ADVERTISEMENT

2021 NCAL SR State Tournament SCORE BOARD

No matter what sport, Wilmington/New Hanover County does it quite well. Post 10 was my second earliest memory of sports in that area, but my earliest memory was hearing of Golden Glove boxer, Jackie Nick Theodore, and who from here might be able to stand up to him.

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
I have absolutely no connection to either Rowan County or Post 10, Mister Cat Scratch, but was vacationing at the beach in the Wilmington area in 1980 when the series was being played. . I read about the " lights out" game in the Wilmington Star the next morning sittin' in the Pony Express Bar and Tavern which was on Wrightsville Avenue. . While vacationing in your area over the years I've seen quite a few games at Legion Stadium, and probably watched you and your team perform in the early '80s, and saw some there in the late 70's, too....A bunch of us went to Legion Stadium in the late seventies, probably in '78, and saw New Hanover play football. Back then New Hanover, Jacksonville, New Bern, Goldsboro, Eastern and Southern Wayne, and maybe Kinston was in that conference, and it was a tough one, too. If I'm not mistaken, Hoggard was in another conference.
I remember rowan winning a game 7 , when they were down by more than 10 runs after 7 innings. that was before the 10 run rule, if they had the 10 run rule or played 7 innings games back then they would have lost

in 1940 the american legion world series was a series. Albemarle ,nc vs San Diego , only 2 teams instead of 8 teams like they have now. i dont see how the regional could have been a series, would have taken 6 rounds to determine a champion , after the first round there would be 32 teams with some team getting bye in the first round, 32, 16, 8, 4, and 2 teams in champion round

at one time teams in area 3 had to win 6 rounds to win the state. first 2 rounds were 3 out 5 and other 4 rounds were 4 out of 7 min of 22 playoff games and max of 38 playoff games to win state

the state finals had to start about 2 weeks before the regional , there were 2 travel days in the state finals . state would be limited to 3 playoff rounds if they uses that playoff format , now to play 6 rounds the playoffs would need to start the first of June.

Last edited:
Wow GSO, you have some knowledge of Wilmington. You are correct, in 1980 the Mid Eastern conference was a 9 team 4A conference. By 1980, Hoggard and NHHS were back in the same conference but as you stated, they weren’t in the mid 70’s.

I must have played in the lights game but it escapes me. I do remember the last play of the series which caused quite a ruckus at the stadium.

I will ask Ron about Thinkers Hill when I see him.

I'm pretty sure it was in '95, Mister Cat Scratch, although it could have been '96, when a Wildcat player from New Hanover had tied the national hitting streak at 50 some games. They were playing Laney that night at Legion Stadium and I asked my friend, Wanda " Avon " Walker, a baseball freak, if she'd like to go. I never knew if it because she was from Avon, N.C. or because she wore way too much perfume , which kind of had a kerosene ish smell....We got to Wilmington probably about an hour and a half before game time, but there was already a large crowd there. I don't remember a lot of details about this game except the player from New Hanover ( I can't for the life of me remember his name ) that had the streak going was shut down by Laney. I do remember his last at bat Laney intentionally walked him...Needless to say, the New Hanover crowd did not like this strategy, and neither did I. Maybe you can remember his name and some details, but it was an enjoyable evening. Wanda, bless her heart , was nearly eaten alive by bugs as we sat down the third base line, but it was more than likely from excessive "perfume " usage. I also saw the Port City Roosters in '96 play a game at UNCW's Brooks Field. The main thing I remember about this event was they sold no adult beverages... If I'm not mistaken, the Roosters only stayed in Wilmington one year.

His name was Shawn Gallagher. He is all over the NCHSAA baseball record books. Five consecutive home runs, 61 RBI in a season and 19 home runs in a season. He was a 4 year starter for the Cats. I think he attended Oklahoma States summer camp which was apparent in his batting stance.
He was drafted in the 5th round.
He eventually graduated from MIT and invented a product to identify explosives on large shipping vessels. I may not have gotten that 100% accurate but it’s close. Of course I didn’t graduate from MIT.

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
His name was Shawn Gallagher. He is all over the NCHSAA baseball record books. Five consecutive home runs, 61 RBI in a season and 19 home runs in a season. He was a 4 year starter for the Cats. I think he attended Oklahoma States summer camp which was apparent in his batting stance.
He was drafted in the 5th round.
He eventually graduated from MIT and invented a product to identify explosives on large shipping vessels. I may not have gotten that 100% accurate but it’s close. Of course I didn’t graduate from MIT
Thanks for the info, Mister Cat Scratch, and what an impressive resume for Mister Gallagher. Its hard to say which is most impressive, his baseball exploits or graduating from MIT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT