ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball 2021 american legion baseball

BASEBALLFAN1955

Jul 6, 2010
North Carolina high school baseball want end until June 11, how will that effect american legion baseball ? area 3 playoffs normally start by the first Friday in July jr legion playoffs start before that.

Well considering Legion starts around May 15 and regular season ending around Jul 1, I thinks it’s going to be tough to have a season. That June 11 date is regular season ending, not counting adding on for playoffs.

Reactions: NWWatchdog
They normally get what 5 days after regular season before playoffs start right? I wouldn't be surprised if playoffs start June 15th.

I think National is going to have to make a big choice about regionals and World Series. A lot of states have pushed back their high school seasons. I saw in Iowa that they are going to play Legion baseball before the high school season. Legion will run March and April. High School baseball will be May-July. So if there is regionals the team that won in April will go to the regionals in July.

So they are going to have to make a choice about regionals and world series by January or February. Since other states are starting so early.

Remember, if there are no regionals or world series, each state will bel allowed to decide if they are going to have a state only season. (Which they said last year and then canceled everything). If there is no regionals or world series, NC will be ok. Look at what South Carolina did with their independent league. Ran a full season from July to August and crowned a state champion.

My concern though is there has to be fans in the stands for a lot of these teams to pay bills.

Also the biggest obstacle people don't think about is the teams that use High School fields. Most school districts I know are not currently renting any facilities out. That is a huge step that will have to be taken for those teams that use high school fields.

Also the biggest obstacle people don't think about is the teams that use High School fields. Most school districts I know are not currently renting any facilities out. That is a huge step that will have to be taken for those teams that use high school fields.
This plus if districts allow it, they will not be available until after completion of season.

it would hard to play the regular season in March thru April and start the playoffs July 1. because some of the legion players would be playing football in March and April . sense they dont have a Jr national tournament they could play the state tournament in August.

Last edited:
Mass is playing their regular season in March and April., their playoff will start in July . the high school baseball season runs April 25 to July 3, their legion regular season and football will be played at the same time.

Last edited:
I dont see how they can have area playoffs without a regular season, but they could have a regular season with out a playoff, the top 2 teams in each area during the regular season would go to the state tournament. would need to play each team in your area twice during the regular season

This plus if districts allow it, they will not be available until after completion of season.
if you cant use high school fields in March and April to play the legion regular season, it will hard to determine a state champion by August 1, and you cant use high school fields until the state high school playoffs are over, sense the high school playoffs want start until after June 11, nationals want 8 teams in each regional

high school fields may not be available in March or April because of covid -19 if legion teams can't use high school fileds until July they would leave less than month for the regular season and state playoffs,

if you cant use high school fields in March and April to play the legion regular season, it will hard to determine a state champion by August 1, and you cant use high school fields until the state high school playoffs are over, sense the high school playoffs want start until after June 11, nationals want 8 teams in each regional

I think most of those teams in Iowa use Rec Fields

what is the earliest North Carolina could determine a legion state champion,? high school regular season ends June 11, it would be July when high school states champions will be determined,

April 12 April 26 June 11 Regular season
Tue. June 15 First round
Thu. June 17 Second Round
Sat., June 19 Third round
Tue., June 22 Regional
June 25-26 State Championship

I would have to think that they would start the regular season June 21st. May have to play with what you have available if other players are still in playoffs.

wonder want date the rosters would be cut to 18 players.? if Iowa plays their regular season in March and April could they add players in July when the playoffs starts, some of the players will be playing high school sports in March and April normally the rosters are due in June under national rules,

Last edited:
wonder want date the rosters would be cut to 18 players.? if Iowa plays their regular season in March and April could they add players in July when the playoffs starts, some of the players will be playing high school sports in March and April normally the rosters are due in June under national rules,

I would assume for them, once their playoffs start that's their final 18.

I would have to think that they would start the regular season June 21st. May have to play with what you have available if other players are still in playoffs.
to determine state champion by August 1 the area playoffs would need to start July 1, would have to have a short regular season

It will be interesting in Thomasville. The Finch Field contract always gives Thomasville High School first priority for practices, games and the conference tournament.

It will be interesting in Thomasville. The Finch Field contract always gives Thomasville High School first priority for practices, games and the conference tournament.
And the CPL will start before HS is over also.

a 4 team state tournament could be played in 2 or 3 days,

day 1, game 1, area 1 champ vs area 2 champ ,

game 2 , area 3 champ vs ares 4 champ

game 3, game 1 loser vs game 2 loser

game 4 , game l winner vs game 2 winner

day 2 games 5, winner of 3 vs loser of game 4

game 6, winner of game 4 vs winner of game 5

day 3 game 7, rematch of game 6 if needed,

they could start legion baseball May 15 if they use 2020, graduates , if the birth certificates have to be turned in June 25 and some players still playing High School baseball June 26 that will be another issue,

NCHSAA realignment, close to the same number of teams in each classification, america legion should do the same. move some teams from area 4 to area 3,move some teams from area 3 to area 1 , move some teams from area 1 to area 2, if there area 52 teams each area would have 13 teams. in 2019 all most half of the Jr teams were in area 3,

Not sure where you are from, but most teams are running on a shoestring budget. your suggestion would create additional travel And expenses. Now if you are from Rowan, Randolph or High Point where money is not an issue, then travel wherever you like. You realize how low the numbers are for Senior teams in NC. Most Legion post offer no or very little financial help. They don’t have the money themselves.

Not sure where you are from, but most teams are running on a shoestring budget. your suggestion would create additional travel And expenses. Now if you are from Rowan, Randolph or High Point where money is not an issue, then travel wherever you like. You realize how low the numbers are for Senior teams in NC. Most Legion post offer no or very little financial help. They don’t have the money themselves.
Another season of a twenty five fan limit, and High Point (really Thomasville) may not be in the black.

union county and Huntersville would have less travel in area,3 Greensboro in area 1

Last edited:
some coaches want be about to coach american legion games in March and April , if they are a college coach . will high school coaches be aloud to coach a legion team before the high school season is over ?

I think you may run into High school coaches telling their pitchers that they don't want them throwing before their high school season.

I think you may run into High school coaches telling their pitchers that they don't want them throwing before their high school season.
High school coaches aren’t the worry, their “Showcase “ coach might have a problem. They rule the roost now.

I don't think you'll see as many early showcase tournaments this year. Most HS coaches won't allow their players to do weekend travel ball or legion ball during their HS season, especially pitchers. I'd be surprised if there are many/any showcase tournaments for HS age kids before June 18-20. By June 19th you're in the 3rd Round of the playoffs (which will be the equivalent of normal 4th Round, since the playoffs have been shortened). There will only be 8 teams remaining in each classification by June 19th, so the return of both Legion and Showcase ball seems very feasible starting that weekend.

I don't think you'll see as many early showcase tournaments this year. Most HS coaches won't allow their players to do weekend travel ball or legion ball during their HS season, especially pitchers. I'd be surprised if there are many/any showcase tournaments for HS age kids before June 18-20. By June 19th you're in the 3rd Round of the playoffs (which will be the equivalent of normal 4th Round, since the playoffs have been shortened). There will only be 8 teams remaining in each classification by June 19th, so the return of both Legion and Showcase ball seems very feasible starting that weekend.
if legion ball start June 19, the legion regular season or playoffs will need to be shorter than normal ,if regional start august 3

Last edited:
Showcase events scheduled in High Point March 27-28 and April 17-18 at Truist (Rockers) Stadium.

Showcase events scheduled in High Point March 27-28 and April 17-18 at Truist (Rockers) Stadium.
OC, if I had to guess, these showcases will under HS ages. There are some starting in February.
Can‘t pass up those dollars!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

OC, if I had to guess, these showcases will under HS ages. There are some starting in February.
Can‘t pass up those dollars!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Could be. I’m not that familiar with showcase. But I completely agree with your comment about the money. We see that far too often here in Thomasville. There was a request to have a high school aged league at the city owned field in February and March. Partially due to COVID, the request was denied.

Could be. I’m not that familiar with showcase. But I completely agree with your comment about the money. We see that far too often here in Thomasville. There was a request to have a high school aged league at the city owned field in February and March. Partially due to COVID, the request was denied.
The one thing that I despise about these tournaments, I almost never call them showcase, (they are only showcasing for their immediate family members) is the local community or little league ball is gone. But a certain few are getting rich. I am not sure about your local situation but I know people making 6 figures running tournaments.

Reactions: Linkman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT