ADVERTISEMENT

2A West Discussion Board

PatrickO'Brien

Gold Member
Nov 12, 2012
We want to hear everyone's thoughts on the first round of the playoffs. Let the discussion begin right here.

16 Lake Norman Charter (3-8) @ CD Owen (10-0)
9 Surry Central (7-4) @ 8 Salisbury (5-6)
12 Mountain Heritage (6-5) @ 5 North Rowan (9-2)
13 East Rutherford (6-5) @ 4 Mount Pleasant (9-2)
14 Trinity (5-6) @ 3 Shelby (9-2)
11 Hendersonville (7-4) @ 6 Carver (8-2)
10 Lexington (3-8) @ Polk County (8-3)
15 Providence Grove (4-7) @ Reidsville (9-2)

No surprises this week. High seeds win. My pick for the regional final is Mt. Pleasant. Reidsville vs Shelby on the other side with no pick until I see what each do in the second round. Best first or second round game should be North Rowan vs Mt. Pleasant.

Well I know records are what everyone looks at. I am looking for Providence Grove to upset Reidsville this Friday. These kids are young and you never know what you will get. The coaching staff will have them ready for Reidsville big running backs. Our OL is ready to respond after a lack luster game against Randleman. 4-7 looks bad I agree but our schedule was tough as they come this year.

PG 22
Reidsville 21

Owen by 35
Salisbury by 12
North Rowan by 28
Mt Pleasant by 24
Shelby by 35
Carver by 14
Reidsville by 35

It will be interesting to see how Cummings and Graham do in their first-round games. Reidsville had no problem with either team so it will be a gauge of the Mid-State 2-A's strength against outside competition from the 2-A class. All three have lost to 3-A and 4-A schools before conference play began.

This post was edited on 11/10 1:36 PM by TGT

This post was edited on 11/10 12:42 PM by Ramchamp

This post was edited on 11/10 12:44 PM by Ramchamp

Lake Norman Charter @ CD Owen

Charter's happy to be alive but Owen should roll here for their coach.

Surry Central @ Salisbury

Salisbury returns to playoffs after a year's absensce against a surprise squad in Surry Central. Salisbury has had the harder schedule and tradtionly the athletes but Central plays hard especially on D. Should be either a blowout or a close one but I think Salisbury has too many athletes for Central.

Mountain Heritage @ North Rowan

Should be a good win for North as long as they play hard.

East Rutherford @ Mount Pleasant

Pleasant has too many athletes for East to handle.

Trinity @ Shelby

Poor Trinity, they got the bottom of the bag draw against Shelby.

Hendersonville @ Carver

Carver has a ton of athletes but if Hendersonville plays hard epically on the lines they will have a chance.

Lexington @ Polk County

Lexington's the feel good story of the 2A west after playing such a brutal schedule but unless they have some magic left from the 2009 playoffs I don't see them advancing. Lexington will be a squad to watch in the next few seasons though.

Providence Grove @ Reidsville

Reidsville's Reidsville. Enough said

I believe the 3rd round will be Reidsville and Shelby and the winner of that game will go on to win the state. Thats just my personal prediction no need for any one to get fired up over it. But have to look at the history of these teams they are always there. Reidsville has been to the regional finals 10 out of the past 12 years so you cant over look that fact either

This bracket comes down to Shelby and Reidsville . I think Owen will get by first two rounds but North Rowan or Mt. Pleasant will be big challenge. If somehow they get by one of those you get Reidsville or Shelby i think both of them have to much firepower for Owen. If all goes as planned ill be at Shelby for the third round game against Reidsville should be a good one.

Shelby.....Shelby.....Shelby
Owen
Shelby
chairshot.r191677.gif

If I looked at it right (I am sure I did) the teams Reidsville played has a combined record of 34-77. Not real impressive in my opinion. In conference play only couple teams have winning records. 9-2, 6-5, 6-5. Pac 6 conference is tough as they come with Eastern Randolph, Randleman, and Andrews. Providence Grove is 4-7 I know don't look impressive. They have had injuries all year which impacted their record. Really young team if the RB get hot it might be trouble in Ram Country.

PG 22
Reidsville 21

Reidsville will be at least a 35 pt. favorite...you will see friday nite.....I remember in 2009 when Providence Grove came into Reidsville with a record of 8-2 full of themselves, showing disrespect and ended up getting their head handed to them by Reidsville 56-14.

PG was in the conference with Reidsville 2009-2012....going 0-4 against Reidsville, being outscored 160-35 in the process....don't see a lot changing this week..........if it does, I will be stunned and the first to admit it.....

calpreps.com has Reidsville winning 48-6....that sounds about right.............
This post was edited on 11/11 9:20 AM by rambbq

So there is no argument that the schedule they play is suspect. I know what PG can do we will just have to see Friday night. Coaches and players will be ready.

Mid state 2A is not as strong as in years past...but Cummings should beat Kinston...Graham is underdog to Clinton...2 yrs ago Carrboro played in 2AA tittle game...the non conf schedule (6 games)...we have to play the other Rockingham County schools...Morehead, Rockingham Co. and McMichael...that leaves 3...we played and lost by 3 at 4-A NW Guilford without our starting QB and we lost at Northern Guilford...We drilled NE Guilford at their place 42-0...I'll admit NE is not what it used to be, but we usually play them every year and their history is very, very good..

We have played some weak teams (not our fault) but have more than covered the point spread against all of them (by a big margin),....even the 2 we lost....( we were 30 pt. underdog to NG and lost by 16..and we were 6 underdog to NW and lost by 3).

Hope PG brings a big crowd....bundle up....temps will be in the 30's during the game..........

Whoever is talking about Providence Groves schedule compared to Reidsvilles must not have looked at Providence Grove's schedule.

Well compare records from teams on each schedule and let me know. I already know PG schedule by record is a lot better. We play 3A schools also. We played them with injured players also. We just want a little bit of respect that's all.

If PG is a running team, make their chances of winning in Reidsville less than zero.

Respect is earned on the football field on Friday nights, not by making ridiculous predictions on a fans message board.

Originally posted by tarheel fan1:
Is Providence Grove a running team?
The stats I saw on MaxPreps show they passed 87 times and ran 437 times this season. Top three rushers are all sophomores.

No disrespect ALLREAL but if Reidsville shutout and beat Providence Grove 20-0 in 2010, with the worst team we have had since the 90s there is just no way in the world they can compete with this team.

Allreal believe me we respect PG, as we do all program, but we're not gong to come on here and say that we are expecting a good game, and close game. As a supporter of the Reidsville Rams I dont belive PG is in the same league with Reidsville and that reidsville is at lease 40 points better than PG. As PG fan you are doing your job ,and thats to defend your team against non believers, to convice everyone thats not a supporter that PG has a chance, that PG belongs on the same field with Reidsville. Well sir come late Friday night someone will be right and someone will be wrong.

FWIW, Simmons has the Reidsville schedule rated as the #37 toughest in 2A and Providence Grove's schedule is rated #46.

I'm glad rambbq commented on the 2009 game when PG visited Reidsville. Before the game, several of the PG players stood at midfield taunting the Rams. Not too smart as it woke Reidsville up and PG got their heads handed to them shortly thereafter.

PG fans might want to take the opportunity to visit Short Sugars for some good old fashioned bbq before the game. Ought to get something positive out of your visit up north.
smile.r191677.gif

We just might get something good from going up north, a 2nd round game. Compare the records of the teams on each schedule I think PG got the edge. PAC 6 sent 5 teams to playoffs. How many did Mid State send to playoffs. 3 days until the show. PG will be ready for the mighty Rams. Again I say it is a tall order, but that is why they play the game.

Carver ' non conference schedule should have them ready for the playoff gauntlet. The offense isn't as good as years past, but the defense will have them in every game.

Allreal please don't go into hiding around 10pm Friday nite..we will have a lot lo talk about buddy..

Anyone got any info on Reidsville's dinged up players...?? especially #30 and #15....there are others as well....hope this slew of injuries dont' rise up to bite us in the butt like it did during playoffs last year...

All hear say don't know if any is real but I heard #15 done for season. Also heard #32 got dinged up after I left Friday night. Any word on that?

Fortunately, this year the Rams have enough depth to overcome most injury situations. Of course, if the injury bug hits as bad as it did before the Shelby game last year - well, don't even want to think about it.

If true..I hate to hear about #15..the play he got hurt on didn't look bad but you can never tell and I don't what the injury is...Coach Teague has never been one to share with the media or public any injury problems...guess he doesn't want the opposition to know..........also #5 could barely walk fri nite so I don't what his status is....one of the fastest guys on the team..maybe "Stan" could enlighten us..................

I was told at church by an assistant coach that #15 had a sprained ankle and should be ok. But that was Sunday.

Also, #30 had a concussion Friday night and #5 had a sprained ankle. Don't know their status for tomorrow night but if Rams can't win without them I would be totally shocked.

Everyone is good for Friday weather or not they are allowed to play is up to the coaches. If they are not 100% and are not needed dont use them save them for the 2nd round

I can tell you just like my name ALLREAL is never scared. I am ready to see what the next state champions look like. Lol. Maybe those underclassmen we hang our hat on can do a little something. Looking forward to coming up 29 North to see my little Patriots take on the mighty Rams. Lets agree to keep it clean and respectful no matter the way the ball bounces. GO PATRIOTS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT