ADVERTISEMENT

#5 Lincolnton @ #1 East Lincoln

Linkman

Jun 14, 2009
Let's get the thread going for this Lincoln County showdown.

I wish this meeting would have been in the 4th round but the brackets didn't turn out that way. East Lincoln won 49-27 in the first meeting. Lincolnton didn't play their best in that one.... got off to a bad start fumbling the ball away on their 2nd play from scrimmage and on their 2nd possession had a penalty and got stopped on downs. EL took advantage and went up 14-0 right out of the gate. It was tough for the Wolves to play catch up with their ball control offense, especially with EL playing an error free game (no turnovers). .

I look for a much closer game this time around. However, to win Lincolnton can't make the offensive mistakes they made last time and they need to at least slow down the EL offense a little bit. Can't let them score every time they have the ball....need to stop them a couple of times.
This post was edited on 11/23 9:49 PM by Linkman

The Mustangs played, not just error-free, but an almost perfect game. Brutal to watch! Their receivers dropped nothing, ran good routes, the QB was untouchable and they never even bobbled the ball. Add good defense and special teams.

Lincolnton fumbled...kicked the ball to the 40 yard line on every kickoff, ran up the middle on every play, played no pass defense, and couldn't get to the QB.

If we have a repeat performance on all counts...it will be a long night for the Wolves. If we clean up some of our mistakes, and East makes some, Lincolnton advances.

My heart says that it's a good night for the Wolves... 35-28.

Two teams playing their best football right now as they should be this time of year. It's always great to still be playing on Friday after thanksgiving. I believe Lincolnton is playing a lot better then when these two teams met the first time. East Lincoln has also shown improvement week to week. So I think the team that makes the fewest mistakes takes this one. This would have made a great round 4 game, for I see the winner of this one going all the way. This game will be a war with both teams letting it all hangout, for there is no more football for one of these fine teams next week. Pulling for the Mustangs win by a score of 35 to 27. Good luck to both teams and let's hope for no injuries.

Subsailor, that's a really good post.I wish you were one of ours instead of Eeeee,wait a minute.Eeeee. Whew. I'll try it again after while.
happy.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Lincolnton:
Subsailor, that's a really good post.I wish you were one of ours instead of Eeeee,wait a minute.Eeeee. Whew. I'll try it again after while.
happy.r191677.gif
Can't really give anymore analysis than what has been said. L-town has got to protect the ball first and foremost! Do not give EL extra possessions or let them steal an extra possession. The best thing to help the L-town DBs is for that big and athletic dline to step-up and apply constant pressure...EL is beatable....My heart and head agree...L-town springs the upset for Coach C.

Later!

Ok Lincolnton now in the good ole Navy we would call you a trainable person so let's try one more time, OK. It' EAASSST LIIINCOLLLLN #1, now I know you do it your reward would be 4 city lunch hotdogs!!!! Any way all kidding aside this has the possibility of being one heck of a football game. Friday night lights two county teams that do battle every time they play, a chance to play for the Western Conference Championship,you can't ask for anything better then that for a high school football game.

happy.r191677.gif
This game should be a great playoff match up and worth the effort and cost to get to. I'll help you out Mr. Lincolnton, East Lincoln will be the favorite and the pressure should more on them than the Wolves, solely because they are undefeated, seeded #1 in the brackets and it's said often, it's hard to beat a team twice in the same season.

Both teams are very well coached and have made it this far with great play and plenty of heart and tradition. I have to think EL should have the edge with playing at home and knowing they have defeated the Wolves prior to this week's game. I also fear the Lincolnton QB's questionable status may cause Lincolnton to revise strategy on both sides of the ball as Easter is a player than can affect many plays in the positive column for the Wolves.

Let's hope for a great game and one for the ages......Good luck to both teams and let's hope for an injury free game.

Cheerduck, thank you, my friend.I agree with you completely except I'm not sure about revising our strategy. Thanks for helping me say Eeee, well, you know what I mean... About J.Easter. I don't believe we would risk playing him if there's any signs of a concussion and I know our people wouldn't want him playing as health comes first. I know we appreciate all his efforts.

I hope you and the Cheerduck family have a good and memorable Thanksgiving. It's a very special day. I ask my Father, once, if any of our ancestors were pilgrims. Said he didn't think so but some might have been pillagers. Way to go buddy.
This post was edited on 11/24 11:26 AM by Lincolnton

GDG, I haven't heard anything but somebody will more than likely know something today.

Easter took a heck of a lick to his head and neck area in the game against Parkwood. I hope he is ok. He can be a difference maker in this game for Lincolnton. He provides some solid leadership on Offense and Defense for Lincolnton. Containing East Lincoln just usually dont happen. They run some type of fast break offense and seems like they are attempting to score in under a minute and if they dont then they will just punt it away and when they get it back try it again. Good Luck to both groups and cant wait to see this game.

I don't know any more than anyone else on here, but judging by Easter's body language on the sideline during the second half Friday, I think he'll be ready to go this week. If not, I think we'll miss him just as much, if not more, on defense. I'm just happy this one will be on Friday night instead of Saturday afternoon. That way we get more fans from both sides, both bands I assume, and a much better atmosphere in general than the first time around.

LTown, I agree that Easter would really be missed on defense as well as the offense. He did look good walking around and talking to all his teammates on the sideline the entire 2nd half. I never saw him sit down once and Coach C said Easter told him he was good in the locker room following the game.

Dameron really looked good running the ball last week. Every one knows about Roseboro with his size how hard he is to bring down but Dameron is also a load (5' 10', 220). After starting out the season slowly due to a nagging foot/ankle injury he has really come on the last few games....also doing a good job at LB. If Easter plays, this will be a healthier team than the first go around with EL. Neither Easter or Dameron were 100% at that time.

This post was edited on 11/24 2:45 PM by Linkman

This post was edited on 11/24 2:47 PM by Linkman

I heard that East Lincoln played last weeks game with out one of its top defensive players. I think due to being sick. Did not get the young mans name but when healthy I think they will stand a pretty good shot at anyone in the area. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by LTown Wolves:
I don't know any more than anyone else on here, but judging by Easter's body language on the sideline during the second half Friday, I think he'll be ready to go this week. If not, I think we'll miss him just as much, if not more, on defense. I'm just happy this one will be on Friday night instead of Saturday afternoon. That way we get more fans from both sides, both bands I assume, and a much better atmosphere in general than the first time around.
Don't jump the gun.............they might change the forecast to call for some drizzle and the game get moved again.

Originally posted by subsailorinva:
Ok Lincolnton now in the good ole Navy we would call you a trainable person so let's try one more time, OK. It' EAASSST LIIINCOLLLLN #1, now I know you do it your reward would be 4 city lunch hotdogs!!!! Any way all kidding aside this has the possibility of being one heck of a football game. Friday night lights two county teams that do battle every time they play, a chance to play for the Western Conference Championship,you can't ask for anything better then that for a high school football game.
Here Lincolnton let me help you. This is the correct way to say it LLLLEEAASST LIINCOLLLN!

Nooooo... That can't be, because y'all have a STAR player by the name of EAST-er... So we know y'all CAN say EAST!
Common now.... We know you can say LINCOLN other wise there's no LINCOLN-ton
Soooo, there Ya have it
Just picking....Good Luck to both teams.... No doubt, if they both play like we know they can~~~should be a heck of a game.

LOL, how do I get myself in these situations...OK I don't want to run afoul of LHSWolves, one of our best people, so here is Lllleast Llllincoln. There, that wasn't so bad. If I don't say it and he see's me at the game he'll make me say it.

And in deference to Tool Time Tam and Subsailorinva, who are both proud Mustangs , with good reason, it's Eeeeeeeeeast Llllllllincoln... ..Oooooooooh, lord, that hurts..... and yes, they're number 1, and they've earned it, but damnation, we've got to do something about it, come Friday.

You know, I'd bet they'll be so happy to see us they might even put up a welcome banner for our team and fans. Something warm, something cordial, something catchy. Something that shows the real Denver persona, maybe like "Once again, welcome to my house come freely, go safely and leave something of the happiness you bring". Yeah, something like that.

I look forward to Thanksgiving and our teams playing the day after. It's a good time of year. I went by the stadium, Monday evening, and our Wolves were practicing late. I know they'll be ready.

This post was edited on 11/25 2:30 AM by Lincolnton

link

LOL, how do I get myself in these situations...OK I don't want to run afoul of LHSWolves, one of our best people, so here is Lllleast Llllincoln. There, that wasn't so bad. If I don't say it and he see's me at the game he'll make me say it.

And in deference to Tool Time Tam and Subsailorinva, who are both proud Mustangs , with good reason, it's Eeeeeeeeeast Llllllllincoln... ..Oooooooooh, lord, that hurts..... and yes, they're number 1, and they've earned it, but damnation, we've got to do something about it, come Friday.

You know, I'd bet they'll be so happy to see us they might even put up a welcome banner for our team and fans. Something warm, something cordial, something catchy. Something that shows the real Denver persona, maybe like "Once again, welcome to my house come freely, go safely and leave something of the happiness you bring". Yeah, something like that.

I look forward to Thanksgiving and our teams playing the day after. It's a good time of year. I went by the stadium, Monday evening, and our Wolves were practicing late. I know they'll be ready.

roll.r191677.gif
A good way to look at the game!

Good post and good luck to the Wolves.

Seems like I remember Maiden saying the same things last year when we had our rematch in the playoffs.
wink.r191677.gif

Sorry I have to trash talk a little, what are rivalries for? To be honest I also expect a close game this time around. I think Lincolnton's problems in this matchup come from the differing styles. The Wolves will have to play more error free than we do simply because they will have the ball the majority of the time and have more opportunities to make mistakes that give away possessions. Whether that be through penalties, turnovers, busted plays or other bobbles.

Looking forward to the game
smile.r191677.gif

And in deference to Tool Time Tam and Subsailorinva, who are both proud Mustangs , with good reason, it's Eeeeeeeeeast Llllllllincoln... ..Oooooooooh, lord, that hurts..... and yes, they're number 1, and they've earned it, but damnation, we've got to do something about it, come Friday. "

Try some AJAX, Lincolnton. Maybe that'll take that off.

This is the another heavyweight match of the west in 2A/2AA. I think EL has Lincolnton's number though.

Chopper, maybe but I have seen Lincolnton improve its pass coverage and rush since the first game. They made a lot of changes to the secondary to include playing both ways.

Originally posted by AlwaysAWolf:

And in deference to Tool Time Tam and Subsailorinva, who are both proud Mustangs , with good reason, it's Eeeeeeeeeast Llllllllincoln... ..Oooooooooh, lord, that hurts..... and yes, they're number 1, and they've earned it, but damnation, we've got to do something about it, come Friday. "

AAW, I'm afraid it'll take more, but there's got to be a way to get it done.

Originally posted by AlwaysAWolf:

AAW, I'm afraid it'll take more, but there's got to be a way to get it done.
You can try adding some Clorox.

My friend, there's got to be a solution. It's like an algebra problem. Follow the basics then add, or multiply, divide or subtract on one side of the line and the same on the other until there's nothing left but a letter and a number. I just know it can be done.
nerd.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 11/26 8:07 AM by Lincolnton

Originally posted by Gary29:
Seems like I remember Maiden saying the same things last year when we had our rematch in the playoffs.
wink.r191677.gif

Sorry I have to trash talk a little, what are rivalries for? To be honest I also expect a close game this time around. I think Lincolnton's problems in this matchup come from the differing styles. The Wolves will have to play more error free than we do simply because they will have the ball the majority of the time and have more opportunities to make mistakes that give away possessions. Whether that be through penalties, turnovers, busted plays or other bobbles.

Looking forward to the game
smile.r191677.gif
First let me say this...........Your aren't playing Maiden.........You are playing the Lincolnton Wolves.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Funny how every year you hear the same things over and over.
Well, I don't think you can bait any Lincolnton people into trash talk. We know the Mustangs are a great team and that it will take a very good game from Lincolnton to win. I know and the people that follow Lincolnton know the areas we have improved. Will that be enough who knows. The thing that bothers me is fumbles and penalties that put us in long downs. We can't afford to do that this week. We need to make the Mustangs stop us and not us stop ourselves. Then on defense we have to limit the mistakes and hopefully get a few turnovers.

Now Mr. Lincolnton we won't throw you out of the L-town family ........but see above that's a better way of saying it....Mustangs instead of that nasty word.
smile.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 11/25 11:03 PM by LHSWolves

This post was edited on 11/25 11:05 PM by LHSWolves

According to the Gazette and Coach Cloninger Easter is a go, glad the kid is ok because that was a vicious hit, should be a good game, well maybe. Glad to hear Liincolnton has improved, but if you are using beating newton and their spread offense your vote of confidence remember as much as coach beam has improved them I don't believe they beat a winning team all year and tied one and done Freedom.
To the game, for East to win, at any point if East makes two stops in a row and turns them into points I believe east wins this thing. Also what favors east is they have very few that play both ways, I believe last game Lincolnton was on fumes by the middle of the 3rd which is when EL pulled away. Cannot give up the big play, more plays they have to run more their difference makers have to take hits, like body shots to a heavyweight. I am excited for lincoln county somebody is going to represent in the regional championship and possibly state championship, whooooooo, is it Friday?

Good luck Lankerton

Is it Friday yet? Great matchup between two elite powerhouses in 2a. East lincoln can really throw the ball down the field while the wolves punch it on the ground down people's throats.This game has the recipe to be one of the best games in the State. The winner of this game will more than likely go on to win it all. Let's hope Qb Easter is ready to go!! Here's to an injury free game and great sportsmanship between the two teams. Prediction Lincolnfon 31 East lincoln 28 in a barn burner!!!

CM3- I assume the statements about improvement were intended for me. I do think they have improved in the secondary quite a bit. Enough to beat East, remains to be seen. Without pressure on the quarterback it will not matter how much the pass defense has improved. Too many burners with good hands at receiver.

As far as judging Lincolton's improvement on beating Newton badly, no sir. That is not the basis, but they did shut down Newton's pass better than any other team.

As to Newton-Conover, yes it is true that they did not beat any team with a winning record. You stated it and I restated it, so it's out there. If not for Coach Beam we would have been 2-9 again because these were basically the same kids from the previous year with a few basketball kids added. But Beam did a great job with the kids he had and has improved the football culture.

Originally posted by Godevilsgo:
CM3- I assume the statements about improvement were intended for me. I do think they have improved in the secondary quite a bit. Enough to beat East, remains to be seen. Without pressure on the quarterback it will not matter how much the pass defense has improved. Too many burners with good hands at receiver.

As far as judging Lincolton's improvement on beating Newton badly, no sir. That is not the basis, but they did shut down Newton's pass better than any other team.

As to Newton-Conover, yes it is true that they did not beat any team with a winning record. You stated it and I restated it, so it's out there. If not for Coach Beam we would have been 2-9 again because these were basically the same kids from the previous year with a few basketball kids added. But Beam did a great job with the kids he had and has improved the football culture.
The highlighted portion above is probably the most important aspect for Lincolnton defensively...If you can get pressure (especially up the middle). Number two would be sure tackling...because YAC generates EL's big plays. As I stated earlier in this thread....commit no turnovers, eat the clock, and score everytime you have the ball.

Later!

L-Town fan just to add to that. Getting pressure is not enough against the Mustangs. Once you get that pressure you have to contain the QB.

"According to the Gazette and Coach Cloninger Easter is a go"...
Excerpt from East Lincoln poster CM3

I took it as more cautious and tentative. I left the link in case anyone wants to read it. Scroll down to the subheading, "injuries".

This post was edited on 11/26 10:02 PM by Lincolnton

Gaston Gazette:Can East Hold Off The Wolves, Again

I had no doubt he would be playing.
That's why they wrote in the paper, he was in street clothes on the sideline and appeared to be fine after the game. As well as writing in the paper ...He said he was good to go!
Let's hope for his sake he is. I'll never forget our game against Starmount, I believe 3 round as well when their QB and a EAST player had some contact, and broke his neck. Needless to say, his life has been forever altered. He wore a HALO for a very long time, lost his scholarship to App. State. Sad situation no matter how you look at it.
We did raise money for him at EL to help with medical expenses. He also came to 3 or 4 of our home games the following year, and came to our State Championship Game. He has been such a inspiration, says God had different plans for him other than Football.
With that being said, time will tell if EASTER is healthy. I'm glad he's playing though.
Good Luck to both Teams and hope for a injury FREE game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT