ADVERTISEMENT

3AA West Discussion Board

PatrickO'Brien

Gold Member
Nov 12, 2012
We want to hear everyone's thoughts on the first round of the playoffs. Let the discussion begin right here.

16 Central Cabarrus (6-5) @ 1 Asheville (10-1)
9 North Forsyth (5-6) @ 8 Cox Mill (6-5)
12 South Iredell (6-5) @ 5 Weddington (10-1)
13 AC Reynolds (6-5) @ 4 Erwin (9-1)
14 Sun Valley (6-5) @ 3 Statesville (7-4)
11 Ledford (7-4) @ 6 Hickory Ridge (9-2)
10 Marvin Ridge (3-7) @ 7 Asheboro (8-3)
15 Ashbrook (5-6) @ 2 Cuthbertson (8-3)

Looks really week with the exception of Asheville, Erwin, and Weddington. ACR might make some noise too. Asheville could have a very easy trip to Raleigh with Crest moved down.

Originally posted by PatrickO'Brien:
We want to hear everyone's thoughts on the first round of the playoffs. Let the discussion begin right here.

16 Central Cabarrus (6-5) @ 1 Asheville (10-1)
9 North Forsyth (5-6) @ 8 Cox Mill (6-5)
12 South Iredell (6-5) @ 5 Weddington (10-1)
13 AC Reynolds (6-5) @ 4 Erwin (9-1)
14 Sun Valley (6-5) @ 3 Statesville (7-4)
11 Ledford (7-4) @ 6 Hickory Ridge (9-2)
10 Marvin Ridge (3-7) @ 7 Asheboro (8-3)
15 Ashbrook (5-6) @ 2 Cuthbertson (8-3)
Here in the mountains former Tuscola coach coming back to WNC to take on a Asheville team he has never beat.Big game in mountains is Erwin and Reyonlds round two.

I haven't followed Statesville much this year, but from seeing them last year in the second round.... Ramseur is the real deal! If he gets hot I like them to come out of the bottom half of this bracket. If ACR plays up to their potential with a white hot offense, don't count them out. Asheville and Weddington are the favorites though. Especially Asheville with an easy draw, they are guaranteed to get to the third round.

I don't understand where people are getting that the 3AA West is weak.

Asheville, Reynolds, Erwin, Weddington. These are 4 teams that will smack you in the mouth with no quit in them.....not one bit. There is no cake walk here. I can guarantee you by the time these teams are done beating the snot out of each other, it will be the 3AA East winner that has the upper hand. Look for plenty of injuries in at least 4 games in our bracket, not from dirty play, but from hard nosed, smash mouth football.

Have to agree with you there, Cougar. I hear Weddington has a nasty D that will hit you in the mouth. Injuries in the playoffs are not what you want, obviously but these kids will get dinged up. Who is tough enough to withstand the pounding and overcome injuries... only time will tell. Looking forward to our first round match up this week. Is it Friday yet?

RECORD BREAKDOWN -Tuscola HS 2008 Season
Change Season
Overall
Conference
Totals
Averages
W L T PCT W L T PCT PF PA SO PF PA +/-
11 2 0 0.846 5 1 0 0.833 431 240 0 33.15 18.46 14.69
SCHEDULE
Date Opponent Type Result
Fri Aug 22 East Henderson (East Flat Rock, NC) W 36-7
Fri Aug 29 Brevard (Brevard, NC) W 49-28
Fri Sep 05 Pisgah (Canton, NC) W 28-10
Fri Sep 19 Reynolds, A.C. (Asheville, NC) W 17-14
Fri Sep 26 Erwin, Clyde A. (Asheville, NC) Conference W 22-14
Fri Oct 03 Smoky Mountain (Sylva, NC) W 56-7
Fri Oct 10 Franklin (Franklin, NC) Conference W 45-18
Fri Oct 17 North Buncombe (Weaverville, NC) Conference W 24-21
Fri Oct 24 Asheville (Asheville, NC) Conference W 34-13
Fri Oct 31 Enka (Candler, NC) Conference W 59-14
Fri Nov 07 Roberson, T.C. (Asheville, NC) Conference L 20-49
Sat Nov 15 Huss, Hunter (Gastonia, NC) Playoff W 31-14
Fri Nov 21 Asheville (Asheville, NC) Playoff L 10-31

I thought they had beaten Asheville once. found it on CP. Asheville returned the favor in the playoffs in the 2nd round.
All-Time Records
Have an addition or see an error? Email Us

Originally posted by Rocket Pride:
I haven't followed Statesville much this year, but from seeing them last year in the second round.... Ramseur is the real deal! If he gets hot I like them to come out of the bottom half of this bracket. If ACR plays up to their potential with a white hot offense, don't count them out. Asheville and Weddington are the favorites though. Especially Asheville with an easy draw, they are guaranteed to get to the third round.

I agree it could happen if he got hot. I could also easily see us flaming out in the first round if we don't show up ready to play. I think the top half of the west in 3AA is much harder for what its worth.

I like our chances. All our losses have been to 4A schools. Not many teams could beat the likes of West Forysth, Mooresville, and Lake Norman.

Originally posted by Coach's Son:
RECORD BREAKDOWN -Tuscola HS 2008 Season
Change Season
Overall
Conference
Totals
Averages
W L T PCT W L T PCT PF PA SO PF PA +/-
11 2 0 0.846 5 1 0 0.833 431 240 0 33.15 18.46 14.69
SCHEDULE
Date Opponent Type Result
Fri Aug 22 East Henderson (East Flat Rock, NC) W 36-7
Fri Aug 29 Brevard (Brevard, NC) W 49-28
Fri Sep 05 Pisgah (Canton, NC) W 28-10
Fri Sep 19 Reynolds, A.C. (Asheville, NC) W 17-14
Fri Sep 26 Erwin, Clyde A. (Asheville, NC) Conference W 22-14
Fri Oct 03 Smoky Mountain (Sylva, NC) W 56-7
Fri Oct 10 Franklin (Franklin, NC) Conference W 45-18
Fri Oct 17 North Buncombe (Weaverville, NC) Conference W 24-21
Fri Oct 24 Asheville (Asheville, NC) Conference W 34-13
Fri Oct 31 Enka (Candler, NC) Conference W 59-14
Fri Nov 07 Roberson, T.C. (Asheville, NC) Conference L 20-49
Sat Nov 15 Huss, Hunter (Gastonia, NC) Playoff W 31-14
Fri Nov 21 Asheville (Asheville, NC) Playoff L 10-31

I thought they had beaten Asheville once. found it on CP. Asheville returned the favor in the playoffs in the 2nd round.
All-Time Records
Have an addition or see an error? Email Us
Yeah you're right I missed that one.

Asheville by 17
Cox Mill by 10
Weddington by 21
ACR by 14
Statesville by 17
Ledford by 7
Asheboro by 20
Cuthbertson by 10

Originally posted by Champ_24:
I like our chances. All our losses have been to 4A schools. Not many teams could beat the likes of West Forysth, Mooresville, and Lake Norman.
roll.r191677.gif

How good is Cuthbertson?

Ashbrook is an oddball team. Lots of talent and the potential to beat anyone. Or for a half they might look great. Lots of athletes. I wouldn't count on Ashbrook doing anything, but they've got the talent that could make a higher seed look really bad if they actually played to their potential.

Originally posted by No Dog in the Fight:
How good is Cuthbertson?

Ashbrook is an oddball team. Lots of talent and the potential to beat anyone. Or for a half they might look great. Lots of athletes. I wouldn't count on Ashbrook doing anything, but they've got the talent that could make a higher seed look really bad if they actually played to their potential.
Cuthbertson has a QB bound for Tennessee, gave Weddington their only loss of the season and is riding a 7 game winning streak.

Does anybody know anything about Central Cabarrus? I saw they have lost 5 of their last 7 but I heard they have some good athletes.

Word is that they lost several key players including their running back, best receiver, defensive backs, kicker, a couple of starting linemen, etc. Saw that on the other site a couple of weeks ago.

Cougar, One day you will get DKJ at full strength. That will be fun. Good luck to your Cougs.

Originally posted by volfan1219:
I guess he was never at full strength when he was at Tuscola with a D-1 QB?

volfan, not trying to be a smart ass. The Cougars are the real deal. Just saying that of the times you saw DKJ and the Mounties, some of the time they were not at full strength. You and I know that a DKJ team at full strength is a handful.

I'm heading to Cougar stadium wrapped up like a mummy.

Good luck to all the mountain teams tonight especially in the MAC.

Reynolds, Erwin, North Buncombe, TC, McDowell, Pisgah, Tuscola, Freedom, ect. Make us proud guys!

Yes, they is a few of us here dat tanks we can win.

I think Asheville, Weddington, Reynolds, or Cuthbertson all have a shot. The east always has good athletes and coaching but they don't walk on water.

Originally posted by COUGAR-90:

I think Asheville, Weddington, Reynolds, or Cuthbertson all have a shot. The east always has good athletes and coaching but they don't walk on water.
None of those teams can beat NG or Southern Durham, unless they have some injuries before the states. Let's be realistic. I know you got to have hope. But none of those teams even have been tested this year like those 2 teams have all year. The schedules do not even compare. I know own any given night one can win, but all things being equal, I am taking the east.

Newbie, no disrespect intended, but I hope the winner in the east comes into the championship game with the same attitude that you have. Nothing, and I mean nothing gets a team pumped up like being the underdog.

Originally posted by newbie:

None of those teams can beat NG or Southern Durham, unless they have some injuries before the states. Let's be realistic. I know you got to have hope. But none of those teams even have been tested this year like those 2 teams have all year. The schedules do not even compare. I know own any given night one can win, but all things being equal, I am taking the east.
Give me a break. The East always gets the benefit of the doubt. The fact is the top of the West is always close to, if not better than, the east from 3-AA on down. Where the east separates itself is in the 4-A and especially 4-AA where, despite being in the same classification, the enrollment numbers have a huge gap between the Charlotte schools and the rest of the state. I guess we'll just have to wait and see for this one.

Rocket Pride, I honestly don't think the east has any idea how balanced and tuff the west teams are this year. I'm not worried about the east one bit. My main concern right now is making it through this Friday night and hoping the the west teams don't kill each other on the way to the ship. I think all 4 teams I listed from the west has a damn good chance at bringing home a ring.

Good luck to your Rockets this Friday night.

Rocket Pride, I honestly don't think the east has any idea how balanced and tuff the west teams are this year. I'm not worried about the east one bit. My main concern right now is making it through this Friday night and hoping the the west teams don't kill each other on the way to the ship. I think all 4 teams I listed from the west has a damn good chance at bringing home a ring.

Good luck to your Rockets this Friday night.
I guess they think they play in the SEC West.... might as well hand them the title now.
flush.r191677.gif

I may be a stupid hillbilly from the mountains, but I would like to think I know a good football team when I see one and these west teams aren't bad, boys.

I'm right there with ya cougar! We've got a tough one this week. Looking forward to it. Take it to Cox Mill this week and I hope to see y'all in the third round.

Mountain boys hit harder!

I hate to say it but the West isn't within 2 scores of the East this year in 3AA. I pull for all the western teams in the big games but it's not looking good.

Yeah, we know we're all underdogs in the west. Asheville hasn't been to the ship since 2005 and brought back a ring. That being said, even if we don't have a snowballs chance in hell we're gonna give it our best shot. Win or lose the east will know they've been in a dog fight when we're done.

Newbie, no disrespect intended, but I hope the winner in the east comes into the championship game with the same attitude that you have. Nothing, and I mean nothing gets a team pumped up like being the underdog.
I am a western guy, but I think whoever comes out of the west has not been challenge as much as those SD or NG. Look who they have played week in and week out and look at the schedules of the teams that we are expecting to put up a fight. Now if, my team was there playing, I would have confidence we could get it done too. But, I did watch SD and that QB comeback on Crest last year and he seems to be doing it again.

^^Some good points ^^

But right now we're just going to focus on Cox Mill. One game at a time and enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts. If we win Friday we'll game plan for either Reynolds or Weddington. After that, who knows?

I've watched enough Hollywood football movies to know all us little guys still have a chance at a miracle.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT