ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Harrells basketball position

A month ago I had heard that they had someone who grew up in the Clinton area and wanted to come "home" but could not convince the wife to move. Off the cuff I had heard another pretty prominent name mentioned that will go uncalled as I had a hard time believing this person would make the move. Friend, as of last week, said they still had not hired a replacement. Am surprised that the JV coach Dean Wells is not having his arm twisted.

HARRELLS – Harrells Christian Academy has hired Travis Pait as its new men’s varsity basketball coach. Pait will also serve as men’s junior varsity football head coach and teach physical education at the school.

After a final record of 16-11 and a trip to the second round of the NCISAA 2A playoffs, Wayne Cannady decided to hang up his coaching whistle citing the need to spend more time with his family. Cannady served as the varsity men’s basketball coach for four seasons, as well as several years coaching at the junior varsity level.

The varsity men’s basketball team returns just two starters, but that does not diminish Pait’s enthusiasm for the job, “I feel this is a great opportunity for me, and I feel Harrells Christian’s athletic program is definitely on the rise. My goals are to improve overall as a team, focus on a winning season, stay at the top of the conference, and eventually become a state power. My biggest goal for the HCA program is to instill that our players become men and that they are to do things the right way.”

Pait has coached basketball for 10 years, including his last stint at South Robeson High School, where Pait led them to a winning record of 15-12 and a second round playoff berth. Both accomplishments were feats that had not been achieved in the previous eight seasons at South Robeson.

Before coaching at South Robeson High School, Pait served as an assistant at Saint Paul’s High School for 1 year and Bladenboro High School for 1 year. For two years, Pait also assisted in building the basketball program at Cape Fear Community College, and was a student manager and student assistant at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington under Jerry Wainwright and Brad Brownell. Pait played high school basketball at Bladenboro High School, where he helped lead his team to a state championship.

Coach Pait hopes to play an up-tempo style of basketball involving a motion offense and man-to-man defense. “It will depend on the personnel that we have in place, which will be the determining factor in what we do on the court. I feel that I can adjust my strategy according to the attributes of our players.” Harrells Christian will tentatively open their season at home against Wake Christian Academy on Tuesday, November 21st.

I just happened to check out this message, and was surprised to see Pait had joined Harrell's. Its a strange set of circumstances that I know of him, but I got to see several of his practices and games while he was at South Robeson. Based on what I saw, he’s probably one of the best coaches in the high school ranks anywhere. His practices were strong and to the point, he’s a foundation builder, plays intelligent basketball and accepts nothing but 110% all the time. Clearly that’s the way he coaches, so he expects that of his players too.

Pait could coach at any 4A Basketball program and excel. He won’t accept any half hearted commitment on the court and I will guarantee this team will learn how to play smart aggressive defense and out class their opponents. One thing for certain, the Harrell’s boys better pack their lunch, because this program just got turned up to the next level.

Has anyone heard anything about Harrells losing their center?

Coach Pait is an excellent basketball coach. In my opinion Harrell’s is fortunate to have landed him and speaks well for whoever did the recruiting. Most anyone who knows Coach Pait are quick to acknowledge the quality and technical skill he brings to a basket program. He is a about the most straightforward individual I have ever met, doesn’t mix words and clearly means what he says. He’s evenhanded and uncompromising to a fault. Best of all he could be very successful at the college level and prep 4A and 3A levels.

The only question I have is Harrell’s tough enough to play his style of basketball. Coach Pait always has his teams able to compete, both physically and mentally. He knows that strong defense, solid execution and stalwart physical presence are central foundations to developing a good program. So if these Harrell’s kid can make the commitment, Coach Pait can take them where they want to go.

Good luck with the program.

This post was edited on 11/21 5:44 PM by SE Black Birdif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT