Dorman
Northwestern

Lower state
Dutch Fork
Carolina Forest
Sumter but I feel it could be close
Ft Dorchester

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I think Carolina Forest will have best shot at Dutch Fork before getting to the final 4. But here is my picks for the final 4. Dutch Fork n Ft Dorchester. Wouldn’t surprise me that game would come to be a triller. On the other side I’m liking Gaffney n Dorman but Gaffney has been a little shakey. Dorman should have beaten Gaffney the last time they played. But who knows with the playoffs anything can happen. Could we see another rematch of Dorman n Dutch Fort rematch. I know Dorman would love to have that chance.

Reactions: btango
Some updates on 5A playoffs

Dutch Fork 14 HT
Summerville 7
Summerville is hanging in there but will they hang the rest of the way.

Ridge View 14 HT
TL Hanna 7

River Bluff 14 HT
Fort Dorchester 6

Gaffney 21. HT
Byrnes 0

Carolina Forest 21. HT
Goose Creek 14

Dorman 35 2nd
Boiling Springs 0

Sumter 20 HT
Berkeley 6

Northwestern 30. HT
Hillcrest 6

Last edited:
Well out of all my picks I missed one. The very team I thought would go deep was Fort Dorchester. They would lose 14-12 to River Bluff. Come to find out RB only lost to Dutch Fork 1st game and they took off after that. Gaffney leading Byrnes by 21 at the half, but Byrnes came back within 7 to make it a game. But Gaffney would pull it out 35-21. Dutch Fork leading by 7 at the half took off the 2nd half for a big win over Summerville. Northwestern flexing their muscles with a big win over Hillcrest 51-21. At this point I’m still going with DF n Dorman in the finals. But a lot of football to be played. Here are the scores in the 5A.

Dutch Fork 42. Summerville 7

Sumter 34. Berkeley 13

Dorman 48. Boiling Springs 0

TL Hanna 28. Ridge View 20

Northwestern 51. Hillcrest 21

River Bluff 14. Fort Dorchester 12

Carolina Forest 35. Goose Creek 28

Gaffney 35. Byrnes 21

Last edited:
Reactions: smashmouth5
I could be wrong but I think Carolina Forest will have best shot at Dutch Fork before getting to the final 4. But here is my picks for the final 4. Dutch Fork n Ft Dorchester. Wouldn’t surprise me that game would come to be a triller. On the other side I’m liking Gaffney n Dorman but Gaffney has been a little shakey. Dorman should have beaten Gaffney the last time they played. But who knows with the playoffs anything can happen. Could we see another rematch of Dorman n Dutch Fort rematch. I know Dorman would love to have that chance.

I hope you are right about Carolina Forest. After spending most of my life living in Newton growing up as a Red Devil and supporting the Devils at every opportunity, we moved our family to the Carolina Forest area back in September. My son is a Senior at Carolina Forest, he and I have been to every game. He has become friends with several of the players that are great kids. Dutch Fork will obviously be a tough task, hoping you are right about their chances. I have not personally seen DF play, so I only know what I hear about them.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I hope you are right about Carolina Forest. After spending most of my life living in Newton growing up as a Red Devil and supporting the Devils at every opportunity, we moved our family to the Carolina Forest area back in September. My son is a Senior at Carolina Forest, he and I have been to every game. He has become friends with several of the players that are great kids. Dutch Fork will obviously be a tough task, hoping you are right about their chances. I have not personally seen DF play, so I only know what I hear about them.
Best of luck to Carolina Forest and to your son. You never know what may happen in the playoffs.

Reactions: NCDevil94
2nd rd 5A bracket for this week.

Upper State
TL Hanna at Gaffney
Dorman at Northwestern

Lower State
Carolina Forest at Dutch Fork
River Bluff at Sumter

Tough 2nd rd games.

I think Dorman n Northwestern game could be a dog fight. I think Dorman prevails in this one. If I had my picks this would definitely be a game to see.

TL Hanna at Gaffney. I can see a hard fought game is this one. I think Gaffney prevails.

Carolina Forest at Dutch Fork. Should be a good one. This game will show the strength for each team. I think DF is favored in this one but Carolina Forest may give them a fit.

River Bluff at Sumter. I been back n forth with this game. Be honest a hard pick for me and I may eat crow on this one but I’m going to favor Sumter. But wouldn’t be surprised that River Bluff wins this one.

Last edited:
Correction I had Dorman at Sumter. Didn’t mean to put that. It’s River Bluff at Sumter..

What are the capacity restrictions on these games. Can anyone attend?
From what gathered you can go online to get tickets for the Dorman game but it will limited. How many I don’t know. Also for the TL Hanna n Gaffney game you can go online for tickets. How many and limitations I’m not sure. For other games that I’m not sure.

HT Scores
Northwestern 27 Dorman 14
TL Hanna 14 Gaffney 13
Dutch Fork 35 Carolina Forest 28
Sumter 13 River Bluff 7

Final 5A scores
Some tough games tonight. Went 2 for 2 on my predictions. Dorman trailed 17-7 at one point but manage to get back in the game. But would lose by 6. Gaffney fell behind but came back only to miss a crucial extra point. Would lose by one. So here are the scores.

Northwestern 27 Dorman 21
TL Hanna 34 Gaffney 33
Dutch Fork 63 Carolina Forest 42
Sumter 25 River Bluff 13

Carolina Forest has an exceptionally good team. I would imagine they could be back in the hunt in the future to come.

The QB #11 Kyle Watkins is a hidden gem. Very good student in the classroom with a 4.03 GPA. He is a dual threat QB, very dangerous runner, strong accurate arm. He has some smaller school offers, maybe leaning towards Wofford right now, but this kid needs D1 offers. He has been the best player on the field in every Carolina Forest game, and he was again tonight against Dutch Fork.

Last edited:
Didn’t/Don't Carolina Forest play an annual non conference game against Hoggard? I seem to remember the games being mainly a split or Hoggard with a slight series edge. Portcity any more specific series details on Carolina Forest vs Hoggard?

Didn’t/Don't Carolina Forest play an annual non conference game against Hoggard? I seem to remember the games being mainly a split or Hoggard with a slight series edge. Portcity any more specific series details on Carolina Forest vs Hoggard?
I did pull up on internet and found they played at least back until 2016. I had seen where Carolina Forest won all of those but unsure about 2017 where it mentioned the game had been postponed because of Hurricane Irma. Not sure how that game turned out. Also I’m not sure if they played before 2016. Also Chris Hughes had a site on Carolina Preps that had team’s history of their scores and when they played. That was my go to site when I wanted to know when they played and the scores. But somehow the site that had team history got lost.

Last edited:
Down to the semis of 5A bracket

8-0 Sumter at 8-0 Dutch Fork
Will Dutch Fork make it in for another title or will Sumter spoil their chances

7-0 TL Hanna at 7-0 Northwestern
Personally I think this will be a very good game. Possibly a score difference. We will see. I’m sure a lot of eyes will be on this game.

Carolina Forest beat them 14 to 13 at Hoggard in 2018. Hoggard scored with 21 seconds left in game but extra point to send in to OT was missed.

NCDevil94,

Knotts and Dutch Fork are known for passing the ball. I saw a few highlights of the game and it appeared the DF QB had a huge game rushing himself. Was this my design on called running plays or did he just have particular luck running out of the pocket when pressure was applied while trying to pass. I dont recall Knotts ever having a particularly great runner at QB. Its always been about passing.

Mark Barnes vs Tommy Knotts. 2 NC greats
While he may not be at the same level as Barnes & Knotts, Carolina Forest’s Marc Morris is another NC coach that has some state championship games on his resume and a NC state title. He went to CFHS about 7-8 years ago and turned them into a state power. I used to go watch them from time to time because I had friends with kids at CF and they are a completely different program now than they were a decade or so ago. They’re tough now, their only losses this year were to Dutch Fork and at Sumter in OT.

NCDevil94,

Knotts and Dutch Fork are known for passing the ball. I saw a few highlights of the game and it appeared the DF QB had a huge game rushing himself. Was this my design on called running plays or did he just have particular luck running out of the pocket when pressure was applied while trying to pass. I dont recall Knotts ever having a particularly great runner at QB. Its always been about passing.

Have not been to a game but it is my understanding the O line has struggled which may be why the QB was running. They have struggled a bit with the running game at times. Current QB can spin it snd is a big time prospect.

Reactions: UNC91
Final
Dutch Fork shuts out Sumter 24-0 and will return for 5th in a row for another State Championship game.
TL Hanna wins in a triller over Northwestern 28-24. I figure that game would be a good one and probably decided by a score. Dutch Fork will matchup with TL Hanna. My understanding is Dutch Fork has another Hyatt player that plays at WR position and only a sophomore. More later.

NCDevil94,

There were a few read options plays where he kept the ball, but most of his damage was done scrambling and breaking big runs, this is ultimately what won the game for DF. The QB is a big time athlete, and is committed to Clemson, his name is Will Taylor. The kid is a great athlete/player. I will say that the best player on the field was QB #11 Kyle Watkins of CF, who has been the best player on the field in every CF game this year. Kyle ran for 275 yards and 4 touchdowns, while throwing for 180 yards and two touchdowns, for a total of 455 yards and 6 touchdowns against a great team in Dutch Fork. Kyle is receiving offers but has not landed an offer from a big time D1 school. Hopefully it happens, because the kid definitely can play at that level, a hidden gem with a 4.03 GPA. I am talking up Kyle because he is a GREAT kid that is somehow being missed.

Last edited:
Final
Dutch Fork shuts out Sumter 24-0 and will return for 5th in a row for another State Championship game.
TL Hanna wins in a triller over Northwestern 28-24. I figure that game would be a good one and probably decided by a score. Dutch Fork will matchup with TL Hanna. My understanding is Dutch Fork has another Hyatt player that plays at WR position and only a sophomore. More later.

Yes, I can tell you that there is another Hyatt kid, and he is very talented.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT