ADVERTISEMENT

2020 NCPreps.com 4A Pre-Season Power Rankings

I know their roster changes every year with new guys, and their coaching has been suspect, but Hough has a unprecedented 22 new guys, and they’re not just average players. Probably 16 to 19 FBS guys on the roster.

Reactions: portcity FB
Not from the area so don’t know why?? This has been said the past few years about hough, a kind of revolving door of really good players, what’s the reason and exactly why can’t they seem to get closer to the ultimate goal.
Scotland top 15 unsure on that, but Scots have a recent history of finding a way .

Not from the area so don’t know why?? This has been said the past few years about hough, a kind of revolving door of really good players, what’s the reason and exactly why can’t they seem to get closer to the ultimate goal.
Scotland top 15 unsure on that, but Scots have a recent history of finding a way .
Comes down to mediocre culture and average coaching. Money cant buy that

Reactions: scots roll
we are what we always have been in the mix

Comes down to mediocre culture and average coaching. Money cant buy that

I think overwhelming talent can get you 10 wins and through a couple of rounds of playoffs depending on the schedule. Its those last 2 wins that become the problem. I also get nervous when I see that many kids with multiple offers going into the season. Motivation declines and coachability becomes much harder. 4 or 5 kids dreaming about Athens, Tuscaloosa or Columbus and suddenly HS rings in late November lack importance.

2016 Mallard Creek team had 3 Olineman with SEC offers and could never run the ball with any consistency. Talent wasnt the issue.....focus was.

I havent seen the Hudson kid throw the ball yet. I hear he is special.

Reactions: btango
I think overwhelming talent can get you 10 wins and through a couple of rounds of playoffs depending on the schedule. Its those last 2 wins that become the problem. I also get nervous when I see that many kids with multiple offers going into the season. Motivation declines and coachability becomes much harder. 4 or 5 kids dreaming about Athens, Tuscaloosa or Columbus and suddenly HS rings in late November lack importance.

2016 Mallard Creek team had 3 Olineman with SEC offers and could never run the ball with any consistency. Talent wasnt the issue.....focus was.

Sounds like you might need to add Chapel Hill to that list. Lol

That's y in picking Richmond cty as my early favorite. Losing the way they did the last 2 yrs with so much coming back...gotta think Hood is going to will that team to bring that Raider magic back.

Well aware of Rara & Ritzie. Concern is on the other side of the ball. 6 games scoring 14 or less.
Dudley won that way a few years back. Granted their O was better than 14 because that is putrid but that Glenn D is Freaking stacked. A lot more than just the kids headed to UNC. Put that OLB at tailback and he will score some points if they can block air for a second. I hear that kid is a legit 4.4.

Dudley won that way a few years back. Granted their O was better than 14 because that is putrid but that Glenn D is Freaking stacked. A lot more than just the kids headed to UNC. Put that OLB at tailback and he will score some points if they can block air for a second. I hear that kid is a legit 4.4.

Yea that O was a lot better than this Glenn O. 4 ypc rushing and 18 INT's from your QB ain't gonna get it done.

I know their roster changes every year with new guys, and their coaching has been suspect, but Hough has a unprecedented 22 new guys, and they’re not just average players. Probably 16 to 19 FBS guys on the roster.

A better collection of talent doesn't always mean a better team. I've seen this play out several times in recent years, especially in CMS schools.

A better collection of talent doesn't always mean a better team. I've seen this play out several times in recent years, especially in CMS schools.
Oh I agree. Last year MC was one of the most loaded teams in school history. Bye week, than Vance. Than Home watching in the stands.

Reactions: Raiders Rollin
Can't rely on the D to shutout every opponent. Gonna have to score some points.

Exactly. Their D was game for about 2 quarters against us (East Forsyth) but couldn't sustain that effort in second half.

We had guys missing offensively and managed to drop 40 on them. If they haven't improved on O that D as good as it's advertised will wear out again.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
Exactly. Their D was game for about 2 quarters against us (East Forsyth) but couldn't sustain that effort in second half.

We had guys missing offensively and managed to drop 40 on them. If they haven't improved on O that D as good as it's advertised will wear out again.

Exactly.

How will the top 20 do now? Since the top Seniors will enroll early College classes. I am aware that programs like Hough and Vance losing Echols to College will not play in the Spring. Is their any programs with tremendous talent of underclassmen that might have a shot at the Title?

portcity,how about Hoggard and New Hanover this year?
Hoggard will be similar to last years team. They had so many injuries on defense that they were able to develop many younger guys and they should be good on defense. On offense I just do not see a big difference. They lost 4 lineman, TE, and 1 WR and their RB's on offense. They may have a little more speed at RB and they have 2 nice players at WR but other than that there isn't much change with an offense that struggled. Hoggard has some nice pieces but still lacks good speed at the skilled pos. Hoggard has 2 very good QB but neither one could seem to get going last year. Johnson (Sr) has D1 talent and offers and is the 4th rated pro style QB in NC. Jones (Jr) has developed well and will probably have some D1 offers by the end of the year. They were rotated last year and it really did not work for either kid.
NH lost a lot of talent but as usual they have a lot of talent coming back. I thought their JV team had talent but nothing special. NH will be lead on offense by a soph QB that is highly touted. He has done very well in the off season with camps but will have to do it under game time pressure. NH will be good but I do not see them as good as last year. NH had the best RB and WR in the conference and they are gone. Nixon was a solid Sr Qb that had a great arm and could run when needed. They will be the team to beat in the conference for sure. I think WB will be good again as well but not as good as last year.

Port city that hoggard team that lost to scotland when scotland went for two was loaded I really enjoyed that game. How are any of those players doing today the QB receivers and dbs were really good.

Port city that hoggard team that lost to scotland when scotland went for two was loaded I really enjoyed that game. How are any of those players doing today the QB receivers and dbs were really good.
One of the best games ever.
QB- Is starting at UNCP
WR’s- NCSU and Campbell. One walked on at ECU but I do the think he’s playing anymore.
CB-Duke transferred to ECU.

There are a couple of reasons that teams that stack themselves full of D1 commits don't win titles. One, talent doesn't win titles, "teams" win titles. Also, just because a guy has a D1 offer doesn't mean that he is D1 ready. That offer could be based primarily on measurables.

with Power Echols enrolling in college in the spring, is Vance still your #1 team?

I think it’s safe to say these ranking should be scrapped up and redone. Great work by the ones that worked on the list but with some top tier kids opting out to go to college rosters will look different. Also, with a extra 6 month offseason I expect more transfers to occur. Coaches are still moving around till this day. LJ at mallard creek just left for South Point in rock hill to link up with his old HS teammate. McFadden who coached at Myers Park just moved over within the conference to Butler also.

Whats up with LJ? He has moved around pretty often this offseason lol. Great coach though he will succeed down there in rock hill..happy for him.

Congrats to Power Echols great special young man will do big things at unc he will be missed. Vance is still talented athletic well coached couple talented transfers in and still has great players from the championship team they will be there when it counts 704 where you at pray all is well.

Reactions: 704CougarsDad
I think it’s safe to say these ranking should be scrapped up and redone. Great work by the ones that worked on the list but with some top tier kids opting out to go to college rosters will look different. Also, with a extra 6 month offseason I expect more transfers to occur. Coaches are still moving around till this day. LJ at mallard creek just left for South Point in rock hill to link up with his old HS teammate. McFadden who coached at Myers Park just moved over within the conference to Butler also.

Whats up with LJ? He has moved around pretty often this offseason lol. Great coach though he will succeed down there in rock hill..happy for him.

LJ 1st move was more of an emotional move. This move will bump his pay up, with more responsibility. I believe it’s a good fit. The guy works effortlessly. Wishing him well. The Creek is still loaded, and we’re finally the hunters, and not the Hunted. Looking forward to next year.

Reactions: Wiseman83
Congrats to Power Echols great special young man will do big things at unc he will be missed. Vance is still talented athletic well coached couple talented transfers in and still has great players from the championship team they will be there when it counts 704 where you at pray all is well.
crazy yr....he will truly b missed but we still have some studs over there. Crazy to see how things play out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT