10 @ashe_football H
17 @EastWilkes_FB A
24 @SauraPride H
10/1 @starmounthigh A
8 @NorthStokesHS H
15 OPEN
22 @elkin_football H
29 @AhsSparta A
How long if ever, has ES and MA not been in conference together and not played the last game of the season?

How long if ever, has ES and MA not been in conference together and not played the last game of the season?

First time MA and East hasn't been in the Northwest together since 1970. MA and Madison Mayodan joined the NW in 1971 due to them being forced out of that Forsyth/Guilford conference they were in. MA and MM weren't allowed to compete for the conference title in 1971 for some odd technicality but us and MA were the conference game in 1972 in week 3.

It's also the first time we played MA first since 1970 as well. Both the 69 and 70 games were the opener.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Back in the 1970s Mount Airy, North Surry, East Surry, Surry Central, North & South Stokes were 3A along with Madison Mayodan and some others I don't remember. East Surry did not really become a big rivalry until years later when the conference became 1A and Coach Diamont left Mount Airy for East Surry. Back in the mid-or late-1960s until they started dropping to 2A then 1A the big rivalry game was Mount Airy vs North Surry. The conference members changed several times over the years with most of this coming season members being a part of the conference seems like maybe several times. The NWC dropped to 2A and then 1A between the 1980s and around the or 90s 1A. So many years have passed it is kinda hard to remember when they dropped to 2A then 1A but this is the first time all 3 surry county schools have not been a part of the NWC. Elkin and Mount Airy are the only 1A surry county left and now back in the same conference for maybe the 3rd or 4th time since the 1960s. This may not be 100% correct but the rivalry answer is what you ask for and as long as Mount Airy and North Surry were in the same conference that was the game of the year and after NS stayed 2A and MA dropped to 1A the game remained a big rivalry but drop just a little with Mount Airy winning most of the games overall but North Surry did go through where they won maybe 8 games give or take 1 or 2 games straight and after that, it was mostly Mount Airy. If the Mount Airy Bear Historian would give us this history it would be 100% correct. The NWC members have changed many times with Mount Airy, East Surry, and North Stokes being the only members that stayed as NWC from the 1970s to the season-ending 2020-2021. If I am wrong or someone wants to add or correct me please do. It has all become somewhat of a blur over the last 60 plus years. I do know that Coaches Wally Shelton, Alex Gibbs , Jerry Hollingsworth and Kelly Holder were Mount Airy's best from the names I remember. When they only had a Eastern & Western State Championship, Alex Gibbs won the 3A 1968 western championship before moving on to a college and then a NFL coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sportsnut17
Back in the 1970s Mount Airy, North Surry, East Surry, Surry Central, East Surry, North & South Stokes were 3A along with Madison Mayodan and some others I don't remember. East Surry did not really become a big rivalry until years later when the conference became 1A and Coach Diamont left Mount Airy for East Surry. Back in the mid-1960s until they started dropping to 2A then 1A the big rivalry game was Mount Airy vs North Surry. The conference members changed several times over the years with most of this coming season members being a part of the conference seems like maybe several times. The NWC dropped to 2A and then 1A between the 1980s and around the or 90s 1A. So many years have passed it is kinda hard to remember when the dropped to 2A then 1A but this is the first time all 3 surry county schools have not been a part of the NWC. Elkin and Mount Airy are the only 1A surry county left and now back in the same conference for maybe the 3rd or 4th time since the 1960s. This may not be 100% correct but the rivalry answer is what you ask for and as long as Mount Airy and North Surry were in the same conference that was the game of the year and after NS stayed 2A and MA dropped to 1A the game remained a big rivalry but drop just a little with Mount Airy winning most of the games overall but North Surry did go through where they won maybe 8 games give or take 1 or 2 games straight and after that, it was mostly Mount Airy. If the Mount Airy Bear Historian would give us this history it would be 100% correct. The NWC members have changed many times with Mount Airy, East Surry, and North Stokes being the only members that stayed as NWC from the 1970s to the season-ending 2020-2021. If I am wrong or someone wants to add or correct me please do. It has all become somewhat of a blur over the last 60 plus years. I do know that Coaches Wally Shelton, Alex Gibbs , Jerry Hollingsworth and Kelly Holder were Mount Airy's best from the names I remember. When they only had a Eastern & Western State Championship, Alex Gibbs won the 1968 western championship before moving on to a college and then a NFL coach.
WOW, I got started with fond memories and couldn't stop. Those were my good ole days. Sorry for going on & on. I had a great life of memories !
I Think I'm Done, it's been fun.....

Last edited:
2021 @GraniteBears šŸˆ Schedule (Fall)
8/20 @NSHS_Football H
27 @ES_CardinalsFB A
9/3 @TheBigSCSports A
10 @ashe_football H
17 @EastWilkes_FB A
24 @SauraPride H
10/1 @starmounthigh A
8 @NorthStokesHS H
15 OPEN
22 @elkin_football H
29 @AhsSparta A
Was this springs game with Pisgah just a one year deal or will MA come to canton sometiime down the road?

Was this springs game with Pisgah just a one year deal or will MA come to canton sometiime down the road?
Hopefully again sometime soon. But the schedule for the next 4 years may be set for the 4 years. The only one I could imagine pulling out would be Ashe Co. but probably not. Also, I hope to see an 11 game season come back.

8/20 @NSHS_Football H
27 @ES_CardinalsFB A
9/3 @TheBigSCSports A
10 @ashe_football H
17 @EastWilkes_FB A
24 @SauraPride H
10/1 @starmounthigh A
8 @NorthStokesHS H
15 OPEN
22 @elkin_football H
29 @AhsSparta A
Thank you for clarifying. When I think of Surry Central "The Big SC" isn't exactly what comes to mind. lol

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
8/20 @NSHS_Football H
27 @ES_CardinalsFB A
9/3 @TheBigSCSports A
10 @ashe_football H
17 @EastWilkes_FB A
24 @SauraPride H
10/1 @starmounthigh A
8 @NorthStokesHS H
15 OPEN
22 @elkin_football H
29 @AhsSparta A
MaxPrep has Mount Airy's Schedule all screwed up. 7 Non-Conference 2 Conference. Missing a game (North Surry).

Fri, 8/27
7:30pm
East Surry Mascot
East SurryPilot Mountain
Away ā€¢ Non-Conference
Preview
Fri, 9/3
Surry Central Mascot
Surry CentralDobson
Away ā€¢ Non-Conference
Preview
Fri, 9/10
Ashe County Mascot
Ashe CountyWest Jefferson
Home ā€¢ Non-Conference
Preview
Fri, 9/17
East Wilkes Mascot
East WilkesRonda
Away ā€¢ Non-Conference
Preview
Fri, 9/24
South Stokes Mascot
South StokesWalnut Cove
Home ā€¢ Conference
Preview
Fri, 10/1
Starmount Mascot
StarmountBoonville
Away ā€¢ Non-Conference
Preview
Fri, 10/8
North Stokes Mascot
North StokesDanbury
Home ā€¢ Conference
Preview
Fri, 10/22
Elkin Mascot
Elkin
Home ā€¢ Non-Conference
Preview
Fri, 10/29
Alleghany Mascot
AlleghanySparta
Away ā€¢ Non-Conference

Last edited:
2021 GraniteBears šŸˆ Schedule (Fall)
Non-conference
8/20 North Surry - Home
8/27 @ East Surry
9/3 @ Surry Central
9/10 Ashe County - Home

Conference
9/17 @ East Wilkes
9/24 South Stokes - Home
10/1 @ Starmount
10/8 North Stokes - Home
10/15 OPEN
10/22 Elkin - Home
10/29 @ Alleghany
Just a reminder of Mount Airy's NWC schedule Bareman posted.

Reactions: UNC91 and Bearfan71
Heard thru the grapevine that Wilmoth would hang a hundred on the Bears if he could. Said he was extremely excited about his Transfers and for the first time in years they had enough speed to get around the edges at East Wilkes and a QB that could throw it around some. Felt like he had something for the Bears. That comes from a very good source. But sounds like Heart Pump seen something else. First i heard about the Gosnell kid. I hear the Bears are gonna be pretty good. Any word on how they looked yesterday at scrimmage and who and where do they scrimmage Friday or do they have one scheduled? Gonna be good to finally watch a little Friday night football again . been to long.

Reactions: realjoejr
Ma scheduled to play at George Wythe Friday in Wythville Va. Herd Galax under qauranteen and thats who they were to play so idk. Alot of rain all next week. Seen Ew in 7on 7 on tape they got some good looking kids and two qbs that can sling it. but come on nobody rushing them.

Heard thru the grapevine that Wilmoth would hang a hundred on the Bears if he could. Said he was extremely excited about his Transfers and for the first time in years they had enough speed to get around the edges at East Wilkes and a QB that could throw it around some. Felt like he had something for the Bears. That comes from a very good source. But sounds like Heart Pump seen something else. First i heard about the Gosnell kid. I hear the Bears are gonna be pretty good. Any word on how they looked yesterday at scrimmage and who and where do they scrimmage Friday or do they have one scheduled? Gonna be good to finally watch a little Friday night football again . been to long.
The kid they got from Wilkes central is a game breaking athlete. Not sure what position he will play but he is a game changer

Reactions: realjoejr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT