm sure unless they can match that , they can't say speed can't be stopped

Not to compare scores since east is a rivarly game as is swain for the dogs. Bessemer city beat swain and from what i hear the bears could have hung a hundred on them by the end of the 3rd if they wanted to. I was at the east / murphy game, it was indeed a mis match all night. ( im eating crow from the smack talk last week ) about 6 . East Surry could be 1-10 and still give the best bear team in history the game if there life , just how it is here in surry county. The Bears aint East Surry and the Dawgs aint bessemer city. If i was a betting man i would bet on a close game friday night. Unlike east surry the bears have success in the post season and a coaching staff that has had post season success and success against the smokey mountain conference. They are well aware of the physicality and style of football. There will be no surprises friday night in the granite city by either team or coaching staff . It will be standing room only and the atmosphere will be static. The bears are at home and that is a good place to be , safe travels to all and whoever is left standing --- PLEASE GO SHUT TARBORO UP

This is going to be good....On one side, you've got the Coach's son as the QB and on the other you've got a kid who's good enough to be selected to the Shrine Bowl, and that's just for starters...

The cast of Characters on both teams are impressive, experienced and talented....Both Coaches have that championship pedigree mentality that's needed to guide a successful group of young men to do bigger things than they thought possible...

Mount Airy has scaled the Championship Mountain many times through the years, and Murphy is the reigning state 1A Champ whose banner is still flying high....The Granite Bears came within one game of making a 1AA championship appearance last year, and here they are again one year later having not lost a game since that Western Regional Final loss last year to West Montgomery....Murphy came into this season with a lot of swagger and expectations, and stumbled a couple times under the weight of those expectations, but when the playoffs began the swagger returned, and the team regained the championship form that has bonded them as a unit, and are now playing like many expected when the season began...

The only thing that I regret is that this game is in Mount Airy, or otherwise I would be attending...

Expect a Big Crowd....Expect a Lot of Tradition....Expect an Epic Showdown!

Games like this is what makes High School Football special!

As a fan of the SMC, I will be rooting for the Bulldogs and if the Granite Bears prevail I will be rooting for them next week!

Good luck to the Winner in the State 1AA title game!

Last edited:
No offense to Franklin, but that typically is what happens to them. That's why we gave wir such a hard time. But this should be great game. Good luck to both teams.

watched Dogs/ES this morning, 2 picks and a 10 yd punt in 1st Q sure didn’t help Cardinals....who’s 89 for Dogs?

Murphy, even as a 1A team, tends to be faster than Franklin. Maybe Mount Airy is full of track stars, but I wouldn't assume Murphy is slow by any means. I wouldn't use Franklin/Hibriten as a gauge for this game.

Reactions: mbdfan
Speed don't matter when you are lying on your back looking at the lights. Murphy by at least 1.

Little bitter in cardinal country aint we esod. Surly you would be pulling for the bears since they are from the same conference. I would hope so any way. :-/.

I’m going with Murphy by 2 TDS. I look for this to be a shootout but Murphy’s offense is well balanced. Just when you think you are stopping their running game Curry kills you with the pass then they go back to running. My only concern is how Murphy plays on the edge. That is a good thing but when they cross that line they get to many personal fouls. In a game like this they will have to play smart. Murphy’s Defense has rose to the occasion late in the season and will be tested. I look for them to bend but will not break. Good luck to the Bulldogs

Little bitter in cardinal country aint we esod. Surly you would be pulling for the bears since they are from the same conference. I would hope so any way. :-/.
Lord naw, I'll never pull for the bears. Never bitter and never gonna pull for them. Just how I am. After seeing both teams play and beat us. Mt Airy can't play up to the physical style of Murphy. The defense of Murphy will wear out the o-line of the bears. Just my opinion. Like I said before, no dog in the fight.

Gonna be a good one for sure esod, the dogs will deff be the best team the bears have seen this year. I think the bears secondary is gonna be the difference in this one. Match up of the night is gonna be #2 of murphy and 21 of ma. What time we meeting at the dairy center for some pre game grub ?? ( bareman , griddie and any bulldawg faithful if they want to join )

As stated above, Murphy has been tried and tested when it comes to speed. N Stanly had plenty of speed and Murphy survived. The same was said about E Surry. Murphy depends on their defense to contain that speed and keep it from being an advantage. The Bears may be loaded with speed, but if that E Surry defense was able to limit their offense to 17 pts thru 3 qts, it does make me wonder. Yes it was a rivalry game and i certainly know how that goes[Murphy/Swain] In reality, comparisons in different game scenerios dont matter. Both teams will bring it friday night for sure.

It’s not just speed Mount Airy has. They can spread the opposing defense out so much. That it will be the linebackers doing all the tackling. As all the tapes show Mount Airy don’t play hind n seek football, like a lot of schools do. They run the spread offense as good as anybody.
As for the defense. Coach Taylor and crew does an outstanding job. Enough can’t be said about them.
I have seen them make adjustments, during the game that just looked like a total different defense.
As for points MA has given up. Don’t waste your time looking at the final scores. Mount Airy’s starters haven’t played but maybe 3 full games except for special-teams all year.
As long as Mount Airy can keep Murphy from long drives and keeping the ball for 30 of 48 minutes. I believe they can win by 17.
Oh ESOD while you are getting ready for basketball. How about fixing that game and play clock before next season starts. We all know it was not working right late in the fourth quarter.

Reactions: ESOD and sbbbfan
A few posters have said Bears could have put up 100 pts here lately. As far as wasting time on scores, I wasn't. Just noted it took the Bears 2 4th qt tds to beat E Surry. Your starters were most certainly playing the entire game in that one. As far as the bears winning by 17, sure they might can, but so could Murphy.

Comparing Murphy vs Mt Airy to Franklin vs Hibriten is laughable. First off Mt Airy doesn't have anywhere near the team speed Hibriten does and secondly Franklin does not have the team speed Murphy does.

Mt Airy might be faster than Murphy with some individuals players but I've seen some film now and the team speed is about the same.

As long as Mount Airy can keep Murphy from long drives and keeping the ball for 30 of 48 minutes. I believe they can win by 17.
Sounds like someone who hasn't actually seen Murphy play, Murphy's offense is quick strike, they don't dominate time of possession nor do they slowly plod their way down the field, you aren't playing Robbinsville or Swain Friday, totally different mindset offensively.

yep... Murphy really grinded it out on offense with those plow mules... LOL

All im saying is that i wasn't that impressed with Franklin as an undefeated team. Murphy, you guys spoke super highly of them all season after they beat yall. Im saying that i saw them in person..against an elite 2aa team and Franklin got manhandled..and speed was the factor..Not saying anything against Murphy..but i wasn't impressed with Franklin against a team their size amd undefeated as they were. Mt. Airy is not Hibriten though, not nearly the team defensive speed as Hibriten. Both Murphy and Mt. Airy will have their hands full with each other.

Last edited:
Mbdfan: That video tells me nothing about Murphy.
What I do know is North Stanly only played three teams with at least a .500 recorded before playing Murphy.
Northwest - 6-6 N. Stanly Lost
West Montgomery 11-3 N. Stanly Won
North Rowan - 8-4 N. Stanly Won
Again I’m not bad mouthing Murphy. I do believe Mount Airy can win this one. As long as time of position is not in Murphy’s favor.

No offense or puns intended but east surry hasnt ever been a post season whirlwind, faulter every year playoff time. i like the cardinals, i watch them alot year in and year out, best game the cards played this year was at ragsdale, will stick to that as i have all year, that team or line up wasnt fielded since that game. Bears offense hasnt been turned loose all year. If you think you are rolling into mt airy and dominating this bears team then you will be shaking your head on your way back to the mountains. These two coaching staffs are to familar with each other and these two teams are to talanted for that to happen. The Bears secodary wins this game , not the speed, the dogs are plenty fast enuff and the bears have state champion track athletes on the field. O line for the bears and the d line for the dogs match up good. 32 for the dogs is a baller , line backers are a toss up between the two . I think the recievers and bear secondery are the diffrence in this one. I could be way wrong. Its just a stylistic dream match up in my opinion, its a close one. No sh&);t talk for this one like last week , this is honest opinions and what western regional final football is all about!!! Whats the head to head record between these two, or the bears against the smc conference under coach holder, just wondering, first person with the answer gets a COOKIE. :)

Last edited:
It’s not just speed Mount Airy has. They can spread the opposing defense out so much. That it will be the linebackers doing all the tackling. As all the tapes show Mount Airy don’t play hind n seek football, like a lot of schools do. They run the spread offense as good as anybody.
As for the defense. Coach Taylor and crew does an outstanding job. Enough can’t be said about them.
I have seen them make adjustments, during the game that just looked like a total different defense.
As for points MA has given up. Don’t waste your time looking at the final scores. Mount Airy’s starters haven’t played but maybe 3 full games except for special-teams all year.
Oh ESOD while you are getting ready for basketball. How about fixing that game and play clock before next season starts. We all know it was not working right late in the fourth quarter.

Bahaha hahaha I'll get right on it....

Both quarterbacks are dangerous making a play when the coverage is good. On the film against NS looks like the Murphy players really play hard. Planning on attending this game

A few posters have said Bears could have put up 100 pts here lately. As far as wasting time on scores, I wasn't. Just noted it took the Bears 2 4th qt tds to beat E Surry. Your starters were most certainly playing the entire game in that one. As far as the bears winning by 17, sure they might can, but so could Murphy.
And Murphy lost to Swain ........whats ur point

If i were mt. Airy id just get my basketball unis ready probably won' get in the end zone till Murphy subs out

Reactions: ESOD
Hummm. That's your opinion Nole. Bessemer City didn't belong on the field with Mt.Airy either. Yet they beat Swain, and Swain beat yall. These are all highschool teenagers, and from week to week no one can be completely sure of which team will actually show up. Mt.Airy and Tarboro are in the driver's seat. They're the only teams that don't have a bunch of excuses as to why they lost, because they haven't.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT