ADVERTISEMENT

2A Western Finals Shelby vs Mount Pleasant @ Shelby

Originally posted by SHS LION:

Originally posted by maybelline:

Originally posted by '98 State Champion:

Originally posted by bralpa:

Something has to give in this game:

Shelby's D only gives up 100.6 yards rushing per game and only 81.9 yards passing per game. The 182.5 total yards per game given up is 114 yards less per game than last year.

Shelby has also only given up just 10 rushing and 9 passing TDs through 14 games.

Mount Pleasant averages 284.9 rushing yards per game and has 54 rushing TDs on the season.
I'd take our defense....
You better try and stop Reece, 3000+ yards rushing this year is awesome, and that was against some pretty good competition.
He must be a good one and will be a load for the Lions.How did Mt.Pleasant do against the big back for Owen?
147 I think?

Guys, here is an article from the Concord-Kannapolis Independent Tribune. It gives information about the game including statistics. It also has an audio of some or all of the game. It's a little hard to negotiate but if you want to advance it, put the pointer where the gauge typically is, drag the advance button and it will work. See the link.

Mt.Pleasant at Owen:Independent Tribune

Reece has very impressive stats. Shelby's D will have to bring their "A" game on Friday night.

Aug 22 - Central Cabarrus - 17 - 76 - 0
Aug 29 - Concord - 33 - 158 - 1
Sep 05 - Cox Mill - 36 - 180 - 2
Sep 12 - Robinson - 24 - 267 - 5
Sep 26 - Carson - 28 - 284 - 2
Oct 03 - NW Cabarrus - 22 - 158 - 2
Oct 10 - Forest Hills - 42 - 216 - 4
Oct 17 - Monroe - 39 - 192 - 1
Oct 24 - Central Academy - 27 - 164 - 3
Oct 31 - Parkwood - 33 - 276 - 4
Nov 07 - West Stanly - 9 - 181 - 1
Nov 14 - East Rutherford - 44 - 246 - 3
Nov 21 - North Rowan - 38 - 384 - 5
Nov 28 - Owen - 35 - 246 - 4
Total - 427 - 3028 - 37

Originally posted by bralpa:

Reece has very impressive stats. Shelby's D will have to bring their "A" game on Friday night.

Aug 22 - Central Cabarrus - 17 - 76 - 0
Aug 29 - Concord - 33 - 158 - 1
Sep 05 - Cox Mill - 36 - 180 - 2
Sep 12 - Robinson - 24 - 267 - 5
Sep 26 - Carson - 28 - 284 - 2
Oct 03 - NW Cabarrus - 22 - 158 - 2
Oct 10 - Forest Hills - 42 - 216 - 4
Oct 17 - Monroe - 39 - 192 - 1
Oct 24 - Central Academy - 27 - 164 - 3
Oct 31 - Parkwood - 33 - 276 - 4
Nov 07 - West Stanly - 9 - 181 - 1
Nov 14 - East Rutherford - 44 - 246 - 3
Nov 21 - North Rowan - 38 - 384 - 5
Nov 28 - Owen - 35 - 246 - 4
Total - 427 - 3028 - 37
Man, do they run any other kind of play besides just giving him the ball? 36 carries, 42 carries, 39, 33, 44, 38, 35.

Last time we played Mount Pleasant in the Western Finals they had a featured back that had ran all over everybody....we shut him down.....this year's defense is better than 2007's defense.

Those are ridiculous numbers could be a big challenge for our D we have allowed teams to run up the middle from time to time

Originally posted by HitmanT:
Originally posted by exsshs:
Has MP ever been this deep in the playoffs?
2007 reminded me of Corey Brooks who was pound for pound the best defensive player ever at Shelby High.Do you remember how many sacks he had?

Originally posted by Shelby Lion:
Brooks had 23 sacks and 46 tackles for loss in 2007
40 1/2 for career and record 6 vs Brevard in 2007
Incredible.I was at the Brevard game and it was a one man show.

Originally posted by Shelby Lion:
Brooks had 23 sacks and 46 tackles for loss in 2007
40 1/2 for career and record 6 vs Brevard in 2007
Incredible.I was at the Brevard game and it was a one man show.
I remember a scrimmage early in season, Brooks came off the edge, the Qb was running the option, he tackled the QB, who pitched it , he got up and still tackled the ball carrier behind the line... Never had seen that..He was lightning fast.. Dominated coming off the edge..

Only one team had a game plan to stop him that season, and it was Reidsville in the title game....

Defensive stats since 2007

2007:
Tackles: Tanyi 108
Sacks: Brooks 22
TFL: Brooks 43
INT: Blake 6

2008:
Tackles: Murray 94
Sacks: Murray 11.5
TFL: Murray 33
INT: Wilson 5

2009:
Tackles: Forte 88
Sacks: Wray 10
TFL: Wray 21
INT: Huskey/Jennings 5

2010:
Tackles: Forte 129
Sacks: Wray 14
TFL: Wray 24
INT: Huskey 2

2011:
Tackles: Addison 129
Sacks: Wray/Evans 4.5
TFL: Wray/Walton 16
INT: Cannon/Griffin/Russell 2

2012:
Tackles: Brown 104
Sacks: Evans 15
TFL: Evans 24
INT: Hillman 6

2013:
Tackles: Allen 120
Sacks: Addison/Huskey 9
TFL: Addison 28
INT: Houston 7

2014 (through Reidsville game):
Tackles: Hollifield 105
Sacks: Huskey 15
TFL: Huskey 39
INT: Houston 12

I have to say, this Mount Pleasant team is a hard team to figure out. They have had two impressive wins in the playoffs, but that one point win over East Rutherford is puzzling. Shelby beat East 64-10. I realize East finished the season with wins over RS and Chase...but I just can't fathom how MP barely beat East...and then dominated both N. Rowan and Owen. Maybe MP just had an off night.

As for the stats, MP is clearly a team that Shelby should not overlook. They obviously have a strong rushing attack and as bralpa stated, Reece has impressive stats. 12 TDs in three playoff games is something anyone should have immense respect for. I know Shelby's defense is playing well but no one from Shelby should underestimate this Mount Pleasant team.

The main thing I want to see this Friday night from Shelby is them limiting the penalties. Too many penalties the past two games.

Should be a good one. GO LIONS!

Originally posted by Golden_Lion_007:
I have to say, this Mount Pleasant team is a hard team to figure out. They have had two impressive wins in the playoffs, but that one point win over East Rutherford is puzzling. Shelby beat East 64-10. I realize East finished the season with wins over RS and Chase...but I just can't fathom how MP barely beat East...and then dominated both N. Rowan and Owen. Maybe MP just had an off night.

As for the stats, MP is clearly a team that Shelby should not overlook. They obviously have a strong rushing attack and as bralpa stated, Reece has impressive stats. 12 TDs in three playoff games is something anyone should have immense respect for. I know Shelby's defense is playing well but no one from Shelby should underestimate this Mount Pleasant team.

The main thing I want to see this Friday night from Shelby is them limiting the penalties. Too many penalties the past two games.

The Mt Pleasant people are looking at the Shelby schedule and asking how in the world did they lose to South Point.Everybody has a bad night and your right we better not over look this team.

Originally posted by Golden_Lion_007:

The Mt Pleasant people are looking at the Shelby schedule and asking how in the world did they lose to South Point.Everybody has a bad night and your right we better not over look this team.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Lion (unless you're joking) you have got to be the most pessimistic Shelby poster ever. We don't eat our own but you are such a Debbie Downer when it comes to our boys. Let's lift them UP! ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

The better statement is the Mount Pleasant people are looking at the Shelby schedule and saying to themselves, "Damn, Shelby's only two losses are to two 3A teams that are playing in the Western 3A final against each other for a trip to the State Championship and they only lost to those two teams by a combined 13 points."

This post was edited on 12/3 3:45 PM by '98 State Champion

Looking at those stats Bralpa posted was impressive. Huskey will probably pass Brooks from 2007 in TFL and only be a few back in sacks by the time its all over. Young man has had a great season. Will probably have the same problem Brooks had as far as playing in college: too small for his position. Still, it's been fun watching him play.

Looking forward to seeing the 3,000 yard rusher Friday night. Wow! That's a bunch of yards. We've had some fantastic running backs in my lifetime, but I only remember one getting barely over 2,000. Should be a big test for those boys in the middle along with Addison and Hollifield.

Lion (unless you're joking) you have got to be the most pessimistic Shelby poster ever. We don't eat our own but you are such a Debbie Downer when it comes to our boys. Let's lift them UP! ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

The better statement is the Mount Pleasant people are looking at the Shelby schedule and saying to themselves, "Damn, Shelby's only two losses are to two 3A teams that are playing in the Western 3A final against each other for a trip to the State Championship and they only lost to those two teams by a combined 13 points."

This post was edited on 12/3 3:45 PM by '98 State Champion
The 3A west is very weak this year and that is the only reason SP is in the finals.We should have beat SP by 3 tds but we didn't and that is why you play the game.I have seen way more Shelby games then you have and I never get to high or to low.In 1977 after going undefeated I thought we would kill Newton Conover but we lost,in 95 I thought we had the best team in the state but lost to a girl kicker,in 97 I thought we would kill Bandys but barely won and lost to Clinton the next week.And then there is Madison and West Stokes.This is why you play the game and respect your opponent.

Excellent post SHS Lion.

Where did those leading Shelby tacklers play college ball?

TGT - Of the names on that list that I am aware of:

Tanyi played great at App State for 3 years and then when and was fantastic at Colorado State for one year. He got some try outs in the NFL but couldn't hold on.

Brooks - Last I heard he played at a Jr. College out west.

Murray - Played at WCU. Ended up getting switched to O-line, and started there.

Wray is the starting nose tackle for Duke right now.

There may be others that can help some more.

@98, not to mention that South Point beat Concord convincingly, who beat them(Mount Pleasant).
This post was edited on 12/3 10:30 PM by Lion Attack

Quick hijack:

Shelby is one of the only programs I have been able to pull for even when they beat my team. Our programs have some things in common that I value. Shelby has a winning tradition built over many years of sustained success. Hope y'all win by 40 this week and next. From one Lincolnton fan, GO LIONS!

Good Luck to both of you guys Friday night. I hope the DarkHorses get the chance to play one of you! What's ever the case all 4 finalfourteamshavehad a heck of a season.
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Lion Attack:
@98, not to mention that South Point beat Concord convincingly, who beat them(Mount Pleasant).
This post was edited on 12/3 10:30 PM by Lion Attack
Exactly,that is why you play the game.

Originally posted by Wizard of the East:
Good Luck to both of you guys Friday night. I hope the DarkHorses get the chance to play one of you! What's ever the case all 4 finalfourteamshavehad a heck of a season.
roll.r191677.gif
Thanks Wiz..... It has been a heck of a season for all of us...Good luck...Should be two very good games Friday, and again next Saturday for whomever makes it....

One thing that concerns me about this game is that even though Mount Pleasant is pretty much one dimensional, teams have still not been able to stop them. That line they have is huge. As for them being to not as athletic it is hard to get passed Monroe only scoring 7 on them?

The warmer temps should help our WR's Friday.

L. Tanyi - App State (2008-2011) / Colorado State (2012)
At App State - 2009 - 2nd-Team All-Southern Conference
At Colorado State - 2012 - Team MVP / 2nd-Team All-Mountain West Conference

Q. Murray - Western Carolina (2009-2013)
At Western Carolina - Started every game at Center in 2011 and 2012 / Started every game at Guard in 2013

C. Wray - Duke (2012-Present)
At Duke - Played in 10 games (2012) / Sonny Falcone Iron Duke Award (2013 - For year-round commitment to strength and conditioning program) / Starting DT (2014)

R. Huskey - Marshall (2013-Present)
At Marshall - RS Freshman (2014) - played in 11 games, 13 tackles, 1 blocked kick

K. Evans - Methodist U (2013-Present)
At Methodist - 8 tackles (2013-Fr) / 28 tackles, 4 TFLs, 1.5 sacks (thru 9 games - 2014-So)

That's great to hear abour Raheem Huskey. Hope he does well at Marshall. He had a ton of talent.

The 3A west is very weak this year and that is the only reason SP is in the finals.We should have beat SP by 3 tds but we didn't and that is why you play the game.I have seen way more Shelby games then you have and I never get to high or to low.In 1977 after going undefeated I thought we would kill Newton Conover but we lost,in 95 I thought we had the best team in the state but lost to a girl kicker,in 97 I thought we would kill Bandys but barely won and lost to Clinton the next week.And then there is Madison and West Stokes.This is why you play the game and respect your opponent.
"We' have been playing for and watching games of Shelby since 1917. We were on the 1977 team and on the 1997 State Runner-up team that you mentioned. We were also on the 1916 and 1917 teams along with '42 and '43. And on the 1970, 1972, and 1998 Championship teams. And on the 1969 and 2004 State Runner-up teams. And significant starters and contributors in all cases. We have been in the band and we have been captains of the cheerleaders. We think we got ya on the Shelby games seen count.

We respect MP. We just feel positive reinforcement builds confidence in the guys. No one gets to the fourth round without being a very good football team. The players and the coaches know they have to play well.

Damn man....I'm impressed if you were around in 1917 and are still active....lol.....Good luck friday vs. MP...I'm pulling for 'ya.......

Originally posted by rambbq:
Damn man....I'm impressed if you were around in 1917 and are still active....lol.....Good luck friday vs. MP...I'm pulling for 'ya.......
He's definitely on something....or possessed by something

"We' have been playing for and watching games of Shelby since 1917. We were on the 1977 team and on the 1997 State Runner-up team that you mentioned. We were also on the 1916 and 1917 teams along with '42 and '43. And on the 1970, 1972, and 1998 Championship teams. And on the 1969 and 2004 State Runner-up teams. And significant starters and contributors in all cases. We have been in the band and we have been captains of the cheerleaders. We think we got ya on the Shelby games seen count.

We respect MP. We just feel positive reinforcement builds confidence in the guys. No one gets to the fourth round without being a very good football team. The players and the coaches know they have to play well.
I said I have seen more Shelby High football games than YOU.

Originally posted by Chopper747:
btw I thought I read somewhere that MP had 3A/3AA numbers.
Never. What is accurate is that MP played 3A for four years with 2A ADM numbers because of a then spineless school board decision not to follow through on a redirecting plan. Never came close to 3A/3AA numbers.

Mount Pleasant has about 800 students(2A enrollment) and has never had 3A/AA enrollment. What you may be hearing is that Mt Pleasant was in a 3A conference from 2009 to 2012. They agreed to join an all Cabarrus County, South Piedmont conference and were promised re-redistricting to up the enrollment to 3A. The redistricting didn't happen because of local political pressure so MP went back to 2A last year after competing in 3A for four years..This year MP played 5 games with 2A/AA schools (in conference), 5 games with 3A/AA schools and one game with a 4A school.

Originally posted by SHS Lion

Like I said I have seen more Shelby High football games than YOU.
You do realize that more than one person posts under this name...from different generations....?

Originally posted by SHS Lion

Like I said I have seen more Shelby High football games than YOU.
You do realize that more than one person posts under this name...from different generations....?
I'm sorry and tell the poster from the 1916 and 1917 teams I'm very impressed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT