ADVERTISEMENT

2020 NCPreps 1A Pre-Season Power Rankings

Nice to see these Charter schools moving into football at the 1A level like they have for basketball all these years. (Sarcasm). That East Surry team must be loaded again to be ahead of Tarboro. I thought they lost a lot to graduation?

Surprised to see Swain that high after losing Sain. (Or did I dream that?) Also really really surprised to see Mitchell that high after losing the line they lost not to mention QB and WR’s.

Just hope we get to see this play out but I have my doubts.

Nice to see these Charter schools moving into football at the 1A level like they have for basketball all these years. (Sarcasm). That East Surry team must be loaded again to be ahead of Tarboro. I thought they lost a lot to graduation?

They still have two major division 1 recruits

East Surry still has a lot of talent. They may not be the best team in the state, but they are definitely in the top 3-4 and will compete for another deep playoff run. The shocker to me is seeing WS Prep ranked ahead of Mt.Airy. Not that they need it, but I’m sure that will give the Bears a nice chip on their shoulder and have them more than ready to prove themselves in NW1A play.

Last edited:
Mitchell will be very young, but with a lot of talent. Their JV squad has been really good the past couple of years, but I doubt we get the chance to see it play out until the Spring.

Reactions: paul Graham 1A
How will the top 20 do now? Since the top Seniors will enroll early College classes and will not play in the Spring. I saw where East Surry player will not play in the Spring. Is their any programs with tremendous talent of underclassmen that might a shot at moving up in the rankings?

look for Avery County to surprise some folks.
If we had had a regular season, Avery could have been in fine shape come playoff time. This shouldve been the year that the Avery/Mitchell rivalry looked like its old self. 4 more months of conditioning will do nothing but help Mitchells young squad, but it will likely hurt senior-heavy teams...

Another issue for Avery could be the pass heavy offense in Newland in early season. Harder to throw and catch a frozen brick. Geez, Feb. games in WNC could be brutal. Hope for a mild winter for football. But yeah, Avery could put up big numbers this season.

Go Mountaineers

East Surry still has a good amount of talent. Gosnell might be the best 1A player in the state, and they have a good amount of DII players left on that team. Losing Washington because of the season being moved is a big loss on the defensive side though.

Reactions: Steelers71
If we had had a regular season, Avery could have been in fine shape come playoff time. This shouldve been the year that the Avery/Mitchell rivalry looked like its old self. 4 more months of conditioning will do nothing but help Mitchells young squad, but it will likely hurt senior-heavy teams...

Avery has to replace most of their line, the extra few months will help their strength, but their passing game will be solid with most of their play makers back. Avery has one of the best coaches around , really think they will much improve

Another issue for Avery could be the pass heavy offense in Newland in early season. Harder to throw and catch a frozen brick. Geez, Feb. games in WNC could be brutal. Hope for a mild winter for football. But yeah, Avery could put up big numbers this season.

Go Mountaineers
Agree with you cold weather will slow passing attack down , Bryan is excellent coach he will make adjustments.

East Surry will still be good (have a good o-line coming back and a big time D1 TE/OLB) but they are in the pack now with the tier of teams below Tarboro like Murphy and Robbinsville. You can't lose your D1 QB, starting RB, D1 WR, two walk on D1 WR's, D1 d-lineman and about 7 other starters on defense and be even remotely as good.

It seems quite likely East are still a top 5 team this season, but given the way Tarboro reloads with their pool of athletes no chance they should be ranked higher than them in my opinion.

East Surry will still be good (have a good o-line coming back and a big time D1 TE/OLB) but they are in the pack now with the tier of teams below Tarboro like Murphy and Robbinsville. You can't lose your D1 QB, starting RB, D1 WR, two walk on D1 WR's, D1 d-lineman and about 7 other starters on defense and be even remotely as good.

It seems quite likely East are still a top 5 team this season, but given the way Tarboro reloads with their pool of athletes no chance they should be ranked higher than them in my opinion.
I think Mount Airy will become a top 10 team by midseason. Seems they always do. This strange season anything could happen.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Speaking of privates and charters. Christ school is scheduled to have a home game this Friday with Rabun out of GA. Does anyone know if that’s still in NC or has it moved to Ga? If it is still on in NC will fans be aloud to attend?

Reactions: Swaindad40
Speaking of privates and charters. Christ school is scheduled to have a home game this Friday with Rabun out of GA. Does anyone know if that’s still in NC or has it moved to Ga? If it is still on in NC will fans be aloud to attend?

Not sure, but it’s going to be on My40 out of Asheville.

The game is at Christ School with no family, fans or even the students and teachers who live and work on campus. The game will be on my40 and live streamed here:
https://christschool.us19.list-mana...b5f89f94ad3fd87cd3&id=779c294b8b&e=6efaa93fb9

Reactions: UNC91
The game is at Christ School with no family, fans or even the students and teachers who live and work on campus. The game will be on my40 and live streamed here:
https://christschool.us19.list-mana...b5f89f94ad3fd87cd3&id=779c294b8b&e=6efaa93fb9
Is Christ School, a private NC school ? Ok I found them. They play Rabun Gap-Nacoochee twice. The 1st game at Christ School and the 2nnd at Rabun Gap-Nacoochee ...

Last edited:
East Surry still has a lot of talent. They may not be the best team in the state, but they are definitely in the top 3-4 and will compete for another deep playoff run. The shocker to me is seeing WS Prep ranked ahead of Mt.Airy. Not that they need it, but I’m sure that will give the Bears a nice chip on their shoulder and have them more than ready to prove themselves in NW1A play.
Also didn't expect to see Elkin ahead of Mount Airy. I see Mount Airy finishing 10 to 12th if not a spot or 2 even better.

Reactions: realjoejr
Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Well, I’m not sure how true it is but word is around the area that Tarboro will be small 1A this season due to numbers dropping a ton!

Reactions: BK13T-$
Hope it doesn't come to a point were Tarboro and North Edgecombe to consolidate. Tarboro is too much of a prideful School.

I guess that Prep School in Tarboro took away their students, but not their athletes. I would like to see Tarboro at 2A. Last I heard Tarboro was supposed to bring industries to the area. And to boost the town growth.
The prep school & early college has. Three high schools all walking distance apart

I know they’re 2a but same concerns in Ashe Co.
Ashe will look very good regardless, Excellent QB and 1 big threat on the outside, their tailback is a tough hardnosed kid. Even with weather concerns I'm not sure anyone in the MVAC will stop them. As for the top 20, looks good but preseason anything doesn't mean much. If I had already committed to play college ball, I would certainly not be playing in the spring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT