ADVERTISEMENT

2A - AA teams from the past would you love to see matched up?

Ooooner

Apr 12, 2006
Concord, North Carolina
I saw a thread like this started on the 3A board and thought I would start one here on the 2-A board. I'm sure there would be a lot of Reidsville - Shelby matchups from different years! These teams don't have to be from the same year, but just for example, a team from the 90's against a team from the 2000's.

Let the arguments begin! ;):)

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I’m glad you brought this up. I would love to have seen ‘93 Lincolnton team who won the 2A State Championship game played against 2AA Shelby of last year. Lincolnton had the speed and talent that year.

Reactions: Ooooner
I’m glad you brought this up. I would love to have seen ‘93 Lincolnton team who won the 2A State Championship game played against 2AA Shelby of last year. Lincolnton had the speed and talent that year.
It would have been ugly. Shelby beat Lincolnton in 93 and this past years Shelby team was levels above that one.

Reactions: leo1999
Yeah that is right. Forgot that. I will say Shelby is a top notch team and hard to beat. Then I will have go with top Reidsville against top Shelby team. I will hand it to Shelby, they prove themselves over the years.

Reactions: SHS LION
I know Catholic is not in the 2A but would like to see Shelby n Catholic duke it out.

Well Catholic was 2A at one time...as late as 2004 they won the 2AA title....most people were expecting a Reidsville/Catholic matchup that year, instead of Catholic/Western Alamance matchup.....WA had knocked off Reidsville by 2 points in the East regional final at Reidsville the week before.........Earlier in the year Reidsville had beaten WA by 50 at WA...........Reidsville had won 2AA state titles in 2002 and 2003..........................

Well Catholic was 2A at one time...as late as 2004 they won the 2AA title....most people were expecting a Reidsville/Catholic matchup that year, instead of Catholic/Western Alamance matchup.....WA had knocked off Reidsville by 2 points in the East regional final at Reidsville the week before.........Earlier in the year Reidsville had beaten WA by 50 at WA...........Reidsville had won 2AA state titles in 2002 and 2003..........................

Still think we win the states that year, if not for that upset.

Reactions: rambbq
1995 Thomasville Bulldogs vs. 1999 High Point Central Bison.

Still to this day the two best 2A teams I have ever seen with my own eyes. Both teams won state titles in their respective years. 95' Thomasville had the best defense I've personally seen in this state, and High Point Central's offense was an absolute BEAST! I have always thought that if those two teams could have magically played each other, I would have picked Thomasville. That defense was like trying to get through a brick wall that had 5 feet of steel behind it.

Reactions: ITJ
1995 Thomasville Bulldogs vs. 1999 High Point Central Bison.

Still to this day the two best 2A teams I have ever seen with my own eyes. Both teams won state titles in their respective years. 95' Thomasville had the best defense I've personally seen in this state, and High Point Central's offense was an absolute BEAST! I have always thought that if those two teams could have magically played each other, I would have picked Thomasville. That defense was like trying to get through a brick wall that had 5 feet of steel behind it.
Comparing.......Thomasville in '95 went 16-0.....scoring 507 points...giving up 56 with 8 shutouts (wow)......their opponents had an overall record of 107-84 ( 2 teams finished 12-1, 1 team 13-2, 1 team 12-3, 1 team 10-2, 1 team 9-4).........

HP Central in '99 went 15-0....scoring 641 points...giving up 182 with only 1 shutout......their opponents had an overall record of 97-85-1 ( 1 team finished 15-1, 1 team 14-1)....

would be interesting but I would give the edge to Thomasville because of their D....I did see them in person as they beat Reidsville (in Reidsville) that year 24-0............................

Comparing.......Thomasville in '95 went 16-0.....scoring 507 points...giving up 56 with 8 shutouts (wow)......their opponents had an overall record of 107-84 ( 2 teams finished 12-1, 1 team 13-2, 1 team 12-3, 1 team 10-2, 1 team 9-4).........

HP Central in '99 went 15-0....scoring 641 points...giving up 182 with only 1 shutout......their opponents had an overall record of 97-85-1 ( 1 team finished 15-1, 1 team 14-1)....

would be interesting but I would give the edge to Thomasville because of their D....I did see them in person as they beat Reidsville (in Reidsville) that year 24-0............................

Hpc team that year was nasty. Offense was a beasssst. Beat SWO in the state title game that yeat. SWO came back to win it 2000

95 Thomasville vs 99 HP Central is the go to. Hard to imagine anyone could stop Chuckie, Ricky, and Rashad, but T-ville would have the best chance.

Reactions: ITJ and UNC91
95 Thomasville vs 99 HP Central is the go to. Hard to imagine anyone could stop Chuckie, Ricky, and Rashad, but T-ville would have the best chance.

After we played them in the semis in 1998 it was obvious with what they had coming back the next season they were going to be special and boy were they.....

Credit Jeff Jones for this video of the 1998 game

Reactions: theTRUEdynasty
After we played them in the semis in 1998 it was obvious with what they had coming back the next season they were going to be special and boy were they.....

great game and much closer than the final indicated.....lots of fluke plays in this game.....the 4th down fake punt to me is what won the game for Shelby.....HP Central turned the ball over too much to beat a good team......really enjoyed the film except for the annoying hum the first half of film.....the same nite this game was being played, Reidsville was at Tarboro for East Regional final....Tarboro won and then
Shelby took them down the next week in title game.......Sad to me to see how far HP Central has fallen as a football program now....this past year Reidsville beat them 48-0 in the first game of the season and it coulda been worse............................

That is one of the all time great play calls in Shelby history.Boy did it swing the momentum.
gotta be talking about the fake punt...perfect call at right time and caught HPC off guard...also love the fluke pass play for Shelby's first TD in this game.....Did not realize until watching this, that the game was really, really close..................

I knew they were going to be a problem when they came to Shelby in ‘97, and all of their star players were sophomores. Norris Hopper and company obviously won the game, but they didn’t dominate that young, very athletic Bison team.

Last edited:
Clinton’97 vs HPC 99 would be an exciting game.
Who beat Clinton in ‘97, though? I think they had one loss coming into the state championship with Shelby. That was a great team with no weaknesses.

gotta be talking about the fake punt...perfect call at right time and caught HPC off guard...also love the fluke pass play for Shelby's first TD in this game.....Did not realize until watching this, that the game was really, really close..................
Yes it was one of the all time great games. The stadium was really nice. I guess games are still played there.

Yes it was one of the all time great games. The stadium was really nice. I guess games are still played there.
oh yeah....every week.....Reidsville played Central there last year...have played HP Andrews countless times there since that stadium was built.....to me it's the perfect size for championship games to be played....don't really care for the college stadium venues for title games.....takes some of the excitement out of it for me.....but I'm sure the kids love it and that's what is important........................

oh yeah....every week.....Reidsville played Central there last year...have played HP Andrews countless times there since that stadium was built.....to me it's the perfect size for championship games to be played....don't really care for the college stadium venues for title games.....takes some of the excitement out of it for me.....but I'm sure the kids love it and that's what is important........................
Completely 100% agree with you, just not much excitement at all in those huge stadiums. At least not like there is in a normal high school stadium.

Reactions: Ooooner and rambbq
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT