2021 NCAL SR State Tournament SCORE BOARD

Hon Dines

Aug 21, 2002
China Grove, NC
7-28-21
Game 1
Rowan County 3
Port City 2

STARS DIVISION (Wins-Losses)(Runs against-Runs Scored)
Rowan County Post 342(1-0)(RA 2-RS 3)
Port City Post 545(0-1)(RA 3- RS 2)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sportsnut17
7-28-21
Game 3

Fuquay-Varina 10
Kannapolis 2

STRIPES DIVISION(Wins-Losses)(Runs against-Runs Scored)
Fuquay-Varina Post 116(1-0)(RA 2-RS 10)
Kannapolis Post 115 (0-1)(RA 10-RS 2)

7-28-21
Game 4

Cherryville 8
Wayne County 2

Cherryville Post 100(1-0)(RA2-RS8)
Wayne County Post 11(0-1)(RA 8-RS 2)

7-29-21
Game 5 10 am
Kannapolis 9
Rutherford County 4

Kannapolis Post 115 (1-1)(RA 14-RS 11)
Rutherford County Post 423(0-2)(RA15-RS7)

Last edited:
7-29-21
Game 6 1 pm

Wayne County 7
Port City 6

Wayne County Post 11(1-1)(RA 14-RS 9)
Port City Post 545(0-2)(RA 10- RS 8)

Last edited:
7-29-21
Game 7 4 pm

Wilmington 3
Fuquay-Varina 11

Fuquay-Varina Post 116(2-0)(RA 5-RS 21)
Wilmington Post 10(1-1)(RA14-RA9)

Last edited:
7-29-21
Game 8 7 pm

Cherryville 17
Rowan County 1

Cherryville Post 100(2-0)(RA3-RS25)
Rowan County Post 342(1-1)(RA 19-RS 4)

Last edited:
7-30-21
Game 9 10 am

Rutherford County 15
Fuquay-Varina 5

Rutherford County Post 423(1-2)(RA 20- RS 22)
Fuquay-Varina Post 116(2-1)(RA 20-RS 26)

Last edited:
7-30-21
Game 10 1 pm

Rowan County 7
Wayne County 4

Wayne County Post 11(1-2)(RA 21-RS 13)
Rowan County Post 342(2-1)(RA 23-RS 11)

WINNER TO SEMI-FINALS AGAINST FUQUAY-VARINA
TIME 4 PM

Last edited:
7-30-21
Game 11 4 pm

Cherryville 12
Port City 9

Port City Post 545(0-3)(RA 22- RS 17)
Cherryville Post 100(3-0)(RA13-RS37)

Last edited:
7-30-21
Game 12 7 pm

Wilmington 15
Kannapolis 1

Wilmington Post 10(2-1)(RA 15-RS 24)
Kannapolis Post 115 (1-2)(RA 28-RS 12)

WINNER TO SEMI-FINALS AGAINST CHERRYVILLE
TIME 7 PM

Last edited:
Cherryville Post 100 has clinched the #1 spot in the Stars Division with their 17-1 victory over Rowan County tonight no matter what happens in tomorrow's games and will be advancing to semi-finals play on Saturday. They have their pitching lined up such their best two starters will be pitching on Saturday and Sunday (assuming they can win Saturday).

Fuquay-Varina Post 116 has clinched the #1 spot in the Stripes Division.

Last edited:
SEMI-FINALS #1

7-31-21
Game 13
4 pm

Rowan County 5
Fuquay-Varina 12

Rowan County Post 342(2-2)(RA 35-RS 16)
Fuquay-Varina Post 116(3-1)(RA 25-RS 38)

Last edited:
SEMI-FINALS #2

7-31-21
Game 14
7 pm

Cherryville 10
Wilmington 17

Cherryville Post 100(3-1)(RA30-RS47)
Wilmington Post 10(2-1)(RA 25-RS 41)

Last edited:
To Don and Linkman, thanks for keeping everyone abreast of scores and important information about the North Carolina American Legion State baseball tournament.

Linkman, your fellow sportscasters have been calling you Mr. Baseball. They talk about how they're awed with your ability to keep and report numbers. We, down here in Lincolnton, knew you were able to do that, all along. I suppose they hadn't seen you standing near the dugout writing down stats. I'm glad they recognized your abilities. I'm also glad you're from Lincolnton.

Question for either of you or anyone else: Since this is a double-elimination tournament, and since Cherryville is the only team without a loss in the tournament, after three games, wouldn't this put Cherryville in the championship game on Sunday ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Hon Dines
To Don and Linkman, thanks for keeping everyone abreast of scores and important information about the North Carolina American Legion State baseball tournament.

Linkman, your fellow sportscasters have been calling you Mr. Baseball. They talk about how they're awed with your ability to keep and report numbers. We, down here in Lincolnton, knew you were able to do that, all along. I suppose they hadn't seen you standing near the dugout writing down stats. I'm glad they recognized your abilities. I'm also glad you're from Lincolnton.

Question for either of you or anyone else: Since this is a double-elimination tournament, and since Cherryville is the only team without a loss in the tournament, after three games, wouldn't this put Cherryville in the championship game on Sunday ?

Thanks
IMO Cherryville would have to beat Wilmington to be in the finals with this format.

the state tournament needs to be double elimination tournaments the bracket A 2-1 team vs bracket B 2-1 winner should play loser of the bracket A 2-0 team vs bracket B 2-0 team (winner would have to beat the 3-0 team twice, )

Last edited:
Thanks, 55, I remembered tournaments like that which Cherryville was in, the most recent being 2008 in Gastonia. Cherryville had to beat Randolph County, who was undefeated, twice, but lost out in the second game.

I believe this is only the 2nd year that the NC State tournament has used pool play. From 2000 thru 2018 the tournament had been double elimination. I like the position Cherryville is in at this point in the tournament with their pitching. Hopefully they can win today and get into the championship game. Fuquay Varina has a very strong team and I expect them to win today and be in the championship game. But you never know. I'll be pulling for Rowan to beat them today.....just don't think they will.

Lincolnton, thanks for you kind words. But, there is nothing special about my knowledge of baseball. I'm just a numbers, stats guy that loves American Legion baseball.

My love for NCAL baseball started in the 1960's. I use to keep the balls and strikes on the scoreboard at the old ball park in Midway for the Kannapolis American legion team Post 115. Been in love with it since! I've only missed 1 NCAL State tournament since it started in 2000! That was 2011 when it was in the outer banks hosted by Morehead City! Hope to see everyone tomorrow!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lincolnton
Sunday, Aug. 1

Fuquay-Varina 8
Wilmington 6

Championship game
Fuquay-Varina Post 116 (4-1)(RA 31-RS 46)
Wilmington Post 10(3-1)(RA 33-RS 47)

Time 3 PM

All time records in NCAL Sr. State Tournaments with Garner/Fuquay-Varina and Wilmington:
Wilmington 4-2 against Garner/Fuquay-Varina with Fuquay-Varina winning this year.

Last edited:
My love for NCAL baseball started in the 1960's. I use to keep the balls and strikes on the scoreboard at the old ball park in Midway for the Kannapolis American legion team Post 115. Been in love with it since! I've only missed 1 NCAL State tournament since it started in 2000! That was 2011 when it was in the outer banks hosted by Morehead City! Hope to see everyone tomorrow!
Don, you are truly American Legion baseball's number one fan. Couldn't imagine anyone anywhere who loves it more.
Speaking of the old ball park in Kannapolis, I was there, once, as a kid. I went with my Father and some men, to see Cherryville play. They were in a series under the old format. Kannapolis was very good. It must have been in 1961 or 1962. Relatively speaking, Kannapolis had a nice ball park. It's fuzzy, but it seemed like there was a grandstand for home and visitors. Two names I recall from their team was Wagoner and Mills. I remember thinking that those names sounded like baseball players. Sometimes, when I go through Kannapolis, I wonder about where it was located.

Don, you are truly American Legion baseball's number one fan. Couldn't imagine anyone anywhere who loves it more.
Speaking of the old ball park in Kannapolis, I was there, once, as a kid. I went with my Father and some men, to see Cherryville play. They were in a series under the old format. Kannapolis was very good. It must have been in 1961 or 1962. Relatively speaking, Kannapolis had a nice ball park. It's fuzzy, but it seemed like there was a grandstand for home and visitors. Two names I recall from their team was Wagoner and Mills. I remember thinking that those names sounded like baseball players. Sometimes, when I go through Kannapolis, I wonder about where it was located.
It was located off the new loop road. Jim Wagoner went on to play professionally and Harry Mills was a softball Hall of Famer. It had grandstands across the back stop and wooden bleachers on each baseline. Unfortunately it burned to the ground many years ago.

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
starting running the scoreboard some time in the 1990's starting going to legion games in the in 1967 when i was 12 years old , 66 years old now

starting running the scoreboard some time in the 1990's starting going to legion games in the in 1967 when i was 12 years old , 66 years old now
1955 in my user name is the year I was born

the playoffs were 4 out of 7 games to the state finals at one,time first 2 rounds in area 3 were 3 out of 5 games and area 3 semi-finals and finals were 4 out of 7 games area 3 vs area 4 and area 1 vs area 2 were 4 out of 7 games state finals were 4 out 7 games, I liked that format better than , pool play and double elimination format

Last edited:
I too liked the series format for the playoffs but it did not prepare our teams for the regional and World Series double elimination format. I have been following Legion Baseball since the mid to late 1970s. Former Post 10 player from 1980-1982. Lucky enough to win a state championship in 1980 that remains the highlight of my baseball career. Disappointed legion baseball is waning in eastern NC. It is difficult to see Whiteville, Scotland and Hamlet not fielding legion team’s regularly.

I haven’t kept up with legion ball. Use to watch some at one time. I need to get into it. I did however watch Kannaspolis Cannonballers. They have really nice stadium. Really nice place to watch a game.

I too liked the series format for the playoffs but it did not prepare our teams for the regional and World Series double elimination format. I have been following Legion Baseball since the mid to late 1970s. Former Post 10 player from 1980-1982. Lucky enough to win a state championship in 1980 that remains the highlight of my baseball career. Disappointed legion baseball is waning in eastern NC. It is difficult to see Whiteville, Scotland and Hamlet not fielding legion team’s regularly.
I"m pretty sure it was in '80, but possibly '81 when Post 10 played Rowan County for the state championship. If I'm not mistaken, and could very well be, it was game seven at Newman Park in Salisbury when a Post 10 player was rounding third in a tie game and the lights went out. The runner was called safe and Post 10 ended up winning ....I could have this all wrong, but I do know the lights went out. Could you please elaborate as I've been trying to figure this out for years.
P.S. Did Ron Mussleman play for Post 10 when you did ? Thanks in advance.

I cannot remember the lights out play. I know Post 10 won game one 3-2 on a late inning home run and we lost game two. 12-5. Post 10 wrapped up the series in Wilmington in 1980.

We definitely did not play Rowan in 1981.

Names I remember from the 80 series; Coe Brier, Rusty Barber, Tim Kirk, David Lippert, Frank File, Mike Harrison, Jamie Ridenhour David Eury, Nelson Poole and Kevin Honbargar. Forgive me if the spelling is off. I think there were many battles between Buck Hardee / Post 10 and Joe Ferebee/ Rowan over the years. I know Coach Hardee had great respect for Rowan County and their fans.

Ron Musselman was about 10 years before my time. He was an awesome talent and I see him occasionally at breakfast. He owns a bar in Wilmington- Salty Dogs. If you know him or have played against him I am sure he would love you to stop by and talk about the good old days.

Last edited:
with pool play the semi- finals and final is single elimination . best team dont always win one game. best team wins most the time in a 4 out of 7 series. with double elimination format a team has to win at least 4 games to win the tournament and cant lose but one. it take more than 4 wins to come though the losers bracket

Last edited:
with pool play the semi- finals and final is single elimination . best team dont always win one game. best team wins most the time in a 4 out of 7 series. with double elimination format a team has to win at least 4 games to win the tournament and cant lose but one. it take more than 4 wins to come though the losers bracket
I agree with you 100% but there is a different strategy for a double elimination tournament.

I"m pretty sure it was in '80, but possibly '81 when Post 10 played Rowan County for the state championship. If I'm not mistaken, and could very well be, it was game seven at Newman Park in Salisbury when a Post 10 player was rounding third in a tie game and the lights went out. The runner was called safe and Post 10 ended up winning ....I could have this all wrong, but I do know the lights went out. Could you please elaborate as I've been trying to figure this out for years.
P.S. Did Ron Mussleman play for Post 10 when you did ? Thanks in advance.
Wasn’t 81. Cherryville played for title that year. Don’t ask me how I know…🥲

GSO, what was your connection to Rowan, if any, back in the 80’s?
I have absolutely no connection to either Rowan County or Post 10, Mister Cat Scratch, but was vacationing at the beach in the Wilmington area in 1980 when the series was being played. . I read about the " lights out" game in the Wilmington Star the next morning sittin' in the Pony Express Bar and Tavern which was on Wrightsville Avenue. . While vacationing in your area over the years I've seen quite a few games at Legion Stadium, and probably watched you and your team perform in the early '80s, and saw some there in the late 70's, too....A bunch of us went to Legion Stadium in the late seventies, probably in '78, and saw New Hanover play football. Back then New Hanover, Jacksonville, New Bern, Goldsboro, Eastern and Southern Wayne, and maybe Kinston was in that conference, and it was a tough one, too. If I'm not mistaken, Hoggard was in another conference.

There was also an establishment right before the draw bridge in Wrightsville Beach back in the day called Thinkers Hill....If you ever run into Mister Mussleman, ask him if remembers this establishment..
P.S. When he got sent up to The Show with the Seattle Mariners , he had the locker beside Gaylord Perry of Williamston, NC..

Reactions: Hon Dines
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT