ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball 2020 NC State Tournament location

Linkman

Jun 14, 2009
Area IV will be hosting the state tournament in 2020. I understand that Cherryville, Caldwell County, and Union County have or will be submitting bids for the tournament.

Cherryville hosted the tournament last year after no team from Area III submitted a bid. Union County hosted the tournament the last time it was Area IV's turn (2016). I have heard that state officials as well as last year's participating teams were very pleased with how well the tournament was run in Cherryville. However, I doubt they give it to Cherryville in two consecutive years. My bet is it will end up being awarded to Caldwell County.

Area IV will be hosting the state tournament in 2020. I understand that Cherryville, Caldwell County, and Union County have or will be submitting bids for the tournament.

Cherryville hosted the tournament last year after no team from Area III submitted a bid. Union County hosted the tournament the last time it was Area IV's turn (2016). I have heard that state officials as well as last year's participating teams were very pleased with how well the tournament was run in Cherryville. However, I doubt they give it to Cherryville in two consecutive years. My bet is it will end up being awarded to Caldwell County.

Would Caldwell County play at their field? Would they use Caldwell Community College or Lenoir Rhyne?

Would Caldwell County play at their field? Would they use Caldwell Community College or Lenoir Rhyne?

I assume they would use their field since that's what they have done in the past when they have hosted the state tournament.

I doubt they want a state tourney on that field to keep the grass nice before the World Series!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. As Don indicated, last year Kings Mtn Post 155 and Shelby Post 82 combined to be Cleveland County Post 82-155. In 2018 I believe Kings Mtn played their games at Kings Mtn high school which I don't think has enough seating/facilities for a state tournament.

Who knows....Cherryville may get it 2 years in a row. All the teams and state officials were pleased with how well Cherryville ran the tournament last year.

Reactions: Hon Dines
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. As Don indicated, last year Kings Mtn Post 155 and Shelby Post 82 combined to be Cleveland County Post 82-155. In 2018 I believe Kings Mtn played their games at Kings Mtn high school which I don't think has enough seating/facilities for a state tournament.

Who knows....Cherryville may get it 2 years in a row. All the teams and state officials were pleased with how well Cherryville ran the tournament last year.
The parking lots were repaved last week at Cherryville...2 years in a row is a possibility!

Reactions: burnsbulldogtweeter
The Shelby Shopper reported at the beginning of January that Kings Mountain was going to host...and I shared it...but take it with a grain of salt because I have seen nothing from the Shelby Star. But it doesn’t make sense to have it at KM unless they get a ton of bleachers. Cherryville does seem feasible. Or they would have a little time to work on Keeter Stadium between the state tournament and the ALWS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hon Dines
The Shelby Shopper reported at the beginning of January that Kings Mountain was going to host...and I shared it...but take it with a grain of salt because I have seen nothing from the Shelby Star. But it doesn’t make sense to have it at KM unless they get a ton of bleachers. Cherryville does seem feasible. Or they would have a little time to work on Keeter Stadium between the state tournament and the ALWS.

Well, the article certainly makes it sound like the decision has been made to award it to KM. It's been several years since I've been to the KM field, so maybe things are different now. Interesting that there was no mention of KM Post 155 being part of a combination Cleveland County team of KM and Shelby. Since KM has a new commander maybe the plans are not to have the combo team this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT