ADVERTISEMENT

3AA Football State Championship: Southern Durham (12-3) vs Shelby Crest (15-0) Part 2

I watched the SD/Cleveland playoff game. I don't know anything about Cleveland. I was not impressed with SD. They had 2 punt returns for TD. 2 qb scramble hail mary's for td. Not a whole lot in between. Brown only touched the ball a few times. You could tell. He is a special athlete. If he plays QB ? I would expect a lot of read option.(Brown keeping most of the time ) QB draws On pass plays. The biggest threat will be Brown scrambling for big yards. They will not .Line up and run at us with any success. They will not sit in the pocket and pass a lot on us. Their Defense knows not what is coming.

lmao. Man I might go see this game. This one is getting UFC hype !!! Both Brown and Harbison are excellent players by the way.

State Championship game was played two weeks ago when Southern beat Orange. The Big 8 is a Bad A$$ Conference. If Southern was not here Orange would have been. Southern will soon be Two-Time Champs.

What's kind of crap have you been smoking, just watching orange and southern play and the way southern is giving up yards to that wing T they are in trouble when they have to prepare for a team that can pass and run both of these teams you be 4th and 5th in our league behind Crest Shelby and KM oh wow all 3 Cleveland County teams!

I'm watching. I am impressed with Southerns fan base. All eight of them.The better be tightened up. That wing T is slow and awful.

Yeah there not enough people in the stands to be parents for all the players, if this is the best 2 the east has to offer like this clown said its going to be a long day!

I see that your QB has nice stats throwing the football very impressive. Then I saw his rushing yards ouch only 0.9 yards per carry if Maxpreps is correct. If he can't move around in the
Pocket he will get punished big time. Also Tre looks like your only running threat what your coaching staff doesn't feature any other RB's? Our offense we spread the wealth around. First string QB goes down who has thrown for over 30
Tds and has rushed for several more goes down the backup comes in and throws deep balls right on the money. Second string QB gets hurt then the third string comes in and throws for 170 and runs for about the same amount. That's called player development and next man up no excuses on our side period. Man I can't wait until Sat y'all Western Shut the whole town down for a football game Credt fans are in for a rude awakening this Saturday oh man!!!!

Yea. You spread it around for a whole 19 points last week. That's big time. This week you get what you want.

Reactions: cagle89
I wouldn't call substituting players for injured ones "spreading the wealth". If so I bet you guys will get to spread it some more Saturday.

I see that your QB has nice stats throwing the football very impressive. Then I saw his rushing yards ouch only 0.9 yards per carry if Maxpreps is correct. If he can't move around in the
Pocket he will get punished big time. Also Tre looks like your only running threat what your coaching staff doesn't feature any other RB's? Our offense we spread the wealth around. First string QB goes down who has thrown for over 30
Tds and has rushed for several more goes down the backup comes in and throws deep balls right on the money. Second string QB gets hurt then the third string comes in and throws for 170 and runs for about the same amount. That's called player development and next man up no excuses on our side period. Man I can't wait until Sat y'all Western Shut the whole town down for a football game Credt fans are in for a rude awakening this Saturday oh man!!!!

Reactions: Godevilsgo

Your football team is going to have a bad day Saturday and after reading your post on here your going to get an education on real football!

I watched the SD/Cleveland playoff game. I don't know anything about Cleveland. I was not impressed with SD. They had 2 punt returns for TD. 2 qb scramble hail mary's for td. Not a whole lot in between. Brown only touched the ball a few times. You could tell. He is a special athlete. If he plays QB ? I would expect a lot of read option.(Brown keeping most of the time ) QB draws On pass plays. The biggest threat will be Brown scrambling for big yards. They will not .Line up and run at us with any success. They will not sit in the pocket and pass a lot on us. Their Defense knows not what is coming.
I think this will be a great game, but your highly underestimating southern durham, and you should be hoping that your team isnt either. This team will do whatever it takes to win, this team does not fold under pressure they thrive under it, if crest sleeps on southern durham they will be down early and late.

And i know this topic is old, but in no way shape form or fashion did the crest chargers give up that 21 point lead, it was stripped from them, i was on the team that 2013 southern durham squad, and i remember watching film and thinking that ya did not have a chance. The only reason it was semi close is because in the first half our qb was nervous under those lights, and i can understand why, this was the first time in history that our school has got there, you would expect the team that has been there before to get to a hot start, but that 2013 squad was fantastic and deserves the rings they wear

And i know this topic is old, but in no way shape form or fashion did the crest chargers give up that 21 point lead, it was stripped from them, i was on the team that 2013 southern durham squad, and i remember watching film and thinking that ya did not have a chance. The only reason it was semi close is because in the first half our qb was nervous under those lights, and i can understand why, this was the first time in history that our school has got there, you would expect the team that has been there before to get to a hot start, but that 2013 squad was fantastic and deserves the rings they wear

Yes you do deserve your rings. I agree with you. In the second half SD took it. No problem whatsoever typing it and anyone that says different is a liar. But, the game was close because in the first half Tre ran through you. Not so much in the second half. Great adjustments on a one dimensional team. I did wonder what film the coaches had watched leading up to the game. In any case, SD earned that ring, no doubt.

I do think you'll find that this years Crest team is a tad different.

Crest will not overlook SD. Please dont mistake our confidence for cockiness. These kids know what needs to be done. We were one dimensional in 2013 but we are far from that now.

Good to know, finals on friday i should definitely be studying, but it is going to be great game looking forward to it. GO SPARTANS!!!

Should be a great game. Both teams are extremely talented. Want an in-depth look at the game? Tune into ktcbroadcasting.com, WCSL-AM, WOHS-AM or WLON-AM Friday from 5:30 - 7pm.

While I do respect SD. You don't get to the ship. Without being a very good team. I know very little about SD. I have watched 2 games on cable. I'm sorry. I'm not impressed. Brown is an exceptional athlete . We stop Brown....Game over. The 2013 game was a gimme in my opinion You didn't take anything. I am old. My memory is not great.
We ran all over you in the first half. Your QB did look nervous. He settled in on the last drive of the first half. Played a great 3rd. Stormed into the lead in the 4th. Here's where my memory disagrees with (you took it ) We took the lead with 1.08 left in the game. I don't believe 1 SD fan (or player) was celebrating a win. 1 MIN. and 80 yds to win.You threw a 5yd. slant ???????? Hey. It worked out . 9 times out of 10. YOU LOSE.....Congrats.....STRAP EM ON TIGHT ...

While I do respect SD. You don't get to the shi/p. Without being a very good team. I know very little about SD. I have watched 2 games on cable. I'm sorry. I'm not impressed. Brown is an exceptional athlete . We stop Brown....Game over. The 2013 game was a gimme in my opinion You didn't take anything. I am old. My memory is not great.
We ran all over you in the first half. Your QB did look nervous. He settled in on the last drive of the first half. Played a great 3rd. Stormed into the lead in the 4th. Here's where my memory disagrees with (you took it ) We took the lead with 1.08 left in the game. I don't believe 1 SD fan (or player) was celebrating a win. 1 MIN. and 80 yds to win.You threw a 5yd. slant ???????? Hey. It worked out . 9 times out of 10. YOU LOSE.....Congrats.....STRAP EM ON TIGHT ...
Well that is not how it really went down, you have everything about right up until our last possession, no we were not celebrating but we weren't really nervous either. The play for us to keep the lead was suppose to be a curl if i remember correctly, but the crest corner slipped which broke free jordon brown, who got a great block by maruice trowell and jb ran it in for the score. We than went for two and converted, and got an interception to seal it. We were the better team which is why 9/10 we would have won.

You're not the best team this year......but I guess you could win

Somebody clarify for me. Was not the final score 37-31. There was no play to KEEP the lead. You were LOSING . 31-30 YES the db slipped allowing JB to turn a 5 yd play into a 80 YD. TD.
AM I DELUSIONAL ????? ?

It was 38 to 31 final. We took the lead on a long Trejo fg and then they threw the short pass and corner fell down and then the long td. If i remember correctly we blitzed on the play leaving single coverage and he fell down. I hate prevent defense but at least we should of had our safeties deep. If D Rose had not of torn his acl in a scrimmage earlier that year he would of been back there.also we were driving on our way back to tie it up and got a bull crap holding call on a wr that would of put us in their territory with some time left. We donated that game to SD. We made no adjustments after halftime.

Your right, Willie can't move around in the pocket at all, and Harbison is the only offensive threat we have...... Come Saturday night/Sunday we either will not see you on here anymore, or you will be eating a ton of crow. Which one is it going to be?

Want to give a shout out to the Chargers. Those loudmouth obnoxious inbreds have made SP strive to be better over the past years. We need competition like the Chargers to challenge ourselves to meet our potential each year. Sure they are toothless, knuckle dragging, sister loving jerks, but the Raiders are pulling for them to win 3AA on Saturday. That will make it more fun when we put you back in your place in seasons to come. Go Raiders, Go Chargers!

It was 38 to 31 final. We took the lead on a long Trejo fg and then they threw the short pass and corner fell down and then the long td. If i remember correctly we blitzed on the play leaving single coverage and he fell down. I hate prevent defense but at least we should of had our safeties deep. If D Rose had not of torn his acl in a scrimmage earlier that year he would of been back there.also we were driving on our way back to tie it up and got a bull crap holding call on a wr that would of put us in their territory with some time left. We donated that game to SD. We made no adjustments after halftime.

I don't recall a corner falling down I recall the back I think slipping out of the back field and for about the 3rd big gain of the 2nd half no Crest corner even covered him or knew he was on the field and that was about the 3rd time they had run that play in the 2nd half but the last time when he caught the ball someone missed and tackle and he got 2 crushing Crack back blocks running down the sidelines for the winning TD!

Once again, this game will be over at halftime. If Crest loses this game then I'm sure this would be the biggest upset in history. Crest will be able to have their way with the run and pass. SD defense flys to the ball I understand that but Crest will run the ball right down their throat. Oh and by the way, if you plan to run man to man coverage against Crest you will be EXPOSED! Ask Concord and Kings Mountain about that. SD hasn't seen a fast/physical team like Crest so they will be in for a rude of awakening Saturday.

49-7 CREST

Somebody clarify for me. Was not the final score 37-31. There was no play to KEEP the lead. You were LOSING . 31-30 YES the db slipped allowing JB to turn a 5 yd play into a 80 YD. TD.
AM I DELUSIONAL ????? ?[/QUO
yea you may be because
I don't recall a corner falling down I recall the back I think slipping out of the back field and for about the 3rd big gain of the 2nd half no Crest corner even covered him or knew he was on the field and that was about the 3rd time they had run that play in the 2nd half but the last time when he caught the ball someone missed and tackle and he got 2 crushing Crack back blocks running down the sidelines for the winning TD!
Well thats just not how it happen at all lol

Best of luck to the Souljahs of Southern Durham.
P.S. What's the all time record when these two squads compete in gridiron competition ?

23BB75FE00000578-0-image-a-65_1417690830633.jpg

Souljahs of Southern Durham after the 1st quarter!

Let me start by giving credit where credit is due, and that's to the ones who have dedicated countless hours to this sport, the coaching staffs and players from Crest and Southern Durham, job well done to both schools over the past three seasons.

To Crest, I think Coach Barnes deserves a lot of credit for going back to the drawing board after 2K13. He brought in a new DC, Coach Clark, who is now the head coach. Tweaked his scheme on both sides of the ball. Became a defense to boot, and became a more explosive offense by become multi-dimensional. This is definitely no where close to the 2K13 from a scheme prospective. Crest hasn't lost a game in two years. Last year they physically dominated Havelock in the Championship game, and therefore they are the Heavy Weight Champion in 3A, no question about it.

To my home town team Southern Durham, what can I say. For someone who loves this game it's been fun watching this team grow from August to December. This year's team had to replace 18 out of 21 starters from team that went 29-1 over two seasons. These kids have not always been the most consistent especially from August to mid-October. But from late October to now they've been mentally sharp, especially defensively. SD had to replace every starter in their D-line. Their youth and inexperience really showed early on in their technique and missed assignments. However I knew they had a chance to be very good because their physicality, size and athleticism has always been there. Against HHS's major D-1 talent, and their mammoth O-line that averaged 6'3 285 from tackle to tackle, SD curb stomped them. Especially SD's D-line versus their O-line. The speed and athleticism gave that O-line fits. But since late October that D-line has been solid mentally. You no longer see 5 techniques and 3 technique running up field, you now see those guys getting hands on lineman squeezing blocks, taking on pulling guards parallel to the line of scrimmage, taking on blocks with the proper shoulder. if you're in to the intricate details of the game, they growth from a technique prospective has been beautiful to see.

Since it's already foregone conclusion that most believe that Crest is going to roll big Saturday. ( Which I see nothing wrong with that prediction, as I said Crest is the Heavy Weight Champion, until someone takes that belt. I'm just happy Southern Durham has earned the opportunity to challenge this great program once again. 10 Championship Game appearances, remarkable). Here are my keys for an upset.
1. SD DL has to win the battle in the trenches.

If SD D-line can win their battle in the trenches against Crest O-line, then they'll position themselves to keep the game close with a chance at pulling the upset. However this won't be an easy task, Crest O-line is very similar to Orange's O-line, and probably a tad better than Northern Guilford's. Size wise Crest are about the size of Orange O-line averaging 6'3 260 from tackle to tackle.

2. Offensive efficiency. SD must move the chains against Crest. Yes, easier said than done. SD will be facing the best defense they've seen all year, and yes even better than Orange defense due to Crest's backend speed. In my opinion Orange's defense was the best defense I've seen in person since HHS 2011 4A state champion defense. Ask any SD supporter their thoughts on that Orange front 7. So comparing Orange and Crest is not a slight against Crest. Orange defense was just that good. It's funny because scheme wise Orange and Crest are twins. Front 3 for both of those of teams are equal in talent, LB play are equal. Crest has a D-1 LB, but so did Orange if the kid didn't have a 95 MPH fast ball, and was slated to be one of the top picks in the MLB draft. The back 4 is what separates Crest from Orange defensively. Ty McLaurin I remember from Scotland County, he's a good one. But over all those kids in Crest secondary can cover and they are very good in supporting the run. Based on film the defensive play caller is extremely aggressive, but it's definitely a luxury to have backend speed to cover down for busts. SD offense is predicated on taking what the defense gives. No defense can take away everything, but the good ones like Crest will definitely take away the things you are most successful at. I think Crest will attempt to take away Brown's running lanes and take their chances with him attempting to win with his arm. LOL, the fun part for us Southern Durham supporters is that we don't really know what Brown can do with his arm :) . We only saw 1 game when he only passed it 14 times and completed 50% of those passes, that number will probably need to be in 20's to open up some running lanes........ Looking forward to seeing these teenagers from both teams compete.

Let me start by giving credit where credit is due, and that's to the ones who have dedicated countless hours to this sport, the coaching staffs and players from Crest and Southern Durham, job well done to both schools over the past three seasons.

To Crest, I think Coach Barnes deserves a lot of credit for going back to the drawing board after 2K13. He brought in a new DC, Coach Clark, who is now the head coach. Tweaked his scheme on both sides of the ball. Became a defense to boot, and became a more explosive offense by become multi-dimensional. This is definitely no where close to the 2K13 from a scheme prospective. Crest hasn't lost a game in two years. Last year they physically dominated Havelock in the Championship game, and therefore they are the Heavy Weight Champion in 3A, no question about it.

To my home town team Southern Durham, what can I say. For someone who loves this game it's been fun watching this team grow from August to December. This year's team had to replace 18 out of 21 starters from team that went 29-1 over two seasons. These kids have not always been the most consistent especially from August to mid-October. But from late October to now they've been mentally sharp, especially defensively. SD had to replace every starter in their D-line. Their youth and inexperience really showed early on in their technique and missed assignments. However I knew they had a chance to be very good because their physicality, size and athleticism has always been there. Against HHS's major D-1 talent, and their mammoth O-line that averaged 6'3 285 from tackle to tackle, SD curb stomped them. Especially SD's D-line versus their O-line. The speed and athleticism gave that O-line fits. But since late October that D-line has been solid mentally. You no longer see 5 techniques and 3 technique running up field, you now see those guys getting hands on lineman squeezing blocks, taking on pulling guards parallel to the line of scrimmage, taking on blocks with the proper shoulder. if you're in to the intricate details of the game, they growth from a technique prospective has been beautiful to see.

Since it's already foregone conclusion that most believe that Crest is going to roll big Saturday. ( Which I see nothing wrong with that prediction, as I said Crest is the Heavy Weight Champion, until someone takes that belt. I'm just happy Southern Durham has earned the opportunity to challenge this great program once again. 10 Championship Game appearances, remarkable). Here are my keys for an upset.

If SD D-line can win their battle in the trenches against Crest O-line, then they'll position themselves to keep the game close with a chance at pulling the upset. However this won't be an easy task, Crest O-line is very similar to Orange's O-line, and probably a tad better than Northern Guilford's. Size wise Crest are about the size of Orange O-line averaging 6'3 260 from tackle to tackle.

2. Offensive efficiency. SD must move the chains against Crest. Yes, easier said than done. SD will be facing the best defense they've seen all year, and yes even better than Orange defense due to Crest's backend speed. In my opinion Orange's defense was the best defense I've seen in person since HHS 2011 4A state champion defense. Ask any SD supporter their thoughts on that Orange front 7. So comparing Orange and Crest is not a slight against Crest. Orange defense was just that good. It's funny because scheme wise Orange and Crest are twins. Front 3 for both of those of teams are equal in talent, LB play are equal. Crest has a D-1 LB, but so did Orange if the kid didn't have a 95 MPH fast ball, and was slated to be one of the top picks in the MLB draft. The back 4 is what separates Crest from Orange defensively. Ty McLaurin I remember from Scotland County, he's a good one. But over all those kids in Crest secondary can cover and they are very good in supporting the run. Based on film the defensive play caller is extremely aggressive, but it's definitely a luxury to have backend speed to cover down for busts. SD offense is predicated on taking what the defense gives. No defense can take away everything, but the good ones like Crest will definitely take away the things you are most successful at. I think Crest will attempt to take away Brown's running lanes and take their chances with him attempting to win with his arm. LOL, the fun part for us Southern Durham supporters is that we don't really know what Brown can do with his arm :) . We only saw 1 game when he only passed it 14 times and completed 50% of those passes, that number will probably need to be in 20's to open up some running lanes........ Looking forward to seeing these teenagers from both teams compete.
Nice break down it should be fun, the thing about the crest front 7 is there speed where ever Foster is at is a no go for any team. As far as the Crest O and what makes them hard to stop is of course our D-1 RB because you have got to get the safety in the box to stop him but when you do IF he breaks it he has the speed to out run angles! And if you do stop him the WR's are go fast and in a one on one situation they are unstoppable running the post and the QB putting the ball on the money.

For me the key to SD winning in pressure on the QB that will be a must for a win!

It's going to be fun and as we all know speed don't translate to film until you see it in person!

Very good post sir. Good luck to yal saturday

Nice break down it should be fun, the thing about the crest front 7 is there speed where ever Foster is at is a no go for any team. As far as the Crest O and what makes them hard to stop is of course our D-1 RB because you have got to get the safety in the box to stop him but when you do IF he breaks it he has the speed to out run angles! And if you do stop him the WR's are go fast and in a one on one situation they are unstoppable running the post and the QB putting the ball on the money.

For me the key to SD winning in pressure on the QB that will be a must for a win!

It's going to be fun and as we all know speed don't translate to film until you see it in person!

Putting on my fan hat, lol. I like the Crest defense a lot. Perfect scheme for those kids. The speed doesn't translate to film for most teams, but it does for Crest. Those kids close fast on the ball. I have high regards for Cleveland County, great programs with sustained success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT